Changing graphics card. Amd?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Hi guys,

My current vga card is done and gets worse every day.
    It is a GTX 480 1,5gb.
    (Sorry for short writing; in hotel doing this on phone).

Now the thing is; I have a low budget for this (says the misses) and I was looking for something a bit better.

I cant make it up from the charts but I think a R9 270 should be a step better, right?
    Is that a nice step to make?

In the past, I read some things about amd saying it is not so perfect for this game.
    But lately I saw topics go by, saying thats all in the past; new build from the game and new drivers and they outperform nvidia.

Is that correct?
    Please give me some advise here, thanks!

2. speed1

speed1 Banned

About the 270 I can not say anything but the 290 runs just fine here and there is no current next gen simulation out there which achieves this performance and visuals with a large starter field on tribles. I'm testing actually the current 14.7 RC1 beta driver with some new eyefinity features.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
  3. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Even if AMD is indeed worse, I still would go with them because of Nvidia's shenanigans.
    But... the R9 270 would not be a major step up, and the 270x is just a bit better. Are you sure your PSU is not the problem?

You could also try to find a 7950, if you're the lucky type.

4. speed1

speed1 Banned

If you are limited i would like to suggest you a NV 770. I'm almost sure the relation quality price below 300 euros and rf2 is better than AMD. AMD starts to getting intresting with the 290 first.

5. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You can't expect great things in rF2 for $200 ie: AMD 270 , NV 660.

For me those are not enough step from GTX480.

Tell your missus your budget has blown out, GTX770 or 280X are great for single screen rF2. ( $350-400 )

The GTX480 was a dear card in its day more then $400 ? ............... lol .................. say " Look love this one cost less then my last one ! :) " hehehehe

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The R9 270 is pretty much on par with an HD 7850, which is just about on par with an HD 6950.

I would try to honestly go with something better.

Especially brcause you're on a tight budget, go on craigslist and buy used, and don't be afraid to give ppl offers and negotiate and "work them". I haven't bought a new GPU in like 10 years and have always gotten great deals (you wouldn't believe what I paid for my two 780 Tis, or just about any of my GPUs for that matter). Also you hardly lose money when it comes time to sell and then you buy another used card for such a small difference.

Go on Craigslist and start throwing offers at ppl, trust me.

7. NWDogg

NWDogg Registered

If you are on a single monitor, like I am, then a GTX 760 will run rF2 and almost anything else right now at max settings. I'm not too sure, but I imagine the 270x is right around there in performance. It's when you are going to double and triple screens that you really need to jump into the 780s or 290xs, I think. To be perfectly safe, and future proof, a 770 or equivalent would be the best, albeit more expensive, option.

I don't know much about AMD GPUs, I always go with Nvidia just because the model numbers show performance progression, whereas AMD's model numbers make no sense. :)

8. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

I run a 760 with single screen and everything maxed in game. I don't remember what my AA settings are and I usually run 14-24 AI no prob.

9. oHOWEo

oHOWEo Registered

If you go down the second hand route with amd just be aware that folk use them to mine bitcoins and could of thrashed it to death, not such an issue with nvidia as they suck for mining

10. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Good to know!

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for the advise guys!

I am not very sure the card is the problem, but al the rest is much newer......and it was pointed out to me it is old and might be very well the problem.
    I think so too; it's getting worse every day and the hotter it gets, the crappier it runs.

I have to go for second hand for sure, but I'dd like a bit more power.

12. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Is the fan spinning all right, or is it all clogged?

13. Navigator

Navigator Registered

No, the fan is alright. The card doesn't get to hot either; 66 degrees celsius. It can go up to 105 says nVidia.
    But when I play a while and it does reach 66; it gets worse (tearing, stuttering).

14. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Sounds bad indeed. It's a high-performance card that's 4 or 5 years old, so I guess it's to be expected.

15. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

RULE NUMBER ONE WHEN YOU UPDATE GFX CARD IS ?

ANSWER: HOW IS MY MBO,CPU ETC.,CAN MY SYSTEM RUN BETTER GFX CARD?

Never purchase new GFX card before you know this, it is not sure that you get any fps gain at all.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2014
  16. Moe Faster

Moe Faster Registered

just installed GTX 660 Gamer that I got for $100, for that price, I gotta try it. I replaced an AMD 7650, rF2 is much better with 660.

17. VMaxMuffin

VMaxMuffin Registered

Navigator, what are the rest of your system specs?

18. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Good one:

i5 3570
    8Gb 1600Mhz
    Some b75 mainboard ;)
    650 W proper power supply

19. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

What are the nvidia shenanigins?

20. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I don't understand everything, but it looks like they're trying to make development less open to gain an advantage over AMD. If game code is tied to locked features optimized for Nvidia hardware, AMD customers just get a worse experience even if their hardware is up to snuff.
    http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...surps-power-from-developers-end-users-and-amd
    http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/5473/watch-dogs-review-tested-with-32-gpus

I wouldn't want this to become a bigger problem.