Cars go inside each other during collisions

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by TheSuisseExpress, Oct 16, 2020.

1. TheSuisseExpress

TheSuisseExpress Registered

Hello everyone,
    I posted this earlier in the technical support section, but it seems that wasn't the right section. Hopefully your expertise can be of assistance.

Lately I've done some experimenting with racing GT3 cars on oval (It's better than you think), in essence trying to guess what the NASCAR next gen car will race like. One of the cars that really hit the mark was the BMW Z4 GT3, however some testing as of late shows that it has a serious issue going on.

When a crash occurs, it is not uncommon to see cars go inside of other cars, becoming stuck and causing massive amounts of damage. This can even occur from the slightest of touches, as if the cars are stuck together. I've actually caught the phenomenon on video

however the issue seems to not be unique to the Z4. A Formula 1 2020 mod by the RSS modding team (Not RaceSimStudio, but the other RSS) has a similar issue where cars can often get stuck inside of each other.

The RSS issue can be seen in this video

around the 15:10 mark. Watch the Mercedes and Haas.

Is this something I can fix on my end? Or should I search for another mod? it's not as big of a deal on Road Courses as it is on oval, as there are more cars a lot closer together on Oval than Road.

Additionally, if anyone knows of some good similar GT3 mods that don't experience this issue, I would love to have a look at them for a back up option, or otherwise replacement.

Thanks!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Certainly could be a mod issue, the collision body on cars should be a simple model with no holes and minimal "valleys" for want of a better word, to avoid issues like that.

Often modders just take a low-poly version of the car and use that, but there tends to be all sorts of lips, projections, and voids. These all interact badly with each other.

Still, the only way to be sort of sure is to check the files if accessible. For custom offline use you could then try removing the collision body reference completely from all the .gen files (and repackage the mod for your use) as the game will generate a simple (and slightly, but hopefully less, compromised) collision body for the cars.

Early on in rF2 the collision code had some issues, especially online, but I don't think there's an underlying issue as in those videos.

TheSuisseExpress likes this.