Can we hope for more practical UI in multiplayer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nibo, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Nibo

Nibo Registered

I know, now is not the time for interface requests. But please, ISI, consider at some period during development at least this 3 changes. I really appreciate that now we have color coding for in/out of the pits cars. But in other places rF2 multiplayer interface is worse than rF1, imo.

1. Make TV screen bigger. In rf1 it was good size, now I can not see anything on it. It so small. Why make it so small...
    2. Please add best sector times to results table. This is really important info for driver during weekend to see. Also font size can be smaller and info can be packed tighter, like in F1 live timing.
    This is how i think it will be practical and usable:
    View attachment 612
    3. Remove "LEAVE TRACK" button from extended TV view. It`s counterintuitive. I pressed it 3 times by mistake (I wanted to go from extended view back to main MP screen) and quit server. IMO, there should be only one place to quit server - in main MP screen, to avoid confusion.
    View attachment 613

Also, it would be good to have button for Admins "Reverse N postions". After pressing which entered number of positions in Qualy results will be reversed in order. Because its such a frequent operation in leagues which run 2-3 races in one evening, like BTCC. And its not easy to do without batch command.

Thank you.

2. Simon Roberts

Simon Roberts Registered

I have never had a problem with it the way it is now, works very well i think.

3. ROON

ROON Registered

Me either.

I think it's a good size. The smaller window means that more screen space can be used to display what is most important, ie. times and standings. If you really want to be spectating other drivers you can maximise it.

But you press the small icon which is next to the change camera/driver button to maximise the TV view, it's not that hard to understand that you have to press that one again in order to minimise. Perhaps the 'leave server' button could be made smaller, but quite frankly I've not had any issues with accidentally pressing it.

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I have to agree with OP, preview window is too small, i used it allot to follow my fellow gearheads on-track and checking the times and chat at the same time, this is no longer a good option. preview screen is abit redundant now.

As for the leave button, yeah, its just getting used to it but i would like to see it beeing relocated all together, not next to garage and settings etc. move it up, out of normal clicking range.

Imo the whole game is not very intuative. in time we will get used to it but its very apparent that its not intuative enough, usualy you 'get' it in a few hours/days but i'm still pressing the wrong buttons often which indicates for me that it should be placed better.

car-previews for example, i hear allot of people complain the pictures are too big, too many clicks to find a car. why not have the arrow buttons on the keyboard also control this? that would speed things up immensly and make it much more useable.

But ah well, just a beta and we will get modders to change things in the future :)

5. shenkson

shenkson Registered

First of all, I am really enjoying the game so far. But as we are beta testing the game, I would like to add some comments on the multiplayer UI too. Basically, I am missing information about:

• The sessions that will be hosted (which sessions, length of each session, will there be a formation lap, etc.).
    • Server name. So I can tell a friend which server I am on, so he can join.
    • The laptimes of the laps I have driven in the current session
    • The reason for a DQ.

6. shenkson

shenkson Registered

I think the process of choosing a server could also be much improved by adding some extra information.

For instance, when looking for a server, I am only interested in those servers in which a race has not yet started, so I can do some practice laps and qualify. Right now, information about the current session can only be seen by clicking on a server, and the remaining time in a session can only be retrieved by joining a server. This makes it quite tiresome to find a server in my opinion. Simply providing an extra column for this information would make it much easier to narrow down the list to the servers I am interested in.

Then, before joining one of these servers I am interested in, I would like to know some more information. The information I am primarily interested in is which sessions will be hosted, and the length of the sessions. For instance, will there be a warm-up session, and how many laps will the race be? Yesterday, I had been practicing for over half hour, done a 20 minute qualifying session, only then to find out the race would be just 5 laps, which only takes about 6 minutes on the Inner Loop C at Mills. Also, it would be nice to know whether there will be a formation lap or the race will start immediately. Information about the weather might also be useful.

Some other smaller annoyances concerning the server list:
    • Circuit names: it would be nice to show the circuit name as well, and not only the configuration like Outer, Inner, North, or Full Loop. It is confusing already and it will only be worse when more tracks become available.
    • Series: mods that I do not have installed should not be shown here. It only makes the list longer and I cannot join them anyway.
    • Sorting: after refreshing the server list, either by having pressed the Refresh button or when a particular server could not be joined, the list is always sorted by server name, even if it was sorted by series, circuit or number of participants before refreshing.
    • Filter: for me it would be much more useful to have a filter option to hide password protected games instead of the option to hide to all non-password protected games.When I have a password for a particular server I will have the server name as well so I can find it easily. When I do not have a password, then showing the password protected servers is useless, so it would be nicer to hide them from view.

7. UOPshadow

UOPshadow Registered

For me the UI is not very functional. It's illogical and not intuitive. Even the rf1 menus were better.

- not enough information at first glance
    - important informationt cluttered over several screens
    it's a clickfest and confusing.
    etc. pp.

I'm sorry, because this is harsh critique, but this not good work I'm afraid to say. There are UI designers out there - why not hire one?

8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

i dont think its harsh but i dont think you should point out to better designers either lol, for all we know they only wanted something functional in the beta and the epic UI designs are for the future :)

9. Nibo

Nibo Registered

I also forgot to mention that screen with "Race Settings" from rF1 does not exist in rF2. Maybe its not implemented yet. Please do not forget it for multiplayer.

10. TheAngryGimp

TheAngryGimp Registered

I agree with the OP on the UI. I think its fine as far as it functions, but could use a bit of an overhaul in the listing department. I also think the sliding tiles just don't work well compared to the tree view in RF1.
    multiplayer server window needs to add some basic info as well, like number of laps/time/ping to the server list view.

Loving the physics and especially the FFB on my g27 so far.