Brianza track MIA in 60's car mod

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by conticreative, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. conticreative

conticreative Registered

I downloaded the build 90 update and at the same time I downloaded teh new 60's car and brianza mods.
    I first try updating the built, but just like with the last one, in the middle of the installation it stops and stasrts complaining that this or that file cannot be moved,see or what not. OK, I go ahead and download the 400+MB full installation.
    Eventually I get it and I do a fresh install. This time it works fine so I proceed to moving the new mods to the proper folder, I activate them and then I launch rF2 to properly install them.

I click on "install" choose the 60's car and I am all ready to finally test this track, except it's not available.

I get back to the main screen and I click on the Mod Manager (top of the screen) . There I can see brianza clearly listed among the mods. I exit again and still it's not available.

Finally I decide to choose the "All cars and tracks" mod. I choose my car, a Brahbam, and I go to choose my track. Brianza is there (By the way, are we getting a modern version eventually?) I set up a race against other Brabhams and I get on truck to finally drive this track and.... I am driving a Maserati GT car I installed yesterday instead of the Single seat vintage car.

I don;t know what is going on, but in that amount of time I could have launched HistoryX and driven some really well done vintage car on the track of my choice. Including Brianza.

In conclusion, I still cannot race Brianza in rF2 with the 60's cars. But what really infuriates me is not this minor mishap. Stuff happens. What really makes me mad is the fact that ISI imposed this draconian mod managing system that forces the creation of a mod for every single car/track combination. Already, with just a smattering of mods available from the likes of DrivingItalia and RaceDepartment, my rF2 is clogged with mods, some of which don't work or don't work properly and when I go online I still don't seem to have the one I need for the specific race I want to join.

I have already bought rF2 and I am not going to ask for a refund because so far I like the driving, but when my league is going to sit down and decide on a mod to take the place of GTR2, rF2 won't get my vote unless this mod issue has been resolved.
    That's possible dozens of licenses that won't be sold.

For now, I'd be happy to be able to race at Monza. But the more I experience this modding system the more I dislike it.

2. schuee

schuee Registered

+1 Totally agree(did the same as you)

3. conticreative

conticreative Registered

Rants aside, what do I have to do to race the historic F1 at Brianza without choosing the all tracks and cars?

And just academically speaking, has anyone checked out the available online races at Monza? There are 5 presently. 5 Servers available I mean. This is the day the new mod came out mind you.

There are 5 servers, not 1 single user online and as far as I am concerned, I cannot join any of them because apparently my mod is not good enough (in fairness, a couple of the servers use a homespun mod).

I guarantee that if this was rFactor 1 and a new mod with a new track came out, there would be at least 50 users racing online.

4. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Rants aside? Where?

Mate, if you'd only taken the time to read the forum a bit, all your questions have been answered.

Birianza was made a separate download by design. It wasn't meant to be included in the 60's on purpose.

The whole point of this beta is to test stuff and report bugs. If you want a bug-free game that you can just load up and drive without issue, then this isn't for you.

As far as online servers go: If it's a mod you don't have, just click "get mod" and it will download and install for you. If it can't be installed, it tells you exactly what you are missing (usually tracks) and it even tells you what version you're missing. It could not be simpler.

If this were a final release game, then I can understand your posts. But this is a beta. You paid to find and report bugs - not complain that there are bugs.

So why don't you just phrase your posts in the form of questions instead of rants. There are many of us who would be glad to help :)

But none of us really care to read your rants and complaints about a beta - especially when most of your complaints are because you didn't take any time it seems to inform yourself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
  5. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

6. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

No offense, but I found it really quite easy to install.

• Download the file to my Package folder
    • Open rF2 launcher and select Manage Mods
    • Click on Option and select "Show Mods Only"
    • Right-click on Brianza and install the track

[​IMG]

7. +1 ! Really easy to install!
    Right click, install + update if available... ;)

8. conticreative

conticreative Registered

OK, I guess I overreacted on the Brianza track. However, I don;t need any lectures on the "beta" nature of rFactor. I have made the same argument to others before. I am aware of how it works. I do not expect final release level features.

The brianza track was advertised on news sites yesterday along with the new built and with a new version of the 60's mod.

Now, since the 60's mod is, well, 60's cars and it only lists 60's tracks and brianza is actually missing any modern version, it's not inconceivable that a bunch of people assumed that in order to race at the Brianza track one had to use the 60's mod.

in fact, even without the wording used in the news site when I and others downloaded the updates we were confused that Brianza was nowhere to be found.
    I actually work in a business where we also distribute packages and release new software and if ISI asked me I could have told them ahead of time that releasing these updated togehter would confuse users expecting to use brianza with the other 2 vintage tracks.

But beside my mistaken expectation, once again rF2 did not install properly for me and I had to install a fresh full installation. This is now the second straight time that when installing the update it generates an error and aborts the installation.

But regardless of the update system (which, if it worked would be really good) and the Brianza debacle (and let's forget also the fact that I found myself driving a 2012 Maserati along with the Brahbams in 1963), I remain irritated at ISI modding distribution system.

having to create a mod for every mod/track combo is a cumbersome system that in practice has already has created few advantages and many disadvantages.

I only have the stock ISI mods, 1 from drivingitalis (the maserati) and I tried installing the few mods RaceDepartment released to organize their rf2 club races. Out of 4 or 5 mods, 2 have never worked and already choosing the right mod/track in single player is confusing sand less than ideal. If I inventory my rF1 mods and tracks and extrapolate how many mods I would need to race even just 10% of the possible combinations I come up with hundreds of empty mods littering my installation.

In my opinion, tracks should be available to every mod unless the mod creator has a specific need and wants to create a league mod with only specific tracks. Everything else can stay the same, but I find it supremely irritating to have to choose all cars/tracks if I want to test a newly released track. it's silly and wasteful.

Lastly, the system could use a "read me" that one can see in SP and MP so that mod creators can alert users of any specific instructions/requirements that may be available. Had I read "Brianza is not included in 60's mod" I would have saved myself a lot of grief and effort, not to mention the scorn of the forum denizens that never make a mistake or misunderstand anything.

9. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

1. Yes, just about ALL of us thought Brianza would be in the 60's series. A quick search of the forum would have shown you the threads about it.

2. You did not uninstall your user mod (Maserati) before trying to update.

It's pretty important that you uninstall any user mods before updating to a new build.

Many mods need to be updated to work properly with a new build. (Just like XD for Race07. Stops working after every update until the author updates the mod).

I'm not trying to be a dick here, I'm trying to answer you questions and tell you why your update went wrong and why you were driving a tin top when you wanted an open wheel.

It's obvious (to me) the user mod borked your update.

3. The mod packaging system is work in progress. What we have now may not be what we have at release.

Here is a great thread about the mod packaging system - user's concerns as well as modder's concerns along with feedback from ISI and Gjon on the system:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/5872-Freedom-of-will

4. Next time just ask a question mate. Like I said earlier, many of us are willing to help. This not the last time you're going to have issues.

10. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

The bit in bold solved my problems, cheers.

11. anthonyl

anthonyl Registered

I would like to ask a question here about this if I may.... someone recently release the Montreal track for RF2.. so I installed it. Its works fine when I select 'All cars and tracks" however if I choose "Formula Masters or the Formula 2 mod..the track does not show up? Is this supposed to happen?

12. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Every car series in rF2 has a list of tracks attached to it. The list is defined in the rfm file of the mod. However, you can build your own series and attach all all tracks you like.

Check this video: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1573-Modding-Downloads?p=24546&viewfull=1#post24546

You will find the Mas utility (MAS2.exe) at "rF2datafolder\Support\Tools".

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Rather not dig up a thread starting with a rant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.