Brighter BrakeLights & Headlight Spread

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Mitt Wilson, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

I really dont need to elaborate!
    Butfor those that need more elaboration- Brake lights need to be brighter do to people not being able to see them.. :rolleyes: I guess...
    Headlights need to spread more from 1 side to the other and a little further forward.

2. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

the problem I think in the Megane is that the Running Lights and the Brake Lights are reversed... the Bright lights are used as running lights and the brake lights are very dull as the running lights should be. but this is not the game... this is one mod and the decision of those that built this car.

3. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

hmm my first impression of megane tail light and headlights had way too much track reflection during the day to the point the tail lights were reflecting light to the track during the day, is it that the reflection value for day and night on the track is reversed or the mod lights reversed .I havent seen a night race to compare the difference

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
  4. shum94

shum94 Registered

This subject to me is very important. I was so unhappy with PCC 2005 Head & Tail lights in rFactor that i tweaked it. I asked a good texturer (Wardog) to make new ones and the result was quiet remarckable.

I'm glad that i read somewhere that they are not like rF1, it was a texture for the beam itself and another one for the reflection on the track.

However right now i found silly to be able to see in daylight a reflection for the megane for the tail lights
    http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/380/rf21.jpg

And some kind of red texture upward the gmt glow itself. And a stronger differenciation between position lights and braking lights would be nice.

Now at night headlights are no near as good as Iracing and they dont light as much as in real.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But it's a beta, and i think night part of the engine hasnt been worked on much.

I wouldnt close the conversation to only head & tail lights, what i like to see (hopefully everyone would) is dynamic lighting for everything, meaning the track night lights are it seems like in rF1, texture for the glow and a texture for the projection, i would like a system where the engine would handle the beam dynamicly, with the glow lighting less at sundown than full night.

Right now the texture for the projection is a turn off as everything fake is reminding me its not close at 100 % to reality.

Same for pit lights in & out, seems it's a texture system.

Brake discs glow reflection at night, dont know how it is handled. But i want everything dynamic, every lights !

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
  5. sport02

sport02 Registered

I see not far with the headlights of the megane , impossible to run at night for me .
    do you have this problem ?

6. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Ever driven +200kph at night? Don't expect to see a lot with just high beams...

7. sport02

sport02 Registered

no , in game I can see only at only 30 meters arround , it's no realistic

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
  8. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Exactly, even for dipped/low beam range of lights in mod megane is rather low.

It is just how mod is made as it is fairly possible to get more realistic results. Even I have not tweaked fully lights of my dev mode Megane, it is already lot closer to reality, screenshot shows xenon high beam on this page I made:
    http://finnsontrack.weebly.com/lights-rf2-wip.html

rF1 page shows realworld lights and attempts to replicate effect in rF1:
    http://finnsontrack.weebly.com/lights-rf1.html

It is possible to get much more real result if bit more effort it put to replicating illuminated area of what real lights do illuminate, instead of making lights just look nice for screenshots/single situation.

It is then mod maker's responsibility to do that work, there is quite plenty of possibilities offered by engine, you can even have now several headlight spotlight things, I put four to megane so that low/dipped beam is on constantly and I can use h key to switch high beam on and off :)

9. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Lights in rF2 (and rf1 also) are bad-balanced. I can say even lighting at all.
    But there are also some kind of bad expectations from players. Some of us wants to see night scene lit by artificial lights (lamps, headlights) the same as over a day. Very often people complain that headlights (means hi-beams) are too short or/and too narrow.
    I always suggest, go down to your own car, enable headlights and check how far they are make objects lit. Typical high-beams has range about 150m. But if I make headlights working for 150m only, rf1 is almost not drivable at night. It is because lighting model in rF1 is not able to spread light in directions as in real life.

Another thing is, that players want's to have headlights very bright which from physical point of view is unreal but... human eye is able to adapt for low-light level, so lit objects are felt to be brighter then they are. This issue should be simulated by HDR but rF1 doesn't have one. rF2 is not tuned up yet. Moreover if rf2 developers will left possibility of creating separate hdr profiles for each track, it will always be a problem more or less.

And the last thing the question (but maybe I should ask it at beginning): do you switch lighting in your room off while checking night scene?

best regards

10. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I prefer measuring lit area, much easier than subjectively trying to guess :)

150m is something that I would double, at least with my car and light setup, reflectors shiny up from 1km mark and that is something what rF tracks could perhaps use more, properly set up reflectors?

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

1km in real life? c'mon! Maybe.... high-reflective badges.

But yes, light travels, reflects and came back for longer distance. However for safety reason is directed down, to limit blinding other drivers. So what you can see is rather reflected and diffused light. So I can agree that seting lights to 150m is too less. But I rather cannot agree with 1km ;)

Another thing is that racing lights has own specification. But I don't think is more different than "civil" high-beams.

I really hope that lighting will be developed correctly in rF2.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2012
  12. sport02

sport02 Registered

in rf1 I can run , in rf2 I can't even if I cruise at 50 km/h ( 31 mph) I can't see the corner .
    also I am doubting about yours answers and perhaps we have not the same light effet in game

13. jtbo

jtbo Registered

1km from reflectors, around 400-500m road and roadside with my current setup, you can get much longer with pencil lights like this example:
    http://www.rallylights.com/images/74808_Lux.jpg

[​IMG]
    Mine are looking like this at current setup (it is bit over 1km to turn from that point, turn is not really visible), which is set for wide, not maximum range, but problem with taking photo is that if I shoot what I really see at far, near area is purely white. With my other setup I get about double the range, but width is quite lot less.

That difference between photo and reality is because of adaptation of eye, compared to camera and as we must make lights so that we get what we see and not what camera sees, there is some difficulties with current spotlight system, one solution to issue is to use several lights, but optimally software should be such that it does adaptation and lessens near area light a bit.

Some day I might start practice exposure combining which might be solution to making photo of what I really see on road, but it is skill I still need to master.

My driving is mostly at night, so proper night time lighting is something that really interests me, all instruments and such too at interior would be nice to have proper glow etc.

edit: Now this video of mine is then something that looks like similar to what Meganes are, does not show at all what lights really did show, albeit it was rather strong snowstorm on rather poor road, semi is around 100-150m from me when it hits brakes as one no brainer overtakes without any visibility. So for me Megane lights are made so that they show what video shows, not what human eye does see, this is problem with many mods, video is not showing even half. Sorry about horrible soundtrack.
    http://jtbo.pp.fi/images/road_pics/overtaker.avi

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2012
  14. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Night lighting is going to be one of the most difficult things to get right--if we ever can--without 0 lux, 32bpc, true HDR monitors. Unfortunately, our 8bpc, light-leaky LCD screens are pretty terrible at reproducing dark colors--unless you have a $1000+ monitor, and even then, it's more like a band-aid to stop a gunshot wound (bad analogy, but I think you'll get the idea). Simply put, the eye is able to let in a much broader dynamic range than any of our monitors can handle.

Couple this with the fact that a lot of times (if not all of the time) the color we see is not in linear space (and I believe ISI is NOT using a linear color space for display). So a lot more of the information that's stored in those 8 bits per channel is biased toward the brighter range of colors. What this means for the viewer, is that there is less detail in the darker colors.

Until we see truly high-dynamic range displays, I'm doubtful we'd ever really be happy with a night lighting solution.

That being said: it seems to me that the night is not dark enough in rF2 (either that or daytime lighting is not bright enough). Headlights that fall on the road are visible in both day and night lighting in rF2--which is WAY wrong. During the daytime, unless it is overcast, you cannot see headlights on the road (with the exception of some specular reflections). There is definitely something wonky going on with the HDR and exposure.

15. Golly

Golly Registered

View attachment 1581

Dirt 3 did it :) Some of the best night racing I have experienced and driveable.