Can't download temporal vMod from new dedicated server prototype in local network

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by M4nkey, Sep 22, 2014.

1. M4nkey

M4nkey Registered

I am running rFactor 2 on two different computers with two different licenses in the same local network. When I try to host a game on one of them with the new ui prototype the other one can't download the vMod, when trying to join. There's an error message of the "Cannot download Mod" sort, when I try. I tried a few different car and track combinations, all of them are already installed on both systems, so in theory he should only need the temporal vMod to join. I can succesfully join from the computer which is hosting the game and can also join other servers with temporal vMods. Is there anything special about LAN?

2. M4nkey

M4nkey Registered

So, I synced the Package folder of both installations. Now the created mpVmod_xxx is immediatly copied over to the other machine. It doesn't look for it though, so it still gives a "Mod not found" error, when trying to join. I can manually install the needed mpVmod from there on and that allows me to join, but it's like scratching my left ear with my right hand :D

3. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

1) Your "server" doesn't have to be a licensed copy. just a lite install will do. :p (ISI will thank you for the money) If the server needs an up-date just login with your account and preform the up-date. log-out if it's not done automatically. (But you can't do a race on the server install)

2) I think you need to open your ports and firewall to allow the Vmod to be uploaded.

Search the forum for port forwarding in rF2.

4. M4nkey

M4nkey Registered

Thanks for your input.

1) I'm not just using the second machine as Server, but the whole setup to play over lan with friends and family ;)

2) I took a look at the port forwarding and opend the port which was said to be for the data transport, but that didn't work. Also I thought port forwarding to be pretty silly and bothersome when I'm running in a local network. As far as I remember the game recognizes lan automatically, so it should be able to get this done on it's own. I'll probably try again with the full port forwarding configured -.-