Can't be bothered with skippys

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brack Jabham, Mar 21, 2013.

1. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Talk as much as you want, I won't believe that a car that has actual tires (street tires) on the rear axle will spin on every occasion.

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Well, do you have the same problem with the corvette?

I Can't remember the last time I spun in the skip but I guarantee spin the corvette at least once each time I join a server.

I ask if this is limited to just the skip or not because maybe there is some other force at work causing this issue if it's not your driving technique.

But you have to be honest with yourself if you are to get to the bottom of this issue.

3. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Corvette also has low grip, but it's manageable.

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

That's interesting because i find the opposite for myself (vs the skip) which is why i think perhaps there is something else messing it up for you. The corvette should be more difficult (at least in my mind) since it has so much more power to cause wheel spin, so if you're gentle enough with the throttle on the corvette then logically you shouldn't be having that sort of problem with the massively less powerful skip barber....and yet you are finding that you do. Very strange but interesting problem.

Can you describe the instances of how the skip looses the rear and you spin for you?

Also, you don't by any chance use video vsync in the graphics option do you?

5. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Skip isn't spinning on power. It's spinning on everything else, turning, braking, easing off the throttle.

6. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Right, well it has been some months since I've driven the skip so thinking back on it now, i do remember having quite a lot of trouble with threshold braking the first corner at LRP where it would just snap over-steer irrecoverably if I went past the limit of grip of on either of the rear tyres. So the advice people are throwing out about powering through the corner to keep the rear someone loaded is something i do remember now.

I remember many times spinning out at the first corner and hitting the barrier with much frustration so i can see where your coming from. I would ease the amount of brake pressure, set the brake point earlier and set the brake bias more towards the front to temper the inherently oversteery nature of the beast. Also apply power earlier to coast the car around the corners rather than late apexing to power out of the corner so you don't upset the balance.

I always applied at least a little power in any turning to keep the car more evenly balanced and hence overall gave me more grip to go quicker through the corner.

also if you look back at my lap of LRP, you can see my steering wheel twitching through the corners as i could feel the rear end wanted to step out, so definately matching with what your saying about the car (i just forgot about it).

View attachment 6790

this is KeiKei's setup that i used for my lap, maybe you give it a try and see if it makes a difference.

fyi, need not be said, but make sure your track is well rubbered in or else it will be as if not tyres.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013
  7. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I don't think there is something else than driving technique that messing it up for thuGG. I think the 60's F1 should be much harder to drive than Skip Barber, but I could drive the Spark F1 perfectly well but I could not drive the Skip Barber at all. Everytime I was spinning when entering first corner at Lime Rock Park, until I read about how to drive it. Then it took some time but now it's the easiest thing to drive.

Maybe you should not be so ignorant and do as you are told: don't lift throttle while braking. Easy.

8. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Ok. Then it's settled, F1 car from 60's is much easier to drive than Skip Barber training car.

9. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

No it is not. But I had only been driving 60's F1 because at the time, it was the only interesting car to me. Skip Barber requires another driving style. It takes a few laps to learn the right throttle/brake mix at corner entering with Skip, but then it is easy to drive. Now I think 60's F1 is much harder but I can drive them both.

10. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

Ye that's the gaming technique to get around every oversteering car :')
    Sadly, that's not how you're actually supposed to drive it.

11. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

I hate the Skip too.

12. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Actually I use it only for Skippy :p

I remember someone posted a video here comparing Schumacher and Barichello's driving technique, and Schumacher always kept a small amount of throttle while Barichello used right foot braking if I recall correctly. Interesting ;)

13. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Because you have to. I'm yet to see that 90 mins video, do they say to keep pushing throttle while breaking?
    And BTW when is the time to release the throttle? As I understand it, it's never, because when braking you have to push it, when making a corner you have to push it (to not lift off oversteer), and while accelerating you have to push it (obviously).

14. Miro

Miro Registered

They would do it if they could IRL but they can't because there is the steering linkage between the brake and the clutch pedal.
    They say you can do it if you have realy small feet. :p

15. Timpie Claessens

It wasn't a video, it was a telemetry plot from 1 corner.

And thuGG, you dont have to. You cant even do it in the real car because the steering column is in the way. You can drive the regional car at a good pace while right foot braking, you just can't drive it like a modern open wheeler which has a huge amount of grip and nearly no weight transfer.
    Skip Barber is rear engined car with insanely soft suspension and no downforce (wings are basically for show), which is why every input has to be smooth.

Best way to get used to it is brake in a straight line and be on the throttle while youre already turning in. Once you master the car like that you can start learning how to trailbrake it.
    T1 at LRP for instance is great corner to teach that since it requires alot of technique to take it fast.
    The first quarter of the corner is trailbraking, onnce youve slowed down enough for the first part you get back on the throttle to keep it stable.
    The next part of T1 eventually tightens up and braking here would be deadly since youre already steering so you use the weight transfer of the skip to make it turn in by just releasing the throttle a bit (not completely since, just like braking, that will be deadly :p )

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

You do not need to do both (braking and throttling) at the same time with the skippy...but it's helpful to make those extra last tenths of a second once you've figured out the rest first. So long as your progressive with the inputs that affect weight shifting off the rear and onto the front (e.g. trailing throttle oversteer, over braking, not applying brake pressure progressively causing a rapid/instantaneous transfer of weight causing snap oversteer, shifting down too earlier leading to loss of rear grip and into snap oversteer, etc).

If your using manual clutch then sure, heal and toe is important when your at the limit but if you can't even travel around the track at a below racing pace, then your likely doing something wrong.

Racing is all about speed,
    Speed is all about grip (and power ofc),
    Grip is all about weight shifting,
    Weight shifting is all about driver input.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013
  17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

In a magazine but there was also a video of it going through and explaining the exact same telemetry.

yeah, it may as well be a formula ford, lol.

[​IMG]

18. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Bottom line is some want to learn and others don't. Those who learn are rewarded. Those who don't are never satisfied. Skippy, Spark F1 and rf1 37 gp mods are IMO the best & most challenging mods to date of any sim. That doesn't change the fact that some will never know the magic of these cars b/c they won't put the effort in. Same as life in general. Fine with me, but sad for you.

19. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Heh, Spark F1, Eve F1, BT20 are my favorite cars in simracing to date (and also so so much easier than Skip). You missed.

The same can be said about 60's F1 cars, but somehow they behave a lot different.

20. Timpie Claessens

True but I think the difference is that those are formula 1 cars designed to go as quickly as possible.
    The Skip Barber is designed specifically as a training car to teach the driver exactly how a car will respond when you drive it in the wrong way, it wasn't designed to beat other cars on track. (Yes it has a race series but it races against the same cars)

And sorry Drripper, didnt know about that :)