Cars and some questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MikeV710, Mar 29, 2022.

1. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum, rFactor 2 and sim racing. My name Is Mike and well although I am not new to siming (long time flight simmer), I am new to car simulators so please bear that In mind If I ask dumb questions.

I have had rFactor 2 for a couple of weeks now and although I have other race sims (AMS1, and 2, RaceRoom, GTR2, and ACC) I am totally hooked on rFactor 2. Seriously I am really enjoying It. I am aware that some things don´t work like they use too (AI) and that other things might be broken but I still enjoy the time I spend with rFactor 2. More so If I compare It to the other sims mentioned above, they just don´t give me the same feeling this sim does, so very glad I got Into this sim no matter what.

With that out of they way, I do have some questions and a Issue (sort of) I need to ask and fix If I am In the right place.

I´ll start with my Issue first. I have a DFGT wheel set which works just fine at least for a new guy but I do have a Issue with the supported software (Logitech). If I use the supplied software by LT (v510.127) which Is the last version they released, I then have this Issue were the wheel will off-center on It´s own. I tried everything I found on the web and there´s no way I can avoid this Issue. This Is a known Issue by the way. What I did find Is that If I use a generic driver (let W10 assign a driver), the wheel works just fine. The Issue with that Is that I can´t set a wheel range or set any FFB parameters. In other words, I lose all the options given by the original software.

Is there some sort of universal driver (software) out there that wont screw up with this wheel In particular?

For some questions...

I bought some cars that I will list below, and from what I have been reading, some work better then others, some need to be updated but I really don´t know which those are. To me they all feel great, but If there are those that some would recommend before others, then that would be nice to know as It would save me time and maybe money. I rather use official DLC´s as a way to support the hobby and devs although I am aware that there´s good content too In Steam Workshop.

List Is as follows...
    GTE:
    - Porsche 911 RSR GTE
    - Ferrari 488 GTE
    - BMW M8 GTE
    - Corvette C8.R GTE

GT3:
    - McLaren 720S GT3
    - BMW 4 GT3
    - Ferrari 488 GT3 EVO
    - Aston Martin Vantage GT3

- Formula Pro
    - Indycar Dallara IR18

Any suggestions and opinions are very welcomed, as well as what would be a good car to focus on as a beginner.

Lastly, I am not sure If It has to do with a setting of some sort but I find that If I am coming In to fast on a curve the car seems to auto reduce speed on It s own. This Is happening to me on the Monza track on that S section right before the last curve on final. Any help Is appreciated as to what that might be caused by.

Thank you In advance and sorry for the wall of text here, and sorry too If these things have been asked before, I did use the search function before joining but didn´t find any specific answers.
    Mike

2. Simulation_Player

Simulation_Player Registered

- Formula Pro
    - Indycar Dallara IR18

add BMW M4 class 1 (DTM) to this list and you got all the official cars that has best tyres physics rf2 can provide to this date.
    This car is FREE too, done by official devs S397.
    Car link >>
    (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2525930688)

Regarding auto reduction in speed.
    make sure all the assist are turned OFF , in setting. under gameplay section iirc.

Edit : A very important note , always buy dlc in packs. i think you bought all the content you showed separately.
    Always make sure to go into packs and sale section before buying anything.
    This is the link >>
    https://store.steampowered.com/itemstore/365960/browse/?filter=Packs

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    MikeV710 and atomed like this.
  3. Ricardo Diz

Ricardo Diz Registered

Hi Mike and welcome!

Regarding cars, I see you have no prototypes (LMP2, DPi, LMP3). I quite like them and would strongly suggest them. All of them are nice. On a different note, have a look at the Radical SR3 RSX / Radical SR3 XX (the latter is newer), which are very fun to drive in short tracks. KartSim karts are also surprisingly fun and addictive, and easy to overlook.

You didn't mentioned DLC tracks, but there are some real gems, especially fitting the cars you already have. These include Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring, Nurburgring, etc.

If you want to browse through available content, have a look at this page I created with information in a tabular format: https://support.fidgrove.com/

On the auto-reduce topic, and as said before by @Simulation_Player, turn all assists off. I'm pretty sure that's the issue. Actually, it's probably best to make sure you don't have any keys mapped to these overall assist functions, so you don't use them by mistake.

Regards

MikeV710 and Simulation_Player like this.
  4. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Hi,

First off, thanks to both of you for your kind help, very much appreciate that. And yes this has been of help.

@Simulation_Player
    Yes, these are Individual DLC buy´s as I gradually felt In love with rFactor 2. Also because right now things are tight and I guess spending small amounts at a time don´t feel so tough xD. Not that I find the content expensive, specially If you compare to flight sims (DCS, Prepar 3D, or MSFS 2020).
    The mentioned BMW M4 class 1 was already Installed by default (downloaded) when you Install rFactor 2. A lot of the S-397 Workshop content Is Installed when you first Install rFactor 2, maybe all of It not sure but yeah quite a lot. Sorry I didn´t mention that.

Regarding auto-assist, note taken thank you.

@Ricardo Diz
    Thank you for your welcome and...
    Thank you so much for the time and effort putting together that list, that´s exactly what I was looking for. That will be of great help Indeed.

With regards to tracks, I have the Included tracks from the Formula Pro pack, and now buying the Daytona Pack so I can also have the JS P320. I also have Installed the Road America 2019 track from the Workshop along with the default S-397 Workshop tracks. Next on the wishlist will be Sebring and Le Mans.

Also noted the auto-assist settings.

Again, thank you both for your guidance and help.

Till the next one...

Good care, and drive fast, but safe!
    Mike

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  5. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Aside from the suggestions above, one had to buy the Daytona pack after watching the official community race this past March 20th. Nice race there and felt sorry Rose got out of the 10th position grid, but that´s how It goes. Enjoyed the race!

6. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

How´s the Audi R8 LMS GT3?
    Would be nice to have a Valentino "Doctore" Rossi skin for It now although he will be driving the 3rd. gen Evo II version.

7. Simulation_Player

I would suggest staying away from GT3 and GTE cars entirely until they get updated to latest standards physics wise.
    Although they are not completely unplayable, so if u are really want it then go for it.

MikeV710 likes this.
  8. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

9. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

So which cars are worth spending time on that have been updated to the latest standards In the physics?

10. Ricardo Diz

Ricardo Diz Registered

Rule of thumb should be that the latest released cars have latest standards. In that regards, the Dallara IR-18 Indycar, the Ligier JS P320 (which I think you have from what you've mentioned) and the BMW M4 GT3 were the last to be released. I especially love driving the new Indycar, despite having tons of understeering, and there have been many good complements to its execution, even from Indycar drivers I believe.

MikeV710 likes this.
  11. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Thanks Ricardo! That´s what I have supposed and that´s why I already have these three cars. I am just wondering If I am missing something, as there Is a lot of Info that I am not aware of, like this lack of standard physics update to the GTE and GT3 cars.

I also bought the JS P217.
    I did try to buy the Moyoda Hypercar 2021 from Unitedracingdesign but the check out page doesn´t seem to work for me.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

That car has been changed to a free car in the workshop hasn't it?

13. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  14. Simulation_Player

there are currently only 3 cars with latest tyres "model" (not exactly a model change afaik but just better data or something).
    the cars you already have

1.bmw m4 class 1 dtm (NOT the gt3 version)

2.Formula pro

3.Dallara Ir-18 indycar.

M4 GT3 seems to be best of GT3 class though.

MikeV710 and Ricardo Diz like this.
  15. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Thanks @Simulation_Player
    After reading the post here I was testing the M4 GT3 yesterday at Imola to get a feel (hype) for todays GTWC. It does feel good, a bit slow Initially compared to other GT3 I tested, or at least It seemed to me, but nice.

If I understand this right, the only physics change there Is right now Is In the tire model data for all the cars available In rF2, except the three cars you mentioned?

Again, thanks and sorry all this Is new to me.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  16. Simulation_Player

yep currently only tyres have been equipped with better data and that is applied on 3 cars i mentioned.

MikeV710 likes this.
  17. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Thanks, got ti now.

Simulation_Player likes this.
  18. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

I might be missing something here so please bear with me.

Is there downshift protection In rF2, like there Is In ACC for example? I see a downshift option and for the little time I tried to try It (because I didn´t understand what It was doing), all I see It do is downshift every time I upshift. Now I tried this coming out of boxes so It might be that I needed to try it while upshifting more until a reach a breaking point to see If It would downshift on Its own, or what It actually can do for the driving experience. I have the downshift option turned off for now, so downshifting has no limitations for me.

Sorry If I don´t understand this right. Just trying to make my driving experience similar to In this case ACC so I don´t go crazy while switching sims.

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There is not any downshift protection. (by that I mean nothing to protect your tranny from damage if you bang down the entire box rapidly or for that matter, I don't think there IS any transmission damage)
    You may be fighting the automatic shifting. On the first screen of options you can find a list of 'helps' that you can toggle. TURN THEM ALL OFF. This will include auto-shifting. It will also turn off some items that you may want like traction control. The reason you turn them off is that you can then adjust them in-game, in the car's setup screens in the garage or while driving(if you have assigned buttons like Increase Traction control & Decrease Traction Control.) This goes for cars that have Anti-lock brakes as well, turn it off at the Gameplay Difficulty screen.

Also in the middle column of the same screen, There is a command that 'might' equate to your Downshift protection. Set Repeat Shift to whatever value you choose. This means the game will ignore two or more keypresses that occur within your chosen time(like 100micro seconds) or when a dirty button sends out more than one command per click.
    About the only helper commands I use are automatic lights and windscreen activation. I guess if you only have two pedals, auto clutch would be advisable.

MikeV710 likes this.
  20. MikeV710

MikeV710 Registered

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I didn´t explain myself right so I´ll give It another try...

In ACC, If you try to downshift out of the RPM limits of the Intended gear, It wont let you downshift. Which In a way is a good way to learn your shifting as you would In a real car. On the other hand, In rF2 I can downshift when ever I want. Nothing In the settings (as I have them, and that I know of) avoids me from downshifting when I do so like ACC does.

I have no aids on except auto-clutch because I don´t have one as suggested earlier In this thread (auto-clutch on), so It´s nothing In my settings. What I was asking In my post above Is that Is there a option that will prevent you from downshifting outside of the gear RPM threshold. From what you are saying I guess not.

Repeat shift seems more like a gimmick, or failure to engage a gear, then a protection or gimmick to simulate "when" to downshift.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022