Build 228 SLI Performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by otta56, Jun 14, 2013.

1. otta56

otta56 Registered

SLI performance in Build 228 is the same as in Build 218: no changes in framerate for the same settings (multiview, HDR on, all settings at maximum, 10 AI, triple screen 8020X1440, 3 way sli Nvidia Titans, Nvidia 320.18 driver).

Brianza averages 18 - 22 fps in windowed mode; 10 - 13 fps in non-windowed mode.

Monte Carlo averages 17 - 24 fps in windowed mode; 9 - 13 fps in non-windowed mode.

SLI uses two cards only; third card is idle (see attached chart).

Bloom artifacts are the same as they were in Build 218 with these settings (see attached files).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013
  2. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

Wow... this makes no sense... I have a 690 and I get 60 on the start grid and 140-180 in race... what is going on ?????
    Ill take a screenie and post it... makes no sense....

i get the bloom issues but i have seen that file and I am going to fiddle with it... fps is no where near that on a dual gpu single card solution ????

edit... im running single screen at 1080p... triple screen problem :(?

3. otta56

otta56 Registered

4. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Yes - that resolution is huge even for two working Titans.

5. otta56

otta56 Registered

There are 3 Titans. The current sli profile does not appear to use more than two. That is something Nvidia will have to resolve.
    A single Titan will give 20-30 fps without HDR in a previous build. There is a post about the performance differences in the forum. A search under the keyword "Titan" should turn it up.

Without reflections and HDR fps is between 40 - 60 on most tracks with 25 AI and multiview @ 8020X1440.

rF2 still requires optimization to run on three screens with multiview, HDR, full reflections and sli active.

Neither ISI nor Nvidia appear to test at the resolutions and configurations the video hardware, drivers and software is advertised as being capable of supporting. Perhaps that will be resolved in time. That has been the case with rF1, which now runs at a constant 60 fps with all options on maximum and 25 AI. But again, the sli profile only uses two cards, years after the game came out despite Nvidia advertising that 3-way sli works automatically for most games. Requests to Nvidia for updated rF1 and rF2 profiles have gone unanswered.

The point of the high resolutions and multi-card setup is to test vendor claims of compatibility and performance. The combination of Nvidia 3 way sli in surround mode and rFactor does not appear to support the performance claims made at this point in time at least at the maximum settings for the hardware and software.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2013
  6. maseratialfa

maseratialfa Registered

I run an ATI 7970 with triple's. With the new build I had to turn Supersample to Multisample in the CCC. The frame rates went from 40 FPS to 140 minimum. I don't know if Nvidea has something like this, but perhaps you might want to check.

7. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I'm running triple monitors at 5760x1080 resolution with 2 Radeon 7970. Right now it's completely unplayable with 20-50 fps alone on track, 15-20 fps with 10 AI. Disable crossfire and I have even worse performance, so it's not that game is not optimized for two graphic cards.

I recently installed a new motherboard because the old one was mATX and had it's PCI slots too close for such big cards as 7970. But I did test it, and I had 60-90 fps driving alone around Poznan. Single card gave me 40-60 fps. Strange thing is that first time I fired up rF2 after installing my second GPU, I had massive lag and only 5 fps that felt like 0,5... And now I don't remember what I did, but I changed something and it was running nice 60-90 fps. I just can't remember what I did.

So it did work very well with my old motherboard, but with my new (that is supposed to be very good), It's not playable. I'm sure there's something up with the software... Just can't figure out what it is!! Same Catalyst 13.6 beta and 13.5 CAP1. I even downloaded 13.4 and tried it, but that was a huge mistake because this version doesn't recognize my second GPU anymore, so Crossfire is not available.

But I KNOW that good performance is achievable... just don't know what is wrong with my software! All windows updates installed, motherboard drivers, chipset etc etc... ULPS disabled.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013
  8. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

One thing that helped my SLI was making sure I was using at least 8xPCIe. I too had a board where the slots were too close for my 2 cards so I had to use the third PCI slot. This meant my lane speed was 4xPCIe. Once I got a new MB where all slots supported at least 8xPCIe I got a large boost so check your PCIe lane speeds. 16xPCIe2 or 8xPCIe3 should be ideal.

9. maseratialfa

maseratialfa Registered

The 7970 should be able to deliver, a single works for me. How did you update the Catalyst???? I use ATI man uninstaller, and follow up with CCleaner. After that I install the new version and set up eyefinity. Both I racing, and RF2 suffer a huge hit in FPS if you have supersample enabled in Catalyst. If so change it to multisample and it should work much better. Also make sure the filter is not in edge detect, use standard as the filter setting.

10. Magzire

Magzire Registered

18 - 22 was your highest! That is not playable.

11. oqvist

oqvist Registered

Just tried SLI with my new GTX 580x2 setup. No performance gain and massive stutters... Seem to be the same with every game I try so SLI is not for me unless I am able to somehow fix this.

Any noob tips regarding stutter in general? I tried different kinds of v-sync but it´s not enough. I only run single monitor so I can max out everything on my new haswell CPU at 1080p so it´s more of an academic thing to see if SLI has any potential at all. There is no point running in higher fps if you negate that by getting down to 1 fps minimum or if you call frame loss 0 :)

12. Max

Max Registered

guys don't you know... This SIM eats TITAN's for breakfast.. :mad: :confused:

13. team355

team355 Registered

Lol Max....lol

14. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Same here with 2x680gtx, unplayable because of stutters. Disabling SLI get rid of stuttering, keeps the same FPS but the performance is also horrible for such graphics.

I can run Metro 2033 and Crysis 3 all maxed with 60 FPS+ in 1080 p. rFactor2 has the worst performance in my system considering all games / simulators installed. It's not optmized and I'm afraid it never will be, it only get worse from one build to another.

15. oqvist

oqvist Registered

Are you able to get as smooth gameplay with metro 2033 and Crysis 3 running SLI as without? I love that you mention this because I tried these two titles for SLI. Both give stutters though similar but perhaps not quite as bad as in rFactor 2. In metro I can get almost a 100 % performance increase but due to the stutter it feels less smooth then running without with framerates dipping to 25 in very rare occasions.

16. Patterik

Patterik Registered

Make sure you use 0x82482005 for sli compatibility bits in NVidia inspector. Helped quite a bit with my 690.

17. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Yeah, Metro and Crysis run smoothly with SLI on, not noticiable stuttering at all. Nothing special in my configs tough... Try to restore the default Nvidia CP and fire those games again, I've never experienced problems with them so far.

I'll try the Inspector tip by Patterik as last resort to rF2.

18. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

Sweet! Another Canadian with a 690 !

Patterick... what fps were you getting before and after the change what did you get...
    Im around 30-60 on start grid with 30 cars visible and about 90-130 in race...
    I havent had any problems really yet but settings in NContPanel make a big diff
    Have you tried vsync (smooth)... amazing image quality?

19. oqvist

oqvist Registered

Metro 2033 and Crysis 3 is certainly playable but they are smoother without SLI. Maybe I miss some magic v-sync setting or inspector setting or whatever so it can be even better though. Far Cry 3 is the game I found where I get a real boost and still getting smooth gameplay. GTL work well also but no performance boost so I wonder if it even runs SLI...

Patrick does that go in DX 11compability as well as SLI compability? It´s for rFactor 2 I suppose or general?

20. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I guess for rFactor1, GPL, GTR2, RaceOn and others, there's no boost using SLI although there's no stutter as well. In this case, it's more valuable to use SLI for Anti-Aliasing, you might chose AAx32 SLI in NVCP, there will be still no boost but you can use the second GPU just for improve visuals.