BUILD 494 benchmark 47 fps back of Monaco 67 starting grid

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by samuelw, Mar 2, 2014.

1. samuelw

samuelw Registered

With new build many are reporting drop in fps. I'm getting 47 fps at the back of a starting grid of 18 AI (all visible) at Monaco 67. Running GTX 660TI and I5 2500k at 1920 x 1080 with anisotropic filtering set to 4x and antialiasing set to 8x cssa In Nvidia Control Panel. Nvidia Control Panel set to overide game. Shadows are set to high. Every thing else to eiher full or max. This is roughly comparable to what I got with the previous build.

2. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I have gained a few FPS, and I'm on a wimpy AMD card, 6950 2GB...
    It's not much but a few. I then decided to go all-in on overclocking my card, it has given me even more
    I've been whipping it hard and even harder now... It's very overclocked, but the Cayman GPU can take a good beating! After Silverstone was updated the lowest 'score' I got was 18FPS, in the last corner.
    With the new build it was 22 FPS same spot at it's lowest out of 5 laps (same scenario I create for myself every time, Silverstone, 1 Clio, 12pm) you would be able to see when it started struggling...
    After I OC'ed a bit more it just briefly dips into the high 20's and it's barely noticeable... It's probably a mixture of updated and optimized Silverstone 1.14, new build and stepping up the OC profile a notch.

I like what I see and it runs more and more smoothly. All of my settings are high/full, highest they can get, apart from soft particles which is on low and show smooth is on fast...
    AA is on level 4 (out of 8) I heard 4 was the best compromise between performance and looks with AMD... Texture filtering is x16... It's pretty much what I've always run with to be able to look at rF2 without too much ageing-grief...
    Like I said... It looks 'good' it runs more and more smoothly, it is going in the right direction from my perspective...

If I had the money though, I'd throw them after a 780 GTX, till then I have hopes that rFactor2 will gain some friendship with AMD cards

3. tomolart

tomolart Registered

I've gained a noticeable difference, on my 560Ti with FPS staying around 100 with cars behind me on a race, with them infront it goes down to around 65-70.

4. Magus

Magus Registered

This could be why. With HDR automation you may want to set your NvCP to default and let rF2 take care of AA and see how your performance is. See the latest posts in THIS thread

5. samuelw

samuelw Registered

I seem to do better using nvCP rather than in game.

6. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I also prefer rF2's congif options over NVCP. Level 5 AA looks great on my system and it barely affects the framerate.

7. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Your card has also(probably) dual bios right? If it has, you can unlock some of the bios locked shaders and transform your card in to poor 6970 version and gain even more fps(although not much). Of course is not 100% that your card will work as 6970, but most of the times work, specially if you have earliest version of card. My work without a problems about year and half now. You have manuals all over the net how to do it. But unlocked 6950 card has not the same electronic component as real 6970, so you need to be careful with overclocking. The best thing is not overclock it when is unlocked. The best thing is, because it has 2 bios, if go something wrong, you just switch to second bios and you are back to standard 6950. Practically very safe process.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
  8. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Yeah thanks for the tip, I did it back when the card was new, flashed it, and gained the shaders and the higher clocks...

It didn't go well with rFactor, either 1 or 2, it artifacted after 5-10 mins play, wierd squares all over my screen so I've gone back long ago :)

9. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to go back and try the ISI settings.

Not that I'm having any problems running this game with a GTX 780 - currently using 4xMSAA, 4xSGSSAA and texture filtering LOD bias at -1.00, all using Nvidia inspector. The game looks great like this. Most of the jaggies are taken care of. However if the in-game AA has been improved then I'll give it a look.

10. Magus

Magus Registered

Tbh I've not tried any of Bart S's settings as I am running Sli/multiview & therefore wasn't applicable to me. Just me keeping an eye on the technical thread & so pointed samuelw there.

I haven't actually upgraded to the new build, mainly because my CSW base is with Fanatec atm but also waiting to see if there is further build before I get everything back and set up. The HDR automation won't do anything for me as I have to turn it off to get a steady 60fps. It's a shame as some of the images I've seen look decent and I'm sure on your 780 everything is looking delightful :D

11. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Than you must be unlucky one :) But no big deal, because performance improvement across the board is only 2-3%, and that you can easily achieve with overclock.

Anyway on topic: I also get a little bit of improvement and i am perfectly happy right now with my modded 6950. But i must say that the biggest impact on my performance in positive way(stuttering almost gone and game run much much better at least for me) was the next two things in PLR file: Max Framerate="60.00000"(default is 0) and Steady Framerate Thresh="0.00000"(default is 0.00100). But i must change both parameters, if i change only one of them there is no positive effect.

12. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Yeah, it only did it in ISI games... FC3, BF3 and pCARS was alright...

What does these lines do?

13. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Limit graphic card max frames per second to 60. That means, that time that cpu will be spend processing power on creating more than 60 FPS(because the card is capable), cpu rather spend time and is available quicker for next task. So game can run smoother.

Steady Framerate Thresh="0.00000" // Allowed threshold in seconds to try to 'catch up' when falling behind using Max Framerate (use 0 for original behavior). This helps steady the framerate but may introduce more latency. But don't worry about latency, if you don't use Vsync.

14. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

I don't use vsync... could this help me, you say? :p

15. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Of course you must try :). Will not hurt you if will not work, in the end you can lose only time :)

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've wondered is this a myth or is it proven? not doubting you at all but I never limit my framerate, would like to read some more information on this and decide if it's actually worth it, anyone got a handy link to a website/page about it? ta

17. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

This is just what i heard or i think i heard hehe and i don't know in details, what is going on. But i can assume something must going on. Maybe not as alone parameter but in conjunction with others? I don't know really. You can see my PC spec and when i set this two parameters as described above, it is like i play a new game. Stuttering is almost gone. The game run a lot more fluid, even if run under 60 FPS. But that was not case with everybody as some report no differences. So i assume that this has something to do with differences in hardware spec including monitor setups. It can be true also, that people with enough powerful hardware, don't notice any differences because of that.

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya

I guessed that the higher the figure the more possibly lag introduced,
    So 00000000 would be a good setting (if no negative side effects)

I could be wrong though -anyone know for sure ?

Steady Framerate Thresh="0.00000" // Allowed threshold in seconds to try to 'catch up' when falling behind using Max Framerate (use 0 for original behavior). This helps steady the framerate but may introduce more latency.

19. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

When I auto-updated from 382 to 494 I had lower fps and some small graphic glitches... So did a fresh install of build 494 and it works great for me. Maybe you should re-install if you have problems.

Btw, I always cap my framerate because I have so bad stuttering otherwise. Even if I have 250 fps I can get massive stuttering if I get fps drop to 200, sometimes. It runs much smoother if I limit my fps...

20. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Exactly... I have it set to 0.00000