brake feel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maxspeed, May 27, 2013.

1. maxspeed

maxspeed Registered

thanks hectari it works... I guess it time to take the training wheel off.

2. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

The major problem (for me) it's not only locking wheels, but to lock the rear wheels, whatever be the brake balance set. It's so so seldom to see any race car braking the rear wheels but in RF1 / RF2 I see all the time.

3. Michael Borda

Michael Borda Car Team

You may have your brake bias too far forward, I know it might sound strange to move the bias rearward to prevent the rears from locking, but if you overheat the front brakes, going to further forward bias may actually be causing you to lock the rears. If you watch F1, remember Kimi's radio message from Barcelona? His engineer told him to move his bias rearward to stop the rears locking.

4. Minibull

Minibull Member

I've never really had too many issues with rear brake locking. Try having a tweak with the brake map setting, which is an engine braking control. Can help keep the rear end a bit more stable under braking.
    Other than that, a lot of it is just practicing with a single car, until you can really get digressive braking sorted/getting the max possible braking force at whatever speed you are doing. Max braking at high speed as soon as you lift off the throttle, and then getting the feel for lifting off the brake as you slow down and aero forces drop. Expect a bit of smoke while practicing XD

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I hear about it often, but I rarely see it. One of those things that happens, or can be happening, that we viewers dont see much, except for when they lock them really bad.

Ive seen a ton of races/sessions where drivers complained of rear lock up but when I was watching on TV I didnt really see anything.

Definitely makes sense, the further heating of the fronts allows them to brake even harder, which in turn will make the nose dive forward even more, which would make the rear higher/lighter, hence locking rears.

If this happens though, it seems to be an issue with suspension setup, and is only being "hidden" by the brake balance change. Not 100% sure though, this entire scenario (moving brake bias to rear to help stop rear locking) is probably VERY rare

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think it's more temperature related. As the front brakes get very hot (because of forward bias) they lose effectiveness, so the rears actually do more braking and lock up first.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I don't think that matters because the braking force of the rears wouldn't change.

Edit: Now that I thought about it more, I think I get what you are saying. If the driver starts pressing the brake pedal much more than normal due to the fronts not working good, then he'll be applying much more rear braking than normal, since he's pressing the brake pedal more than normal, and the rear brakes are working just fine, hence the rears locking up.

8. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Yeeah, is a very common mistake when people put brake bias ahead thinking It will help to avoid rear locks :D

9. Esteve Rueda

Esteve Rueda Registered

Here a video of last race hotlap in Poznan with last FR3.5 version... this guy has 95-100% of brake pressure, see how he brakes.

Only an example, he is not the fastest driver in my league ha had the fastest lap due he had to stop because he destroyed the tyres, despite of that he only block one time in this lap and can be used as example. Some drivers can drive faster with any block in entire stints (the winner didn't stopped in 45 minutes of race).

I can't get his setup, but I think brake bias is around 55:45