Buttons and switches

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by J0E, Sep 25, 2020.

1. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

2. trichens

trichens Registered

I've built one of these and wasn't able to find a momentary switch of that design so instead just used a push button the same as those used elsewhere on the panel.
    However, I have subsequently found these at Amazon..
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Switch-Ele...momentary+toggle+switch&qid=1671180720&sr=8-4

3. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Thanks for your reply regarding the momentary toggle. After much study, it’s actually the use and wiring of the {latching on-off toggle} that I have found the most confusing. Most if not all rFactor 2 functions appear to be activated by momentary contacts. A {latching on-off} would therefore seem to require manual cycling in order to operate an instruction in rFactor 2. So: “off to on” would be required to activate/engage/(turn on) an rF2 function. This would need to be manually followed by “on to off” to manually reset the switch. To deactivate/reverse/(turn off) the rF2 function, the switch would need to manually perform another “off to on” followed by a “on to off” to recycle the switch. The momentary switches either toggle or push button perform the recycle automatically. I think the latching on-off toggle may be included for use with sims other than rF2. So you need to understand your switch selection and operation, depending on your end use needs. I would agree that for rFactor 2 you really only need momentary switches either toggle or push button. Use of only momentary switches may cause limitations in other sims? This detail never seems to be discussed in any of the button box reference tutorials. I stand to be corrected, but this seems to me to be the way a { latching on-off switch} on a button box works. Any link to a reference that can more clearly show the wiring of a { latching on-off switch} appreciated.

4. trichens

trichens Registered

Not sure that you would ever need a latching switch TBH.
    All we are doing with a button box is emulating a keyboard ( or joystick ) - linking these through a device like an Arduino is just faking another one of these devices.
    I've not tried using a latching switch. In theory you *could* configure an Arduino to handle one of these. Set one way and it sends a single button press and the other sends a different button press - or another press of the same button.

5. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Agreed, I can’t see where you would need a latching switch in rF2.Yes, some one also mentioned that, to me, that the latching switch could be managed with arduino code. I haven’t had a chance to look for any arduino code to do as you describe.Any ideas?