Can't Access Display Settings From Launcher

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Gambelli, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Gambelli

Gambelli Registered

Hi All,

I have had rFactor2 on steam now for about 3-4 years with no real issues.

Today I bought and set up an Oculus Rift S. All went well setting up and accessing Steam VR, however I can't start rFactor2 in VR mode.

After researching, apparently you need to tick the VR box in the Display Settings in the launcher, the trouble is, I can't get to the Display Setting in the launcher, when I click on Display Settings, I get the blue processing wheel for about half a second then nothing. This has always been the case (since steam) and same with my friend's setup.

Here's what information I can provide:-

* I am running windows 10 with a GTX 1070 Graphics card with the driver up to date (had to do so today to install the Rift S)
    * I've spent 4 hours searching for answers, the only one I came across was to update DLL files, I used CCleaner to check Registry and it found and fixed 223 errors, I rebooted and still no joy
    * I am running rFactor 64 bit as confirmed in Task Manager by it not stating (32bit)
    * I read somewhere to see if you can get in to Display Settings via rf config.exe but there isn't such a file in the Bin64 folder
    * Build version is 1115
    * I read somewhere that d3dx11_43.DLL is needed, I have this file, but it's installed under the Program Files(x86) tree, like many of my DLL files seem to be
    * My whole steam install is set up under Program Files(x86) actually however I have read that this isn't an isue

I would really appreciate some help on this, I know back before steam I could get into this setting fine, so it's only been since the steam install.

Is there something else I'm doing wrong with VR setup? I wouldn't think so, when I go into SteamVR it makes me play the game in Theatre mode, when I go into Display Settings under single player in Theatre Mode, there is only the option for the monitor output, no VR checkbox.

Thanks very much in advance guys

Ta

Steve

2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Open, with notepad, the Config_DX11.ini file found in \Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData
    Find the line: VrSettings=0
    Change it to VrSettings=1
    That is the same as ticking the VR enabled box in Display Settings.

rf config.exe is in the Bin32 folder

This is all just advice and not to be taken as a "fix" as I don't have VR.

Good luck.

3. Gambelli

Gambelli Registered

Hi Adsta,

Thanks very much for this, actually, after I registered and posted on this forum, I thought I might try and find some form of log letting know what is missing when trying to run Display Settings. In doing so I came across the file you were referring to and ended up changing the VR setting through it anyway and it worked, so yes, thank you, that worked and at least has allowed me to get into the VR version of the game. Ultimately I'd still like to get to the crux of the problem regarding the Display Settings, so I'll keep digging and see if anyone has any other ideas on that part.

Thanks again for the help

ADSTA likes this.