Car occasionally "freezes" and I can't shift

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Exigeous, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Exigeous

Exigeous Registered

This one is hard to explain - I'll be going down a straight and all of a sudden the wheel goes light (as in FFB stops) and I can't shift. I can still steer and brake/throttle but for a few seconds FFB and shift goes away. I've done everything I can to confirm it's not a hardware issue (details below) as when I drive in other sims I can't reproduce this at all (and it's pretty rare in rFactor 2 as well).

Anyone else see this? Ideas?

Fanatec ClubSport V2.5 base
    Fanatec Formula V2 wheel
    Fanatec V3 pedals
    i9 10900k
    32GB RAM
    NVMe
    RTX 2080Ti

Again I'm 99.9% sure it's not hardware as in Project Cars 2, AC, ACC, iRacing, etc. everything is fine and I never have any issues.

Thanks!

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

one of the commands available in the controls screens is reset ffb. try assigning a button or key for that and next time it happens, try using the ffb reset.
    Next question: Do you have a-lot of usb connections via a usb hub? I have the same base & pedals, but a different wheel and haven't seen this occur.
    finally, it sounds random, but can you approximate how long you drive before it occurs? Have you been repeatedly pitting to adjust setups?(some fanatec users have reported their ffb goes spongy if they keep entering and exiting the pits)

3. Exigeous

Exigeous Registered

I'll try the FFB reset next time, but when it happens it only lasts for a few seconds then everything goes back to normal, then it'll happen again a few minutes/seconds later so not sure if that would help but I'll see

USB - by "a lot" is 25 USB devices a lot?? :D I actually have 3 powered hubs and an additional USB 3.2 PCIe card, with everything mapped out across the 3 hubs and 3 controllers in the PC to make sure that everything is happy - as in making sure the channel load is distributed across the hubs and busses. 99.9% sure this isn't the problem, as if it were I'd see it in any/all of my other games and I have zero problems there (and play some really picky stuff so I'd know).

Time between - nope, 100% random. Drove all night for about 3 hours no issues and then this popped up. I rebooted, didn't fix it, restarted, didn't fix it. Gave up for about 30 minutes for a break, came back and it never happened again. I'm guessing it was just some bizarre software issue at the time but figured I'd check to see if it was some kind of known issue. If it keeps happening I'll post back.

Thanks for the input, appreciate it!

~X

4. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I have a Fanatec CSW 2.5 and I have the same issue from time to time. I found that with mine it's the connector from the quick release gets some corrosion like stuff on it. If release the wheel and push it back on a few times it helps. I recently used a contact cleaner with lubricant in it and haven't had the issue since.
    May not be the same for you but can't hurt to give it a try.
    Good Luck.

davehenrie likes this.
  5. Exigeous

Exigeous Registered

Hmm, I'd seriously doubt that as my base/wheel is only about 6 months old, I almost never pull it off (certainly not enough to get corrosion) and no other game is having this or any other issues with it. But hey, it's not hard to pull it off and pop it back on next time it happens to see if that helps so thanks for the thought.

Still I wonder if this is actually fixing your issue or if there is another underlying one - do you have this issue in other racing sim?

~X

6. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I don't have any other sim.