Clean Timing 1.0 - UI element that removes clutter and helps you beat your lap time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jameswesty, Feb 8, 2012.

1. modmate

modmate Registered

Thats absolutely not true! For example Trackmap got a very nice design and fits perfect into RF2.

Look at the pic.

http://isiforums.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=1019&d=1328382885

You can edit / Disable each seen HUD element. No FPS loss, not even 1! Also its verry easy to use. So whats your point against Trackmap?

Greets Modmate

2. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I'm sure its functional and works fine but visually its quite messy and the elements take up a large amount of screen space. My design takes up near to no screen space is a single line and yet presents a good proportion of what Trackmap shows and all information a driver would need to improve there lap , know there position and know the gap between them and guy in front and behind.

I know you can turn off bits of track map but even then each component is visually quite chunky. For example look at the position box or the lap box the black back ground for them has a bevel of around 10-15 pixels when a more subtle bevel of 4-6 pixels would look far sharper and clean. With allot of these UI mods They end up looking like a bunch of boxes stuck all over the screen rather than something that subtly blends in or feels like it belongs in the game but at the same time is clear to read.

I understand you might also be able to edit parts of it but my solution is more as a default out of the box thing I'm prity sure most users of Rf2 wont want to use Photoshop and would like the core timing to be presented in a clean and simple way.

Obviously one advantage of people making these as mods is that users can pick and chose. In the end some people might prefer the more clunky design of Trackmap To me it has a very 1980s British military feel to it which I quite like.

A disadvantage of depending on the community to produce content is that most of the time it will not be as good as what a full time professional working directly with the development team can produce. ( that's not knocking the talent of modders its more a time ,resources and pipeline issue)

I would hope by the end of the beta ISI produce there own clean and minimal UI that they bundle with the game and move away from the clunky UI they have had since RF1 but then include the old school Rf1 interface as a gadget people can activate if they want some nostalgia.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012
  3. modmate

modmate Registered

Thats not ok mate!
    The graphics of the trackmap plugin are very fine! Also, you can edit each HUD element in size and position very easy.
    I guess you try to push your own things to far, maybe yours look "chunky", but not the trackmap, thats BS for sure.

4. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I objectively explained the the issues with trackmap . I thought I was also clear that some people may still like it regardless as ultimately what you enjoy is largely a subjective experience.

"I guess you try to push your own things to far"

Its not about what "I like" Its basic graphic design principles.

"maybe yours look "chunky", but not the trackmap, thats BS for sure"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chunky

- chunk·y   [chuhng-kee] Show IPA
    adjective, chunk·i·er, chunk·i·est.
    1. thick or stout; stocky.
    2. in chunks.

By definition my design is not chunky and is certanly less chunky than trackmap , it takes up less pixels of the screen it has smaller bevels the gap between the txt and the back ground is smaller.

I even explained specifically how Track map is "chunky" and It was also clear I was actually referring to the Rfactor UI and not Track map , although both are chunky.

I'm sorry but just saying something is "BS" but not critically explaining why is counter productive , I don't understand the point of being so emotive ether.

Please do some research into graphic design , game interfaces , how users eyes move across the screen , how people read information , how sometimes less but more targeted information can be better than presenting the user with everything at once , where peoples eye line will be when they are driving , how back ground colour and txt colour affect legibility , how font size and font type affect legibility.

Someone rightly pointed out to me that the delta times would benefit from being slightly lower than the rest of the txt as this reduces the amount the players eyes have to travel to quickly view if they are up or down on the delta. So my Design is far from perfect it was just a quick mock-up.

It would also be the case that most graphic designers would slap me for using Arial as a font ;)

Its also a very legitimate point that users might want to move UI items around but as I explained before the Idea I was trying to convey was to have something that is a solid foundation that also looked clean and modern.

Aside from improving functionality a slick in game UI would help differentiate RF2 from Rf1.

5. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

If ISI wants to include a "clean" display, as you're suggesting, I think that is fine. However, Gjon himself already suggested someone else develop that plugin, indicating that ISI doesn't plan on doing it.

With some effort, Fazerbox might even do it if asked, one can design his own "box" in Trackmap, that displays anything that's available for a plugin, shaped just like you are proposing. You can change color text, text size, box shape, practically anything.

So it seems that your clean display is already available.

6. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Yeah that's fine I don't care how its done or who does it , my hope was that by the end of the beta the game has a clean functional and contemporary UI . :)

I do have a personal view that ISI would benefit from having the generic UI more sleek.

Obviously its there company and they will have there own development plan and priorities based of there resources and goals.