Class Packages upgrades not being applied to player car when selected from spinner

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by CrossPly, Jun 30, 2015.

1. CrossPly

CrossPly Registered

Hi,

Honestly not sure if this belongs under the wishlist or bug report forums but there's probably enough weirdness going on here that I'm leaning towards the latter.

My mod makes pretty heavy use of the "UpgradeClass" option in its upgrades.ini to group different upgrade selections together, each .veh file specifies a specific upgrade class and this works perfectly well for the AI drivers.

Doing a quick survey of the mods I have installed (both ISI and 3rd party) the upgrade class feature doesn't seem to be used that widely and not quite as extensively as I'm using it so maybe I'm pushing the boundaries of what its intended for.

For what its worth though, I thought I'd write down the full scenario in the hope that someone has run into these issues before and is maybe able to tell me if I'm doing something wrong, or perhaps some fixes in this area can be applied in a future build.

This applies to build 946 at least, probably previous builds as well:

Each of the upgrade classes I've defined are displayed in the Tuning/Spinner screen under the "CLASS PACKAGES" heading.

View attachment 17193

The class package selected by default is the one that's defined first in my upgrades.ini: "Lola_T70S_MkI_dibley" and this is the group of upgrades shown on the car in the spinner. This is (unfortunately) not the class that's defined in the example cars .veh, file which would be "Lola_T70S_MkII_gurney".

I had intended to have the different Mk1 and Mk2 cars split into different categories in the car selection screen but if the car is always going to be defaulted to the first upgrade defined, I'll be reverting to one big list for all cars. Not the end of the world by any means, but a bit of a shame. To help keep track of things, lets call the default class issue: Issue #1 :)

Moving on, as the class packages upgrades are shown in the menu I'd expect to be able to select it, and I can:

View attachment 17194

The "Lola_T70S_MkII_gurney" class package is correctly applied to the car in the spinner (you can tell from the wings and headlight covers) but the original upgrade class remains selected in the menu. Probably just an irrelevant (and inconsequential) UI bug but we're here anyway so lets call this one: Issue #2.

Moving down to the normal upgrades section, when I select any of the options (in this example the Model), the class upgrades, including the previously sticky "Lola_T70S_MkI_dibley" from Issue #2 are cleared from the menu, although the wings and nose options that the "Lola_T70S_MkII_gurney" class defined are still present in the spinner car.

View attachment 17195

Its another minor issue, but there seem to be some issues with the spinner and menu getting out of sync and menu behaviour in general when Class packages become involved. Lets collectively call these issues: Issue #3.

Anyway, with the class packages now cleared of the sticky "Lola_T70S_MkI_dibley" class, I can select the "Lola_T70S_MkII_gurney" class again, and it appears at least that the spinner and menus are in sync.

View attachment 17196

At this point I hit "back" to get out of the tuning screen and start the race.

View attachment 17197

The in-game car does not have the "Lola_T70S_MkII_gurney" upgrade class that was shown as selected but the default "Lola_T70S_MkI_dibley" upgrade class (although the model has changed to a Mk2, as that's the option I used to "clear" the upgrade from the menu described in Issue #3).

The Class Packages upgrade options shown in the tuning menu and spinner seem to have no bearing on the upgrades applied to the car in game. From what I can tell, the only way that upgrades can be properly applied so that they appear in game is by selecting each one of them individually and ignoring the Class Packages menu altogether. This is probably the real issue here, lets call it Issue #4.

Probably the easiest way to resolve all these issues in one go is to simply remove the "CLASS PACKAGES" menu from the tuning screen altogether. If they are only intended to be used for AI cars (and its a great feature for controlling the upgrades that AI use) then there's no need to put them in the tuning screen as it just confuses what the user is able to select and use in game.

If "CLASS PACKAGES" *are* intended to be used for the player car, then resolving Issue #1 and Issue #4 would make it a working feature and an excellent way for the user to choose a predefined group of upgrades.

<phew>

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading.

2. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Only skimmed your post, but make sure NOT to have two cars using the same car number (defined in the .veh) - otherwise the game will always select the one it reads first, regardless of class or even make.

3. CrossPly

CrossPly Registered

I was not aware of that, great suggestion!

I did a quick check of my .veh's and found a couple of dup car numbers. Unfortunately with those now fixed I'm still getting identical behaviour to what was outlined in the OP (in dev mode only so far).

Its late here but I'll be packaging another .rfcmp tomorrow and can check if the fixed numbers change anything in single player mode. I haven't noticed a difference in behaviour between single player and dev mode with this issue so far though.

The dup numbers I did find were legitimate mistakes and may have caused other problems down the line so I appreciate the hint regardless.

4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

In DEV, if you are using identical filenames for different versions of "main files" in different car folders, you can also end up with frustrating things happening.

Edit: read your OP again and think that your own conslusion is correct: "From what I can tell, the only way that upgrades can be properly applied so that they appear in game is by selecting each one of them individually and ignoring the Class Packages menu altogether."

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2015
  5. CrossPly

CrossPly Registered

I've done a bit more investigation and need to correct my OP.

When loading up the vehicle in the spinner for the first time I stated that the first Class Package in the upgrades.ini is applied to the car by default. This is not actually the case, no Class Package is loaded at all. The upgrades loaded onto the car are simply the first options in each of the individual upgrades. In my case the "Lola_T70S_MkI_dibley" class is actually defined with all of the first options so it was a bit confusing.

With this bit of info in mind things are at least making a bit more sense to me.

My Issue #1 in the OP probably belongs in wish lists as the spinner currently doesn't apply any particular class package at all on load. I think it would be a very cool feature though if it did.

Clicking on a class under "Class Packages" currently only has a visual impact on the car in the spinner, I *think* its also meant to go through the UI options and set the rest of the individual upgrades based on the selected class but its doesn't seem to be working properly, leading to the weird UI and sync issues mentioned as Issue #2 and Issue #3. If this behaviour was fixed I think Issue #4 would in turn be fixed, setting the individual upgrades in the UI already works in game, selecting a class would just be a shortcut to clicking all of the individual upgrades manually.

I wouldn't suggest a fix would necessarily be easy though, properly managing the state in a UI that is generated from a file where a modder (such as me!) could do all sorts of random things is the sort of thing that can be a PITA to fix reliably...

6. CrossPly

CrossPly Registered

Just a note that this behaviour is still present in the newly released 982.

In case my long winded description wasn't enough, you can see it in action by downloading the mod from here :)