Build 198 major stuttering in races

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by adaptable1, Apr 5, 2013.

1. adaptable1

adaptable1 Registered

Something drastic changed with build 198. Even with a single monitor (1920x1080) with a Nvidia GTX680, I am getting major stuttering in races with 10 AI cars even with graphics at the lowest setting (no VSync, no multiview...everything low or off). It's especially apparent in the first few corners at Lime Rock.

In previous builds I was able to run surround on, everything on high or full....with VSync, Multiview, etc.

I'm on 314.22 of the graphics drivers. It's really unrace-able at this point. In practice on my own, I can have my usual high settings.

Any suggestions or is this a known issue?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2013
  2. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

No problem here with my GTX670 (one monitor only 1920x1200) with same drivers version and I7, Adaptave Vsync ON, all options at Max, solid 60fps at Lime Rock with 12 AIs, strange. How many fps do you have? I'm expecting higher than me because no vsync and GTX680? Saying that, stuttering can appear even at really high fps if it's due to non smooth fps (E.g. 60->90->80->60, etc.)...If you have more than 60fps try the Vsync ON or the Adaptive Vsync ON (from NVidia panel) to see if it feel better...

3. adaptable1

adaptable1 Registered

I tried Vsync and Adaptive Vsync...and its still stuttering badly. What's weird is that even the gauges in the car go blurry when the stuttering around the curves happens.

My frame rate on a single monitor is around 80 and 68-74 at the stuttering corners (everything on max....much higher if I start lowering the settings).

4. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Vsync (or adaptive vsync) ON should cap your fps to 60 fps, this is not the case?

I gonna make a test without any Vsync to see if I have same behavior...

Edit: Ok, made several laps with 12 AIs (Clios) at Lime Rock in front of me, smooth like butter. I had 89 fps when starting, first curve it goes to 94 fps, fall to 70 as rain started in straitght, raise again as I slow down due to rain (AIs went aways) begin of next laps with 94fps, etc. Always smooth, no stutters at all. With my usual Adaptive Vsync it stay fully at 60fps, so obviously smooth. Sorry, I can't reproduce this behavior...

Edit: Only differences I noted between your computer and mine is: you have a better GFX, better quality RAM, my I7 3770 is OC to 4,4 (your 3750 seems to 3,5), and I use a SoundBlaster Xtrem Xfi sound card instead of the MOBO Realtek HD. I have difficulties to understand anyway why I have better fps than you regarding specifically your GTX680...Did you have the Nvidia 3D turned off? Some reported lack of fps when turned ON even if you don't use it...

5. adaptable1

adaptable1 Registered

Strange... If I restore the default Nvidia settings in the driver and set everything in the game to max... including AA to level 8, the stuttering goes away. My frame rate drops to about 27 but it looks surprising smooth (in 3 monitor surround mode, by the way). Here is the bigger problem.... If I do things to increase the frame rate (shadows medium, AA None, etc), my frame rate goes way up, but the stuttering reappears.

I have 3D off...12 Clios. 5:30pm with HDR on.

When I set adaptive vsync in the driver (it locks the fps to 60 with most settings at their lowest).

Edit: when the frame rate is above 30... there is stuttering in the curves. Below 30... it is smooth, but maybe not as responsive. I kept vsync to adaptive in the driver.

Edit2: Stutter cannot be removed with in single monitor mode (surround off - 1920x1080) even putting all setting on max still yields a 30+ frame rate....even in 3D.

Edit3: Only happens in race mode....whether there are 2 AI cars or 12 AI cars. Does not happen in practice or qualifying.

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Does the same happen on a clean install, with just an ISI car & track and no extra mods/plugins installed?

7. adaptable1

adaptable1 Registered

I've disabled all of the plug-in I use and the same happens. I will try a clean install next.

8. adaptable1

adaptable1 Registered

OK....Uninstalled and cleared out everything...and it seemed to fix it....then I configured my controls and set the head movement to 0% and yaw to -100 and it did it again.... Then set it back to the defaults (yaw 25 head 100) and it goes away. That looks like it was the culprit. Also found some new controls to assign with the reinstall (FOV)!

I'd like to try and minimize some dizzyness.... but other than that, my problems are solved.

FYI...even with lots of eye candy and 3 monitor surround... I'm getting 40-50 fps on the default settings.