Can't use 4 Controllers, Me or A Bug?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by lopsided, Oct 30, 2012.

1. lopsided

lopsided Registered

I recently made a change, I added a set of CSP v2 pedals to my rig and it caused a controller issue.
    My controllers are currently as follows:
    T500 wheel
    CSP pedals
    DSD Black Max II Button Box (w/rotary switches)
    Thrustmaster shifter

I had used 4 controllers with earlier builds of rf2 , albeit, not this combination.
    I was successfully using the a)T500 (w/ attached Thrustmaster pedals, b)DSD non-rotary switch Button Box, c)Thrustmaster shifter and d)DSD Sequential shifter.
    I disconnected the Sequential when I added the CSP pedals to get the count down to 4 again, those in the list above.
    Now I can not get the game to recognize the pedals with these 4 controllers.
    Not sure it isn't me but I have tried everything I can think of including purchasing Xpadder. A piece of software to remap controller buttons.

What am I missing? I'm suspicious that the button box is counting as 2 controllers. Would the fact that it has rotary buttons have that effect? It's the Black Max II

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2012
  2. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

It's the button box, I just bought the same black max 2

I have GT3RS + Clubsport v2 both connected via USB....soon as the button box is added I loose the ability to configure the pedals.
    Derek Speares says I should plug the pedals into the wheel making it so only using 1 usb. (lowering the pedal resolution)

Or buy some extra software that converts the BB to a keyboard.

edit: http://xpadder.com/
    If you can figure out how this software works let me know....please!

3. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

In rF1, I have what I think is a similar problem with my DSD iFormula but I haven't troubleshooted (shot?) it yet. I can't use it in rF1 as that sim has a 3 controller limit and something is pushing my pedals to ID 4 when I connect the box. It worked before but now I have a different DSD box (using an updated controller board) it does not.

4. lopsided

lopsided Registered

Man, Thanks a lotyou guys. I have nearly driven myself insane trying to fix this (unpluggins & reboots, plugging in different USB ports, using Xpadder, anything I could think of even if it didn't make sense lol etc.)
    The problem I have with Xpadder is ....can't re-map the wheel (and the T500 has 17 buttons anyway), can't re-map the CSP's (they never register in the software) and the button box has 31 buttons. I've already got stuff mapped on the keyboard so finding 31 un-used keys is not going to happen.

Bummer. It's far worse in rF1 or Race 07 like you mentioned F1Fan07 as I'm down to wheel +1, pedals +1 and no Black Max +2. :(
    I still have my other non-rotary DSD button box but again, like you said, the computer assigns an ID number and everytime I unplug and switch things around I'm re-mapping those button boxes. Ugh.

5. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

So, I haven't sat down and worked this through carefully but are we sure the DSD is getting two IDs? The implication is that the new circuit boards DSD is using (he used to use a 3rd party board) are somehow configured to use two IDs which (in my case) should not be needed. All my buttons including the rotary ones show up as the same controller ID in the game's controller configuration screen. The rotaries on my iFormula aren't encoders they're simple switches (left rotate is one button # and right rotate is another button #).

Note that I haven't contacted DSD about this because I assumed it was a Windows glitch where a ghost entry for my old box was stuck in the registry. Plugging my pedals into the wheel isn't an option considering I have a Bodnar cable.

6. lopsided

lopsided Registered

My Black Max II is similar, not encoders, but rotary switches , so we basically have the same thing. Sorry for the typo (corrected).
    Windows Controllers and Control Panel does not list the button box as 2 controllers, however, oddly enough when loading Xpadder it see's the button box twice. Whatever that may imply.

I emailed Derek just to see if he knew what was going on.

7. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

I asked him for a refund and his reply was:
    "If the device is functioning in the Windows game controller applet, then the device is functioning properly. I've offered guidance on what to do. There's no ground for a refund. My apologies if this is unacceptable to you"

Doesn't sound like he gives a rats arse to me

8. lopsided

lopsided Registered

GrimDad, The Xpadder had me puzzled at first, mainly because when I opened it and saw the large rectangular, empty boxes at the top of the window I didn't realize they were representing each of the controllers it had found. When you click on these empty boxes to open them (circled in red) it will tell you what controller you are working with at the top border.

[​IMG]

So let's say it's an H-shifter. First thing I did was assign a graphic to the empty box so my head could keep things straight, which has to be 512 x 256 pixels (just so you know, no other size works).
    [​IMG]

Ok, so with each of these tabs dolled up with a photo you can keep things straight.

Now we go to the TAB representing the shifter. Click on the XBox looking controller to the left, it will bring up the following, click on Settings. Now Click Button (under Image, D-Pad etc., this choice depends on what kind of button you are re-mapping, if it's a D-pad, choose D-pad)

Now push each and every button on your shifter (go thru the gears in other words) and the software will display an empty box which represents each button/gear. You can drag that box to position it over the graphic in a way to help you keep things straight in your head ...or not, up to you. lol

[​IMG]

Now click on each little square that created so you can assign it a keyboard keystroke. Click on the box that represents 1st gear and then a keyboard pops up, pick a keyboard key. I choose number 1 genius that I am. lol I did this for all 7 gears and picked number 8 for reverse. Write that down if you fear you'll forget which keyboard keys you picked.

[​IMG]

After assigning a keyboard key to each and every button on your shifter you can now open your game and do some falsifying! lol
    Go to the games controller settings. For 1st gear, instead of moving your shifter into 1st gear like you normally would, assign the keyboard key number 1 to it. (Or whatever keys you personally choose).

And I believe I'm only scratching the surface because you can map one button to combination of strokes if I read right.

9. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Thanks lopsided, I really appreciate that you took the time to post the info.

I'm reluctant to even attempt it as I'll probably screw everything up.
    I'd already written off the money the box cost and was hoping it would work plug & play with Assetto Corsa
    Then I was planning on chucking it in the bin if it didnt.

I will get the BB out and have another go at it tomorrow.

10. antoinel12

antoinel12 Registered

I has the problem that my DSD button box was seen as 2 controller this summer. Buttonbox was taking joystick 1 and 2 in rFactor 1 and my pedal was joystick 3 so no room for my wheel in rF1 as it only support 3 controller.

Here is my solution :

1. In Start Menu's search bar type dxdiag then press Enter key
    2. Switch to Input tab
    3. Locate your buttonbox controller, in my case DSD-32 Button Controller - ES
    4. Take in note Vendor ID and Product ID for further reference

5. Open Start Menu, right click on Computer and then click on Manage
    6. Select Device Manager in the right column
    7. Open Human Interface Devices section

In my case the controller was registered by Windows as an USB Human Interface Device, as a HID-compliant device and also as a HID-compliant game device

I'm not responsible if you broke your Windows, I only want to help you :cool:

Now, we will locate our button box device into that tree ;).

8. First, locate the good HID-compliant game device by doing right click > Properties, click on Details, select Hardware Ids in Property and look for the 4 characters folowing HID\VID_ in the box, it should be the 4 char in your Vendor ID you noted before (ex: 0x04D8). Just after &PID_, check that de next 4 characters corresponds to your Product ID (ex: 0x0611).

You may need to browse some entries in the Device Manager to find the good one. Once done, just close the Properies window and go to next step. If you can't find it, I suggest you to not continue as it could cause unexpected result...

9. Locate the good HID-compliant device by using the previous method (check Vendor ID and Product ID).

10. If you are sure you found the good one, click on Driver's tab and click Disable. (You may need to Uninstall it, but be VERY CAREFULL with that!!!)
    OK, so now test if it's OK:

11. In Start Menu's search bar type joy.cpl then press Enter key

You should now see only one instance of you buttonbox controller + your wheel and your pedals...

12. Unplug buttonbox and replug it

13. Re-run joy.cpl and check that the device is still shown as one device.

Try it in rfactor :)

I hope it will help you and it is not too hard to understand!

PS: Sorry, I maybe mistranslated some user interface label as my Windows is not in English :p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2012
  11. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

THANK YOU!!!!! My box has been a unsuable paperweight for over a month and now I'm back in business!

I spent an afternoon trying to figure out why my box wouldn't work and gave up when I saw the two entries in dxdiag. I figured I'd screwed up my registry since one ID for the DSD box was 17 (seemed improbably high).

I never connected all the facts I had at my fingertips. I was trying to delete unwanted entries from the registry that corresponded to the DSD box by using the USB vendor/product code.

Damn, I knew about the disable trick too... I had to disable the joystick on a Logitech G13 gamepad for rF1 to work.

Are you a member at iRacing? You need to post this there too.

By the way, your translations were almost perfect. "HID-compliant game device" should be "HID-compliant game controller" but it didn't matter, I knew what you meant. :)

YAY!!

12. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Registered

I will give this a go too and see what takes place. The tests we have conducted here show mixed results as some test machines indicate one DSD Board and others as two.

First, the reason some users are seeing two instances is appears to be related to a Windows update. Second, the device has several, standard HID conventions programmed into it. Windows is dutifully reporting these functions as it should in the Game Controller applet. Moreover, anyone can see in their "Devices and Printers" control panel that the DSD 32 Button Controller - ES/EST controllers is, indeed, one device.

Unfortunately, the issue is with ISI's rather mature engine. rFactor and its progeny are simply not recognizing the device as one controller or knows what to do when Windows presents it with devices like it does. Titles such as iRacing, NKP and other newer titles use as many controllers as Windows gives it, and don't have any issues with sorting out what to do.

I'm interested in seeing if antoinel12's solution bears fruit. I was thinking along these same lines, and thought removing the instance of the HID-Complaint Controller from the computer will clear the logjam.

Derek Speare

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2012
  13. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Registered

UPDATE - I have tested the viability of antoinel12's workaround. I'll give it my support with the notice that disabling "HID-Complaint Controller" feature of the DSD board will require folks to possibly reconfigure their controls in other titles as well as preventing some users who have the standalone controller board (not in a box) from accessing the encoder features without re-enabling the above feature of the board.

The short answer version is that it's 99% effective, but YMMV. :)

14. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Registered

Here are some screen shots of the steps outlined above in antoinel12's post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Registered

Continued:

[​IMG]

Below is the screen shot taken directly after the feature in question was disabled:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As many know, I am a staunch advocate of titles supporting unlimited controllers and offering proper three screen support. rFactor and its progeny are excellent titles. However, legacy support it often difficult as technology continues to advance. I say 128 controllers for rFactor3!

d

16. isamu

isamu Registered

Hello everyone. OK this all sounds intriguing and encouraging. However, I am going to come at this from a different angle....

I do not own a DSD box, but I do have a question regarding Xpadder...I would like to have windows remove one of my USB devices, but have xpadder *still* see it so that I can map it to my keyboard. Is this at all possible?

Here's what I wrote in another post to Lopsided:

17. lopsided

lopsided Registered

@isamu, Unfortunately I have not been able to get Xpadder to work like I thought it would.
    No problem re-mapping the buttons and getting them to work like I describe in the how to, however, the game still finds the extra controllers and if there's more than 3 in rf1, I can't use them. On a whim I tried having only 3 plugged in when I start the game, then plugged the extra one or two in after I start it...it works, one time. Then after restarting that race etc. I loose the use of the extra controllers and the game realizes I have more than 3 and punishes me.
    I am going to check out the Xpadder forums and see if I'm missing something. Perhaps I am missing a step.

@Antoinel, Thanks for posting the how-to, it saved me a lot of grief.

@Derek, Thanks for the pictures, it eases the strain on my brain. lol Disabling the device put me back in business with 4 controllers in rf2. Sadly, like I mention above, I can't get Xpadder to allow me to use more than the game permits. ARGH, because I love my DSD sequential!

18. isamu

isamu Registered

OK thanks lop, keep me posted :)

19. lopsided

lopsided Registered

@Isamu I am one step closer to understanding why Xpadder has not done the trick for me. When plugging in 5 controllers, the game is choosing to not recognize my pedals. (If it didn't choose the pedals or wheel I'd be in business, but I'm not that lucky). I can not re-map the pedals so they are never recognized IF I exceed my controller limit.

If I were able to pick which controllers the game chooses to recognize (then that would be wheel, pedals, button box) then it would be an easy matter to simply re-map my sequential and/or h-shifter with Xpadder and I would be able to use all 5 controllers.

Obviously this is a much bigger issue to those using sims with 3 controller limits.

This is the missing piece of the puzzle for me. I thought I could re-map the shifter and still use wheel, pedals, box, sequential. But as I do not have control over which controllers it recognizes I can't do that.

If you are more fortunate and find that your game is not recognizing your button box or shifter, that's the controller you want to re-map in Xpadder. You can leave the rest alone.

20. isamu

isamu Registered

Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, that's exactly the problem.The stupid game only recognizes controllers in the top 3 ID Slots. If there was a way to disable them in Windows but have Xpadder still "see" them, them that would be GOLDEN!!

By the way, there is a SMALL light at the end of the tunnel for us mate. There's a guy working on a utility to remove USB devices from *within* Windows without having to physically unplug the device from your USB port. You cna read up on it here:

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1826303.page