Build 90 SLI Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by otta56, Jun 17, 2012.

1. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Thanks. I used this tool a while ago and found it introduced random stuttering and have not used it since.....

I currently don't experience stuttering, so I'll give it another go and see if some is introduced. lol

Can't recall the graphs on it though, but I am old and it was a long time ago.

2. otta56

otta56 Registered

Yes, it is the latest version of NVidia Inspector. Left cick on the graphing tool to open it, then right click and select all of the various monitoring options. I used the standard 1000 ms option. I also leave the graph full size and use the MS snipit tool to capture the jpeg after several laps. All options including shadows are set to max to use as much video memory as possible. Game aa is set to none with ssaa (32xS) set to over ride game aa and adaptive sync in nvidia inspector. I also use 25 Ai to push the cpu. This combination uses just over 2.1 GB video memory. It jumps to 2.7 GB with hdr on (figure came from. Gtx580 3GB setup I used prior to current gtx680 2 GB sli. 15 ai uses 1.93 GB. Massive stuttering occurs once the game has to swap textures from main memory to video memory above 2 GB card limit. Rubber banding occurs below the 2 GB limit so I suspect the game requires more optimization. The rubber banding becomes more obvious as detail levels and number of ai are increased although it is still there but less visible at lower settings. Keep in mind this is always with multiview enabled and 6008x1200 resolution. I don't know about single screen performance.

3. MrPix

MrPix Registered

thanks Otta, what car and track combo do you do this test with? I have found different combos have a massive effect on VRAM. Since installing the GTX680 4GBs in SLI @ 5910x1200, I have not gone past 1.7GB VRAM with everything maxxed out and Multiview on, HDR off. This is slightly annoying as with my GTX580 3GBs SLI setup, I was getting 2GB+ use of VRAM on most tracks and cars when maxxed out on the settings. I'll set it up with the settings you provide above once you let me know the car/track combo.

I did some testing against some old benches I took last night breifly, and can say that there is a great improvement all round on FPS with the new setup and more importantly, my min FPS have increased the most.

Cheers

4. MJP

MJP Registered

@MrPix

Try Fuji with HDR on, it's an absolute VRAM hogfest on my system.

5. otta56

otta56 Registered

I use Spa and Brianza for test purposes. Spa seems to be the most demanding in terms of vram due to the large number of trees. You can run rF2 windowed to keep the NVidia Inspector chart visible at all times. The amount of vram used should show the maximum used once the car is visible in the paddock. Cars are the 1960s formula and the Megane sedans.

Portugal shows the most stuttering and rubber banding for me using the Megane series although vram usage is not the highest. You can also set the transparency anti-aliasing to 8x sparse grid super sampling to increase vram use although this shows the limits of gpu processing speed more than actual vram impact. Framerates become a sideshow. Straight 8x super sampling has almost no performance impact and no visual improvement in anti-aliasing artifacts that I can see. I suspect NVidia needs to do some code tuning to make this useful as the gpu does not seem very efficient processing at the sparse grid super sampling setting. Image quality is very good but the gpu is maxed out at 99% all the time. Again, keep in mind that 6008x1200 resolution is higher than most users will run and requires substantially more vram than 5760x1080 resolution. I had originally intended to use 3 30" monitors but this would require almost 6 GB of frame buffer and higher clock speeds than the current gpu is capable of supplying at a 7550x1600 resolution. My current speed charts show the gpus running at their maximum of 1280 and 1300+ Mhz at 6008x1200.

The attached shows my Nvidia Inspector settings in case that will help.

View attachment 3086

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012
  6. MrPix

MrPix Registered

OK, I concur with your findings otta56. Portugal seems to have major issues. with HDR and Multiview on I'm getting 70+ FPS in the garage, but as soon as I hit the sunlight in the pit, this drops to 12- 8fps. If I turn off HDR, my FPS dips as low as 31 along the pit straight and up to 72 elsewhere, averaging 50FPS across the circuit. GPU's never went above 96% nd 88%, CPU stayed below 51% as it's running on 2 cores I reckon out of the 4 available.

I have manged to pump up the IQ settings to use 2471MB VRAM though, so feel somewhat jujstified in gettingthe 4GB versions, but can't help thinking the small hike from the 580 3GB SLI setup has left a rather large hole in my bank balance at the moment.

7. otta56

otta56 Registered

Performance improvements with the GTX680 are minimal at the present stage of development of rF2 over the GTX580. I suspect it will require the next gen NVidia Kepler2 gpu (possibly the consumer version of Tesla due to ship in the third quarter of 2012) and 4GB of vram per card before rF2 can be run at high resolutions and frame rates with all options turned on.

On the plus side, rF1 can be run with all options maxed out and will provide 60 fps with 25 AI on the Targa Florio circuit at 32xS SSAA. The GTX580s could not manage this level of performance. Temperatures for the GTX680s are also lower.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012