Cars seem too light in accidents.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PedroJ, Oct 25, 2023.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Similar to what?

There are directional aero parameters, though I'm not sure reactionary forces are taken into account (would be interesting to test). There are also rotation aero torque parameters, but their scale will be very low in comparison to inertia (we're driving cars, not boats). The main issue in regards to azaris' beyblade-rotation is the rotation itself, coming from elastic collisions.

Emery likes this.
  2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes... we don't have exact scene description nor video of "issue" from simulation. But I am thinking about incidents in general with light taps from RL racing and if they develop into loss of control or not.

Although we already know that they sometimes do and sometimes don't.

It would be cool feature if different impact damping zones could be defined to the coliders. Something like "UndertrayParams". For example, very corners of the cars and bumpers would be softer than the rest of the body. I wonder how much it would impact performance of the sim. But it would also result in much more immersive crashes, barrel rolls.

I see there are "Part0CollParams" in damage file, but I suppose those are for debris ?

3. Bernat

Bernat Registered

I had an incident racing online related to this with the Radicals. The car behind me slightly touched my rear with its front spoiler and sent me into the grass. I don't think the issue is the weight of the car or the physics but the stiffness of the spoiler. In real life I guess the spoiler would have been teared into pieces and I shouldn't have noticed much of an impact.

In this regard, the result is that front spoilers act as Mad Max bumpers (I don't have a better name) when in reality they should break very easily and affect the car loosing the spoiler more than the other car which received the impact. This issue can promote a dirty kind of racing.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
    mantasisg and RaceNut like this.
  4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

It must be it. Perhaps there really is not enough damage penalty through handling of a car. I don't remember exactly, but I think there should be a thing in rF2 where you can loose a front wing entirely. So perhaps it should be possible to loose it partially too.

But to properly prevent dirty racing there is safety/rating system. Accidents happen though.

5. Bernat

Bernat Registered

These kind of incidents don't seem to have an effect on SR. They are treated as scratches between cars. That's why I think they might pose a problem. It's happened in the last two races I did (repeated touches until I spun) and if I'm not mistaken it might become a trend. I'd rather be wrong.

I'm not annoyed about it because it didn't have an effect on my SR and I don't care right now about my finishing position or my DR. But I think it might be a problem derived from the stiffness of some parts of the cars.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
    mantasisg likes this.