BRAKE issues in the New GT3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lavinia, Feb 9, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Andregee

Andregee Registered

My impression of the GT3 is that the complete physics was more or less fiddled together without any real basis.
    Before the current bop, for example, the Aston Martin was a disaster where the standard setup already required the highest spring rates in the front and the lowest in the rear so that the car does not constantly break out with the rear. Now they have introduced softer springs in the rear with the bop, which makes it better, but it shows there is more try and error than really using a healthy base, as the current Audi R8 shows, because it is even worse than the Aston Martin before. No idea how you can make a bop on this basis at all, if you have to bend the setup again to the limit, so that the car becomes drivable at all.
    If you then still see how the wheels drag on the body of the Corvette, you also know that the data of wheelbase are rather dubious, in the M6 was the rear axle more than a year completely out of place and the rebound of the dampers had virtually no function.
    I quickly noticed the differences in the brakes, too. You can hardly get the Aston Martin to lock without ABS, for example, but other vehicles very easily. Either the braking force is so different or the grip level but no matter what it is, one may doubt a halfway reasonable implementation of the driving physics.

Patrick Schindler, Lavinia and SnZX like this.
  2. Comante

Comante Registered

It seems it's not me that has problem understanding the meaning of a written text, and what I have to say about your "tests" is that they have 0 value because that's not how tests should be done.

3. Lavinia

Lavinia Registered

I totaly agree for your opinion. I thought I was the only one who felt it, but glad I wasn't.
    I also experienced the funny ride height changes due to load transfer and the AMG's rear end during the previous BOP. I never drove the M6 to check the problem myself, but I had heard that it was strange because a friend of mine liked to drive it. My knowledge of what set-up assumptions apply to the BOP is lacking, but I feel that if the physics are sound, there is no need to make dire set-up assumptions. So there are still problems with the GT3.
    When I first drove the AMG I thought the braking pressure would be different from other cars, but it's still the same at 80kgf. When I decreased it, the braking force was reduced and couldn't be stoped but still locked up.
    I drove it again today and in the end I felt it was best to ignore the lock-up and reduce the rear wing to prevent the load from shifting to the rear. With a normal car-like set-up, I don't lose any traction at all and the front tyres end up right away. It feels totally out of touch with reality...
    I've driven other cars and they are different enough to say that out laps alone are enough to tell the difference, the AMG is understeering with the front tyres dying easily no matter what set up you have, so the most likely cause is not braking power but the grip level.

4. Lavinia

Lavinia Registered

So may I ask you to actually do what it should be like? Or do you not brake 100% of the time on slow corner turn-ins lol?
    Unfortunately it seems you need to read the text again, you have read the reply but not the post yet. It's not a matter of game specs, pedals or setup. If you really think that a GT3 with ABS on, braking with the straight and locking up at 180 km/h is correct, then you should go back even 50 years ago. In this game we are dealing with modern cars that in reality do not have ABS activation or lock-up even in a 60 km/h hairpin.

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

When you say your brakes lock up, can you then see smoke from the tires with an exterior camera? If you are just seeing the ABS lights flash, that is normal behavior, indicating the ABS is PREVENTING lockup. Tire smoke & flat spots would be the result of true brake lockup.

6. Lavinia

Lavinia Registered

I don't know. I didn't even think to watch the replay as it is clearly a lock-up feeling. It's not a big lock-up, so on the HUD you can only see the tyres heating up unnaturally, causing understeer and confirming the feeling of a small flat spot from the FFB. Tyre smoke may not be visible. The flat-spot feedback is really small and does not interfere with the driving.
    Also, I don't think that light mounted in a completely fake position is an ABS light - it comes on when you lock up, regardless of whether ABS is on or off; as for the TC light... I didn't look at it carefully, so I'm not sure.

avenger82 and davehenrie like this.
  7. SnZX

SnZX Registered

I know the owner of the thread, and I have tried many things in the last few days. I can't speak for all cars, but I question the brakes more than a few. I've also driven around in cars with multiple people, and I think there is a difference between each type of car. The tire models are great and this game is my #1 favorite. That is one of the reasons I am questioning it now. (Everyone I know who has played it uses Fanatec. We are not using cheap devices.)

8. jual

jual Registered

Maybe you a right, but do you really think that S397 have hired each GT3 cars compared the behavior on race track with theirs sim ?
    Consider its more a game that gives you a approach or kind of illusion not the real car itself.

avenger82 likes this.
  9. Lavinia

Lavinia Registered

You are right, that is certainly one way of thinking about it. But then, what exactly is a simulation? It is certainly an impossible task to test with a real car and say that the game car should be exactly the same as that. However, I think there is a line in the differences that cannot be compromised. For example, the kerbs are very slippery in ACC, and real racing drivers say the same thing, but we can compromise and accept that that's the way it is. It restricts the driving line somewhat, but it doesn't affect the experience except in certain cases. But in this game... after I press the brake pedal, just watching videos of real cars on YouTube, I feel sad: 'Oh, what the hell am I driving?

10. SteveMack

SteveMack Registered

I know this is an old post, have you had any luck, I have been farting around with these brakes for a long time and they are still a nightmare, the whole race constantly worried about hitting the brakes just a tad too hard.