car preview ICON.dds in an updated package: working offline but not online

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by DocJones, Mar 9, 2015.

1. DocJones

DocJones Registered

I created components containing new teams & skins for our rF2 leagues. These are created as updates to ISI's original Mégane release aswell as Eve & Spark F2 cars. With the skins in all three packages everything is working as expected. Not so much with the ICON.dds files that I included for each car though. They do show up (for every single car in each of the three packages) when selecting a car in single player. When selecting a car to go racing online however, I get the basic rF2 logo that is usually shown when there is no ICON.dds file available. Since I have the icons/previews working offline I am pretty certain that I used the correct naming conventions and file format.

2. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Did you created the SMICON as well? Did you named the team files proper? Wich size (px) are the icon files?

//Edit: could you upload the team.mas somewhere? Then i could have a look into it...

3. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Since the new UI doesn't make use of it any longer I didn't bother.

I guess I did, since they work fine in single player. Image size is 512x512px.

VR_FormulaLegends.rfmod

4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

As far as i know, the ICON Files should be:

1024x1024, compressed DXT1 (without Alpha)

Your`s are

512x512, uncompressed

SMICON Files are 512x512....

5. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Original Mégane, Eve and Spark icon.dds files are 512x512 though, and I used 8.8.8.8 ARGB as that's what is suggested to use in most cases when doing a search in this forum, here for instance. And if the format was wrong, why would they work offline in single player?
    Thanks for your help though.

6. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

As i wrote: AFAIK.... ;)

Maybe 512x512 is fine, but without compression, DXT5 or DXT1, it wouldn`t working, i guess.

But they don`t have an alpha channel...

//Edit: maybe i found your fault. You saved the ICON Files including an alpha channel. Check this...

//Edit: try this: open the dds, leave it with 512x512, but remove the alpha channel and save the dds as DXT1 without alpha

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
  7. DocJones

DocJones Registered

No idea where that alpha channel came from since there is none in my .psd template, but good spot. I thought you might be onto something, so I tried saving as DXT1 without alpha (created new files from my template, not opened and saved my old icon.dds files just to be sure), but I get the same result: working fine offline in single player, but not when selecting a car upon joining a server (aswell as using 'car select' on the server).

8. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

***** Removed, wrong informations

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
  9. DocJones

DocJones Registered

I found the error: single player uses icon.dds for the car preview, whereas mulitplayer uses smicon.dds. Whatever the logic is behind that decision... :confused: ... I'll call it an error in the new UI.

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

:rolleyes: ;)

I w`ll try this with the old UI, but i guess, it`s the same and no bug ;)

11. DocJones

DocJones Registered

I always was under the impression that 'sm' in 'smicon' stands for 'small' and that it's only used here:
    [​IMG]

Looks like I was wrong about that. That being said, it seems like a waste of time and space having to create two icons that are displayed at almost the same size ingame (smicon being the larger of the two ^^) in the new UI...

12. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

13. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

The xxxicon.dds and xxxsmicon.dds names has to match with the xxx.veh file name.

Example:

gijsvanelderen.veh ==> gijsvanelderenICON.dds and gijsvanelelderenSMICON.dds

In Gijsvanelderen.veh : i use CAR_12.dds with the CAR_12extras.dds etc...

So your helmet, window etc names has nothing to do with the icon name... And vica versa

Edit: i didn't know about the smicon.dds. :D I assumed that it isn't used anymore with the new UI.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2015
  14. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Thanks for the explanations, Gijs

15. MikeZ

MikeZ Registered

Both windows should be displaying the *icon.dds file. The multiplayer car select window using the *smicon.dds is a bug that will fixed in the next update. Thanks for the information!

16. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Could you pls tell me, wich size should be used for the icon.dds and with wich compression? I found different sizes (512x512/1024x1024) and different Compressions (DXT1, DXT5 and None), used by ISI for Vehicle Icons (icon.dds)...

17. MikeZ

MikeZ Registered

512X512 is sufficient for the new UI. (The reason some older content uses 1024X1024 was because that old car picker gizmo had a larger maximum size). I'm under the impression that the compression type no longer maters. (A few years back these images needed to use no compression, but that's been fixed for a while I think.)

18. DocJones

DocJones Registered

Mike, thanks for your feedback on the bug report, much appreciated.

19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Thanks Mike!