Can I take 90fps for VR?

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Armando Gones, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Armando Gones

Armando Gones Registered

Hello everyone!
    I would like to know If my rig can play rf2 on VR with 90 FPS (Oculus Rift CV1) with low or medium graphics settings.
    CPU FX 8530
    GPU GTX 1060 6GB
    8GB RAM DDR3
    Windows 7 and rf2 running on SSD 120 GB
    I realized that with no cars on track I can actualy run 90 FPS with graphics on high/medium no shadows or effects, AA level 3.
    The problem is when I put several AI's on track to simulate a Race. FPS drops to about 60 and i get motion sickness.
    I still not able to test on server with another racers to check if I'll have same problem How i had with AI's.

2. stonec

stonec Registered

Your biggest problem is not having PCI Express 3.0 available. This will limit GTX 1060 performance with rF2, especially at race starts and newer content. If you run low settings (mainly shadows) you can reduce this PCI-E bottleneck somewhat. But not sure if it's enough to run 90 FPS with GT3 pack at race start, probably not unless you limit visible opponents to less than 10.

Armando Gones likes this.
  3. albert39

albert39 Registered

Put AA to 1, in VR there is a little quality difference and you'll win some FPS.

4. Armando Gones

Armando Gones Registered

Thanks a lot stonec! Really my MB has PCI-E 2.0. Its a m5a97 r2.0. I'm thinking in change my GPU to a 1070, but How you said, with this MB maybe I'm not have any gain, correct?

5. Armando Gones

Armando Gones Registered

Thanks albert39! I'm allready did this but not had any gain of FPS

6. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

there will be no noticible difference unless you turn off ASW (Oculus tray tool does that). Otherwise, Oculus FPS jumps between 45 and 90, and unless you have enough to get to 90, it'll stay at 45fps.

Biggest gains in VR in terms of FPS: turn shadows to low, reflections to low, PP to off and have as few vehicles visible as you can accept.

I wouldn't worry about PCIE too much. On my system difference between 2.0 and 3.0 is approximately ~7% in FPS, so it is not day night difference.

7. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

Nah there is something wrong with your system. PCIe 3.0 has 30% better FPS.

8. Armando Gones

Armando Gones Registered

Thanks! Do you think a upgrade to a 1070 with my actual rig do some diference? I read about ASW and official post said It only works with Windows 8 or above. My is 7. Works update to w10?

9. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

I am not sure about ASW, you could use OTT to investigate. The way rF2 currently is, I doubt moving up from 1060 to 1070 will make big difference, other than you can use more AA or Supersampling in SVR. Right now in VR it is CPU that matters the most. This might change with time, might not. I am on 1080ti, it's ok, but could be better. But I don't mind 45FPS with ASW personally, it is when it falls below 45 that's where things get really bad with CV1.

Atsuki and Armando Gones like this.
  10. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

PCI-e@3.0 x16 > 155-210 fps
    PCI-3x16.jpg

PCI-e@3.0 x8 (PCI-e@2.0 x16) > 115-165 fps
    PCI-3x8.jpg

S397 is working with PCIe 2.0 vs PCIe 3.0 issue but it is not sure if it can be solved. Remember that his is only rF2 issue and in other games performance is almost equal with PCIe 2.0 vs PCIe 3.0 but if rF2 is dear to you upgrade your MOBO and CPU ;)

Louis and Armando Gones like this.
  11. Armando Gones

Armando Gones Registered

When I test with some cars to simulate a race, even when FPS on 45 I could realize that some frames are missing. I carry on through the test for 30 minutes. About 2 hours later I start to feel dizzy and remain until this rest of day. I'm not feeling this when I test alone on track, which means that sickness about FPS.

12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Right Ctrl + numpad 1, ASW Off, fps varies.
    Right Ctrl +numpad 2 ASW Off, fps lock 45.
    Right Ctrl + numpad 3 ASW On fps lock 45.
    Right Ctrl + numpad 4 ASW On fps either 45 or 90 depending on performance.

13. Armando Gones

Armando Gones Registered

Got it. I'll try this to check. Thanks a lot!

2ndLastJedi likes this.