castle combe wip

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Banger, May 11, 2013.

1. StrawmanAndy

StrawmanAndy Registered

I agree with what you say, I personally am educating myself on all the new features of rFactor 2. But it is difficult, and everyone is different you have to remember and may struggle with things that seem basic. Not everyone can be good at a something like everyone, but I agree with your idea that if something is bothering at least have a go. :) But modding is very difficult, and most of the time it's frustrating so for some people that just doesn't work for them.

While I don't agree with some peoples attitude or the way they come across about abandoned projects, I do understand the frustration or disappointment when someone just leaves the project without telling anyone. It sucks, because you are shown work by someone who has way more talent than yourself (speaking generally, not at you) and then they seem to just leave without saying anything.

Castle Combe is my local track, I've driven it in real life and it's a brilliant track, actually think it's the best track in the UK as it's so quick and tricky. So I do feel a little bit sad that someone had started with a very promising layout/track mesh and has just gone. I'd love to see someone make one, I would personally try but I've been having a go with modding for a good part of six months and I really struggle still. I can convert rF1 tracks but making one from scratch is a massively tall order, even adding or moving objects around etc is hard for me. Unfortunately it looks like we will never see Castle Combe in rF2

2. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

+1 ; especially people who start multiple projects and never finish anything and say they have no time

Edit - Regarding WIP projects I follow them much less now because so few are ever finished (especially AIW) and I surely miss many because modders don't update status and have version 1+ without basic features etc etc so I rely mostly on what I hear from others and if I download something that is > version 1 but AIW sucks then I will notify modder but will then ignore it unless the modder appears to make a sincere effort to fix it or gets/accepts help from others.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015
  3. Marc Christopher Harris

Marc Christopher Harris Registered

This - oh how I wish I even had an ounce of knowing what to do. Is a shame, as there are people who are brilliant at this kind of thing, and could knock it out in a tenth of the time it would take for someone new to learn how to create it.

Is definitely the best track in the UK, probably on a par with brands, for different reasons - as you cant compare the two they are that different!

4. Marc Christopher Harris

So - can anyone jump in and help with this?! Im determined, now people have been commenting on this, to make it a go-er. Would make me, and many other people in the UK very happy!

5. Marc Christopher Harris

6. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

7. Rirdeg

Rirdeg Registered

I've got this, it's had a couple of hours work on it. Quarry isn't quite right yet and there are no scenery objects but it's not looking bad for a first pass.

[​IMG]

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

It sure doesn't look bad. Looks like an aerial photo!

9. Rirdeg

Rirdeg Registered

It is underneath, its there so I can match the track layout. The only thing that's modelled so far is the track. You can see the difference in pixel quality.

10. Marc Christopher Harris

You Sir Rirdeg, are amazing.

This is why this community is great, I could learn, and produce something substandard - but why, when there are people out there who already have the knowledge and expertise.

The end result - a quality product thousands of people can enjoy.

Excellent stuff.

11. StrawmanAndy

StrawmanAndy Registered

Problem is that version is from Toca Race Driver 3 (CodeMasters) so it could never be published on these forums. It's an okay track, but would take a lot to update.

Looking good. :)

12. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Publishing here is irrelevant. Most tracks are converted and therefore not published here. Doesn't mean they aren't worth pursuing.

13. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Castle Combe was maybe my 5th race in my first online sim league with VTR. I actually had practice in the track and snatched my first podium there so I am biased towards seeing this happen.

14. Marc Christopher Harris

I have driven round here for real a fair bit - so can offer a bit of help on anything you need. But it seems there are a fair few people who have done the same. Good to see the positive momentum building!

15. Marc Christopher Harris

Is this dead - anything I can do to help?

16. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

:)

17. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Hm, interesting, There was a reply to that from Marc which seems to have gone. Maybe you deleted it? I know you like that sort of thing..... but I'll answer what you asked.

You seem to be the one that wants it most. Make it happen. Others may well make it. Rirdeg above may well be still in the process of making it. If so, that's a good thing.

At what point did I say I didn't want it built? I'm admittedly more interested in other circuits so I'd never invest the time. So who is the right person to make it? Someone who wants it. Who seems to want it most? Well, you.

Why is it salty to point out the obvious to you? The only thing required is time, patience and commitment to what you're trying to achieve. I can't help it if you don't want it in the sim bad enough to commit yourself in to learning how to do it.

I want an up to date (legal) version of Cadwell Park, scratch built. I don't see anyone making one......that's why I'm doing it as and when I have the time.

Sometimes...... you just have to do things yourself. Such is life.

Now I'll just hush as it looks like I'm replying to myself. But we know I'm not. Feel free to post again and delete it.

18. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

I couldn't agree more. And as a track maker myself, the last thing I'd like, is to have someone asking every two weeks if the project is dead or not.

19. Rirdeg

Rirdeg Registered

Nope, it's still being worked on. Progress is quite slow, got a new job recently so can't dedicate a lot of time to it.
    On the plus side, I was marshalling up at Combe on Sunday and got a decent amount of Recce photos.

Not needing any help at the moment, will try and post more progress stuff when I have something more interesting to show.

20. maxt35

maxt35 Registered