Can you run championships with the AI ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bsmooth, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

I remember you used to be able to do this with the original Rfactor. Is it possible to set up tracks and mixed cars and run a championship ?
    I've seen both Howston's on the same track at the same time(not surehow).
    The AI is soo much better than I remember, I even got punted off for being too aggressive, great job on the AI.
    I know its probably been discussed a million times, so sorry If I'm kicking a dead horse.
    BTW how long has RFactor2 been out, I was just wondering when it might go gold .

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

There is no ingame Championship unfortunatley, for me this is a much needed little tool so a shame it's not there.

As for the game it was released a little over two years ago and will "go gold" in a couple more years yet, it's not a typical released game in the sense it gets a "gold" version though. I know that does'nt help but put it this way, it will only get better and better ovr the years to come until ISI move onto something else :)

3. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I don't think you can because even though you can write down results on pen and paper and keep track, the AI change very race. Frank Fauvel might not race every round. If you could set the AI you race against at every round it'd work, but as it is you choose CARS not individual AI

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah you need your own (or a Mods) specific Talent file to be sure the AI are not just random opponents each and every round, be nice if ISI did a quick convert of the rf1 ingame Championship even if it was in a rough state, I mean rf1s was'nt exactly great but it did the job just fine.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We'll stop developing it, or slow down, when we start developing something else. With rF1 this was 3-4 years after release, and we didn't intend to support that in the same was as rF2.

There's no championship mode in the software, and there won't be one in the software. This doesn't mean there won't be some way of doing it eventually.

You can have any cars you want on the track at the same time. In race settings select the type of opponents.

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Any way you could expand on "This doesn't mean there won't be some way of doing it eventually." please Tim?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
  7. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

So no championships unless its done by a third party. I wonder If the Rfactor one could be used somehow,? hmm....

8. nowayjose

nowayjose Registered

How is that not a critical feature?

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Thoroughly agree that it's a key component. I really really really hope ISI will reconsider this stance, relying on multiplayer only when there's no extensive and organized structure as in iRacing is a massive risk. For now my hope is a modder willing to fill this gap somehow.

10. 88mphTim

That's not what I said.

11. 88mphTim

Not at this time. Can't build expectation of a definite feature yet.

12. Golanv

Golanv Registered

It has been very clear for awhile that ISI is creating a platform for modders and leagues to run with a **** ton of detail concerning physics.
    AI is an extra to keep people with less to non interest towards multiplayer interested.
    Championship mode has been disgussed a dozen times and answer has been always, if not the same, very similar "no can do". This feature in my mind is also an important one, but I am willing to consider a third party solution.

My wish has been all along that these sims with heavy investment towards multiplayer, would have an open championship builder, that would work with AI and Multiplayer.
    This is nothing too complicated to create.
    Same mode could work for both alike, the server would automaticly save the files just like in a single player championship, with all the necessary information (save after each session, qualifying position, points, times etc...) for participants and the server. Server mod could edit the file if necessary for penalties for example.
    You could add automatic features like adding weight to the cars with certain race results, as some series do, or if running a multi class series, set the rules per car/class.
    With a little effort could also add a feature that would upload the results to a web browser form and could be viewed from leagues site, and even do import/export for the edit.

...of course this all could be done with a mod too, if theres enough leeway within the software.

13. williang83

williang83 Registered

So what you are doing is to confirm that rf2 will always be a car simulation and that's all. So please let me know if it is the goal, if so i will ask for refund immediately. I love racing in all shapes, physics is something that we deal with every day even with a simple and slow car.
    Surely physics is important, but racing is the whole weekend environment (practice, qualification, racing, take care of stints, having weather connected between sessions, mistakes that influence on future sessions) which is something that will NEVER be present in rF2. What you provide is a pure simulator, where you select a track, a weather, a car and run to see the result......so sad to see this in 2014 when games of 2000 and older had much better concepts.
    I was starting to regret the fact that i'm about to sell my rig, but if it is the case i see no reason to keep it. Iracing it is all about go there and race, rF2 is (at current state) a huge unfinished product (under my point of view), AC is the only hope but obviously their goal is huge numbers so surely realism will be sacrificed but maybe they won't have the best physics out there but a more finished and fined product.

14. Golanv

Golanv Registered

15. 88mphTim

Is this a question, or a statement? Either way, it's an incorrect summation of what was said.

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

'tis a shame but understandable.

Right then Community, who wants to program a Championship Editor specifically for AI usage then?

17. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

It'd be great if we could have random weather offline

18. Bsmooth

Bsmooth Registered

Sounds like its a feature that is wanted. Sounds like its something that could be done, but won't be done in the software. Unless ISI steps up and actually does it, it would have to be done by a third party.
    Don't get me wrong, I hope ISI does do something, but right now it doesn't sound like its in the works.
    And Yes Tim I know you didn't say that !
    I have great respect for you Tim, so I'm not trying to stick you between a rock and a hard place.

19. 88mphTim

IF we do it, it'll be a Web based solution that we've been thinking about bringing in for league support. Supporting a single player 'league' championship. That's about as much as I can say about what we WANT to do.

20. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

At least for the ISI Cars, it seems to me if you pick the same car (i.e. race number) it will have the same driver. Unless you duplicate, and even then the secondary driver is always the same.

Case in point: BT-20 #5 is always Jack Brabham.