Bug with XML and 'Num Race Sessions'

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by henri200, Jan 12, 2012.

1. henri200

henri200 Registered

We found a bug with the 'Num Race Sessions' setting in the PLR file. If it's set over 1, then only 1 driver could race out of 3. Others couldn't press race button. I made a screenshot of it as well. When we had 5 drivers, then 2 could race.

Also there's a problem with result files when some driver has some more specific letter in his name (like õäöü). When somebody has such a letter in his name, the result files will be corrupted. I've provided one example here. As you can see, the XML file is cut after 'Eduard K'. The next letter there should be 'õ'.

In addition, in game chat the names act weird with these same letters. For example when your name is "Käär" then it will show in chatbox as "K r".

Also it would be good if rFactor 2 would support more letters as it would make typing a lot better for a lot of people.

2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

ha! I was curious if charset issue is fixed. Looks it isn't.
    XML file is using utf8 character set. But letters you provide during registration originate from your operating system encoding. Windows still doesn't work with mutlibyte charstets by default. It means, that Western Europe operating systems are using cp1252 charset, Central Europe - cp1250 etc.
    IMO characters should be translated into utf8 during registration,. then provided to the game without charset changing. In that case saved data into XML file would be correct.
    I understand, that it would complicate font support in ISI engine which is based on limited array of images representing single letters. But if product must support multi-language community, there is no other way than to start to work with multibyte character sets

BTW, I reported this issue years ago on rFactor support forums. What is strange, that such bug reports were ignored. I don't believe that there was no time durring 5 years to fix this. :( Why I have still feeling that ISI started to work on rF2 a few months ago expanding rF a bit (and leaving bunch of errors and wrong aproaches) rather than build new engine

Now I'm ready to get answer that it is only beta. Yep.. it is. WIP pictures had looked not too goot also because it was WIPs. And what? current version looks the same as WIPs a year ago.

3. Kalle Lints

Kalle Lints Registered

Because they planing move to JSON then I think maybe they dont want waste time to fix XML and develope working JSON instead? At least I hope so.

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Do you think that moving into another file format will change anything? JSON works also with utf8.
    The issue is not strictly related to current file format but to approach of supporting national characters by product internally.
    Until rF2 will not work with national-wide charset, there will be always issues.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  5. Kalle Lints

Kalle Lints Registered

I know that but still i have little more hope that this will be fixed with new file format then right now with XML. There is ofc change that there will be no diferents at all and this makes this game useless for our league.

6. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Hah, got the same thing but I thought it's just something on my side, with my server settings.