CIVIC PSD Files

Discussion in 'Modding' started by nickbalti, Sep 12, 2014.

1. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

I am not amazing at skins but have a basic understanding. That said, I have zero clue how to edit the window files on the Civic cars. I can do the main one but no matter what file I edit I cannot change the car number on the front and side windows.

In photoshop...

View attachment 14246

In game...

View attachment 14247

Any help please?

2. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

You need to change the Alpha channel mate.

3. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

1) Alpha channel is just grey and I can't see what I'm doing.
    2) Now also struggling with the 'sponsors' - cannot get rid of them
    3) Cannot get rid of the back 'Honda' logo.

Thanks for fast reply Rich.

4. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

Well I find a compromise even though I never sussed it out. Instead of editing a Yuasa one, I edited of their other designs which doesn't have the numbers or honda logo on.

If anyone does know the solution can they let me know anyway.

5. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

I vaguely remember Tim mentioned something about that when the civic was first released. I believe it has something to do with where those files for the licenced cars are (as in not with the rest of the skin files). Try creating a whole new vehicle file or best of all try finding the Civic release thread. Sorry I don't remember the specifics.

6. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

I have this text copied from somewhere probably from the source to which Slamfunk3 refers:

QUOTE:
    namealt.psd is the main skin.

EXTRA8 - Wheel hub template.
    WINDSHIELDOUT - Front window, from the outside.
    WINDSHIELDIN - Front window, from cockpit.
    WINDOWSOUT - Rear window.

When painting, it is best to not use the 1, 2, 14, 15, 55, 77 cars as your base, they all carry additional templates for decals, windows, etc that you would need to overwrite with more than just the main skin.

The DDS files included in the zip are hires decals for the Yuasa 1 and 2 cars, or a file to block them. You probably won't need them but I included them anyway.

They are assigned in the .veh file with this line:
    Sponsor="nameEXTRA7.dds" SponsorTexStage=3

If you don't know what that means or what a veh file is, you probably don't need them. :)
    UNQUOTE.
    And yes, you'll have to clean up or match the alpha channel on the WINDOWSOUT.psd to your changes or you'll get ghosting from the original.
    I hope this is what you need.

7. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

Thank you. How can I match up the alpha channel? It's just a grey square. Am I not selecting something? I'll ipload a picture shortly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

9. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

You need to make a selection of the number on your colour layer and then fill it whit on your alpha layer

10. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

Thanks again. Only weird thing is that the above alpha channel of the front if I save as it is there is a 2. But as you can see there is no white 2 above

11. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

Anyone? Could anyone send me a copy of their namealtWINDSHIELDOUT file? Just so I could have a look?

12. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

I should probably leave this to more experienced painters on this one, but I'll try to explain this method. I'll defer to more knowledgeable if they wish to chime in.
    1) Open your WINDSHIELDOUT.PSD file and make the changes to car number and graphics as you wish.
    2) Go to the alpha channel and sample both colors for your pallet. Make note of what is light and what is dark in the Alpha channel.
    3) Save the file at this point
    4) Flatten the image
    5) Copy the flattened image to the clipboard
    6) If you can step backwards, go back to the point prior to flattening the image, otherwise close the file and reopen it.
    7) Go to the alpha channel and turn off the rgb layers and select the alpha
    8) Paste the copied image in place to the alpha layer (you might erase the existing image there first..not sure if it's necessary).
    9) Using the sampled light and dark colors, repaint the banners, car number, edging, etc., the lighter color and the glass the darker
    10) Reset the layer visibility as it was
    Now you've created an alpha layer to match your new windshield graphics.
    I hope. :)

13. nickbalti

nickbalti Registered

Amazing. I will try this. Before I do, do you know if it will fix my current issue. That even tho there is no '2' in the alpha it still shows in game?

14. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

You may be being confused by the 2 Alphas in the template. One is with the LAYERS under the Wireframe layer. I ignore this one and am not sure of its purpose. It may be there just as a sandbox layer to help you create a new alpha channel. The other, and the one you'll want to modify, is under the CHANNELS tab. This one has the 2 in it that you'll want to change.

Considering the complexity of the Civic's Alpha channel (with the interior showing), you may wish to approach altering this differently than my description above. It's been a while since I did up a skin for the Civic so my memory on what I did came close to speculation!

Instead of copying your flattened layers into the Alpha channel, edit it directly:
    1) Open the namealtWINDSHIELDIN.psd and copy the Alpha channel in this one to the clipboard; it does not have the #2 in it and is, from what I can see, otherwise identical.
    2) Open your own [name]altWINDSHIELDOUT.psd, go to the CHANNELS tab, select the Alpha Channel (turn it on of course and turn off the RGB), clear it and paste in the image from the namealtWINDSHIELDIN.psd Alpha channel. It should now be 2less.
    You will now need to add your car number to the Alpha channel.
    3) Return to the LAYERS tab
    4) Make note the point size and font you used in your car number layer
    5) Return to CHANNELS
    6) Turn on the Alpha and turn off the RGB channels
    7) Select the Alpha channel and, using the Type Tool, type your car number in the alpha channel using the same point size & font but with a nearly white colour (the original #2 used a colour a touch darker than the banner and window frame colour.
    8) Make the RGB channel visible again then zoom in and position (and transform if necessary) the number to match the position, size and shape in the RGB.
    9) Turn the Alpha off

This method preserves the interior graphics in the Alpha channel.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2014