Build 494 league issues and what I did to fix them -> race server admins join thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I changed the name of my rfmod to *********_BSS_Round_1.rfmod (it had spaces before) and it solved most of the headaches with my group. Not all but most. Also, we have a replay that we toss around in an offline endurance race and none of us could resume the replay that we started with the previous build- we had to start the race over again with a new rfmod. So I don't think that - vs. _ makes a difference TBH.

2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

try joining my wrracing.net server. I made vmods for it with ISI content and I have been able to join it with no problems. Even using Getmod to get the vmod from my public dropbox worked.

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Spaces are fine everywhere but the actual mod "file" name. The mod name, server name, ect ect are all safe to have spaces. The problem comes with the HTTP server not handling spaces in the filename itself. But even if you remove the spaces in the filename you will not get a join button consistently. The other problem is the HTTP server that is built into the dedicated server crashes very frequently and when it crashes you don't know it because the server keeps on running. You can have guys driving on your server while the HTTP server crashes and these drivers can keep on driving but no one else will be able to join. What I suggest is query your servers with a web browser from time to time and if your browser times out you know it's time to restart your dedicated server.

The URL to query is in this format:
    Code:
    http://<Server IP>:<HTTP Port>/SessionInfo/
    Here is one of ISI's servers for example. This is one of the test servers, so it should actually work unlike ISI's public servers running on the public build which crashes all the time:
    http://68.60.174.118:7777/SessionInfo/

This URL is case sensitive and must include the trailing /.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

vmods can only be downloaded directly from the dedicated server. They can't be offloaded to Dropbox the way the individual components can. It would be great if vmods and skins could also be off loaded though. Maybe in the future they will make this possible.

5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Maybe I haven't made a vmod then.... but the mod I made which links to mod files downloads from your getmod service using dropbox as a download.

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

To be more clear. rfmod files can't be offloaded. Only the rfcmp files that can be offloaded. You will notice a link that says "Log View" on my GetMod service. Log into your account and then click that link. Then remove the vmod from your rf2 install and then join your server and let GetMod do it's thing. Now go back and refresh the log on my service and you will see there is no activity. GetMod is a two part process. First it pulls the rfmod (vmod) from the dedicated server's built in HTTP server. The rfmod then contains download links for each rfcmp file that you included. That is where my service kicks in an redirects the requests to your Dropbox account. But the first stage always comes directly from the server. The server does its own QoS so that the HTTP server doesn't impact people racing on the server. This causes the vmod to sometimes download at a snails pace. That is why it would be nice to have a way to offload that part too.

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

How does it know where to download my mod then? I set the URL to your site? How does it know where to look on the server for it?