Can anyone in England who's on virgin media host an online server ?????

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Adrianstealth, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I can't,what ever I try

The server shows up on the online server list but no one can connect

I've opened all the correct ports, turned off windows firewall even enabled DMZ (or what ever it's called)

Is it possible with virgin media ?(standard 20meg package)

2. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Just tried it for the first time and yes, I can host a server, join locally and have a mate join over t'internet.

3. kaptainkremmen

Sorry, that wasn't all that helpful was it :rolleyes:

What I did..... Hosting on my PC and playing on same PC. I have a slightly different router to you tho and running Vista64.

From within windows I set my machine to use a static IP but you can let the router do this for you.

Log on to the router and go to LAN Setup. Add a 'Reservation' and you should see your PC and its IP address listed along with its MAC address. Select it and it should fill in the details in the boxes below. Click 'Add'. This will make sure your PC always gets allocated the same IP if windows is set to DHCP.

Select 'Port Forwarding/Port Triggering' . Make sure the Port Forwarding button is selected. Add Custom service. Give the service a name. UDP. Start port 54297. End port 54297. Add your IP address. Apply.

repeat for port TCP 54347 .

Logout of the Router

Go to Windows Firewall. 'Allow a Program through Windows Firewall', Add Program, browse to .exe for the dedicated server in your RF2 Core folder.

I wouldn't advise DMZ ing the router or turning off your Firewall for too long :).

I did this before I tried Hosting for the first time and everything worked ok.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
  4. Spadge

Spadge Registered

I feel your pain; Virgin are a truly loathsome ISP.

I wouldn't say there was any problem at all putting your PC in the DMZ if you have the firewall on. I'd be more likely to ask why you feel you need to have both on.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Thanks for the kind replies!

Kaptain -big thanks I'll have a go at that

Spadge -don't know I'm just trying everything I can

It seems impossible, I have a 2nd of especially for this ( I can connect to it from my sim pc by clicking LAN -it's just friends can't join useing multiplayer etc -they can see the server though )

Frustrating -you'd think it would be easy hey

6. kaptainkremmen

Indeed I should have said 'DMZ and Firewall' but there are still benefits to running both especially if you network a number of devices through the router.

7. kaptainkremmen

My friend had trouble at first attempt but he had selected Skippy Regional and I had set Nationals for the session. :)