Can you mimic multiview on one screen?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by jerrymcc, Dec 26, 2016.

1. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

I have a 42" monitor, but would like a wider/shorter view, similar to the multiview resolutions.

FOV and seat positions stretch things too much and it's distracting.

Is there a way to mimic a multiview appearance on a single monitor in a window probably. I'm ok and expect it will be shorter than my monitor, I'd just like a wider view without so much distortion.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Even if you could it wouldn't look any better; multiview works because the side screens are physically facing you. Having the multiview sides rendered on your flat screen would just look distorted in a new (and exciting?) way. That's why multiscreen users can choose to have their screens flat (in a straight line) without multiview, or angle the side screens and use multiview. That's if they want a somewhat realistic view.

Actually your large screen should produce less visible distortion with usual FOV than smaller screens do. What are you trying to achieve?

3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

if your monitor is bigger than full HD you culd use nnnn(max from your monitor resolution) x 1080p would give you a bigger fov
    If you are on a fullHD monitor you can also try 1920x720p resolution (since your screen is big if you sit close to it should be ok), you need to make a custom res in Windows if I remember right as that config file in rF2 won't be usefull to make it. I used power strip to make custom res last time I tried this (I was curious so I did it before).
    Create custom res, save it, go back to your normal res, rF2 video config should now give you the option to run at that res you set, you'll have to use windowed mode because it will look horrible on full screen

4. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

I just wanted a wider view including some of the side windows, at the sacrifice of some vertical height.

Changing the FOV much just looks strange and distracting. I might try the custom resolution that Will mentioned, not sure how to do it ATM though. There are a few programs out there, primarily for flight sims, that do some of this ... Warpalizer, Display Lite, etc., but they are mostly for projector matching, and are kind of costly.

With VR close, it probably makes more sense to move to it when it's ready.

5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I used this one http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm to create the custom res, it's very easy actually as I only put the resolution without messing with any of the other numbers there, the program adjusts automatically, maybe this res is already there, not sure
    Btw it doesn't look "horrible" on full screen at all, you'll get the black parts bellow/above the resolution you set, like a movie, 1920x720 is 21:9 I think

6. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

Thanks, Will. I'll give it a try.