BUG in packaging/installing system when using updates in multicomponents

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by SPASKIS, Nov 9, 2013.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I have found a bug while doing some tests to find the best way to package altogether the update components of each of the 5 vehicle components to be used for an event:

First I created the single update components for each of the 5 vehicle components to open gearbox settings.
    After that, I wanted to include all the updates in one single package to avoid multiple downloads and clicks to the people from my league.

In principle there are several ways to do it. Some of which I didn't know if they would work so I did several trials:

WAY 1. Creating a multicomponent including single updated components + a normal vmod referencing the updated vehicles, track and sounds).

Here is where the error is. After installing the multicomponent all the vehicles appeared updated (nice up to now). However they are not correctly installed despite the multicomponent includes the files. Trying to create the vmod referencing the updated vehicle components having installed the updates via the multicomponent will not show teams in the right sqaure list of the vmod creating screen. This is a little bit tricky when testing since I was the creator of the multicomponent so I had the updates installed for doing so. These first updates were normally installed so if the vmod is created right after that it will correctly show teams. However if the updates are uninstalled right after creating the mlt and this last one is used to update all vehicle with one click, they don't get properly updated although mod manager shows the same as when it worked.

In the same way, if the vmod is created with the properly updated vehicles which are later removed to install them back again via the multicomponent
    the mod appears as installable. However when you try tpo use it, no vehicles are availbale. Therefore multiple updates should not be included in a multicomponent to favour download and install for the people I remind that for leagues, updates are very useful to change small things in cars and tracks. However, we would like the process to be easy for the end user avoiding multiple downloads and clicks for vehicle installation.

WAY 2. Creating a vmod including the updated vehicle components and referencing track and sounds

This is actually the best way to do it and it works fine since it only packs the update comonent of the vehicle.
    I was afraid it would include also non updated content (big size) but gladly it didn't.

WAY 3. Creating a vmod including the updated vehicle components and a vmod referencing updated vehicles, track and sounds

I didn't actually try this but since in Trial 2 it is shown that vmod correctly installs the update (mlt didn't) it seems that it should work as fine but with some extra work that could be worth in case the vehicle wants to be used for other races.

WAY 4. Creating a vmod referencingthe updated vehicle components, track and sounds and single vehicle update components.

This would be the normal way if the updates where to be applied only to one vehicle and maintained throughout a champ. In any case, WAY 3 works the same but with less work for the end user.

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

After investigating a little bit further on the subject....

I confirm that updates as separated components are problematic. They cannot be uninstalled without also uninstalling the original or base component. It does not matter if the base component is referenced by a multicomponent. Only being used by a mod will prevent unistallation of the base components. However when that mod is uninstalled. The component will automatically disappear.
    However if those same updates are included within a vmod containing (not only referencing) the updating component they work fine: if the mod is uninstalled the update is uninstalled as well but base component remains.
    I made a video to explain mod manager and its limitations to the people within my league. It is in spanish but hopefully several things can be seen regardless the language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-gxOLgia8VU

As I say in the video, hopefully someone in ISI speaks spanish and they get to fix this tool.

enviado mediante tapatalk