SOLVED Bought the game and crashing after splash screen

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by ZeMangoFur, Sep 30, 2023.

1. ZeMangoFur

ZeMangoFur Registered

Hey so i just bought this game and i tried to run it with some mods, and it showed the splash screen for like 1-2 seconds and then it crashed i also tried without mods, I also tried to use some forum threads but nothing worked and the same is with the steam verify integrity.

2. ZeMangoFur

ZeMangoFur Registered

Nevermind i got it fixed, my windows antivirus blocked rFactor from accessing my documents for some reason but i got a new error, it crashes after it says insufficient video memory detected altough i press yes to continue anyway

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I'm guessing you have a laptop, due to the insufficient memory error. Depending upon the brand, you may be able to dedicate more of your system memory to video ram. rF2 uses A LOT of Vram. Also try reducing graphics to the bare minimum, at least to begin with. (also reduce the number of sounds from 255 to 64 or even 32.)

4. ZeMangoFur

ZeMangoFur Registered

I do have a laptop but i've got no idea on how to give it more vram and when i try to save the video setting they just reset for some reason

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

We used to all think the same thing, that the settings were getting reset. But was disproved long ago.
    If possible, can you post the specs of your laptop? What cpu/brand/onboard video and system ram?

6. ZeMangoFur

ZeMangoFur Registered

Intel i5 7200U/(If you mean laptop brand it's HP)/Intel HD Graphics 620(i know that i won't get any good performance with this but i still wanna try) and i got 8gb of ram. So i just also noticed it says windows 8 build 9200 although i got windows 10 in the graphics settings of rF2

Last edited: Sep 30, 2023
  7. ZeMangoFur

ZeMangoFur Registered

View attachment upload_2023-10-1_0-29-5.png
    I tried to dedicate more vram but it didn't work and according to some sources some companies lock it so that i cannot increase it, but i don't know if it'll be the same here or not

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sounds like you aren't on the latest build. Opt out of any betas in steam. Or are you deliberately running an old build?

9. ZeMangoFur

ZeMangoFur Registered

I actually was on an older build because i thought that could've fixed my launching problem but i forgot to change it back, and i'm pretty sure my settings are not saving because when i start, the resolution immediately changes to a completely different one and it starts in fullscreen instead of windowed

Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Are you running the config via the menu after pressing PLAY in steam? Can you show a screenshot of it, just to check the file it's saving to is located correctly?

11. ZeMangoFur

ZeMangoFur Registered

If i press play i press on "rFactor 2 Graphics Configuration", but after i press save and try to run the game it changes to the lowest resolution and fullscreen instead of windowed(in the screenshot you can see it didn't save to windowed and also for some reason it says that the res is 1920 x 1080 but when i start the game it's at 400 x 300)
    View attachment upload_2023-10-1_2-20-47.png

Attached Files:

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, folder looks fine. Do you have an option to select your GPU rather than Auto?

@ZeMangoFur oops - why "VR mirror" is ticked? You're running on a screen, right?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2023
  13. ZeMangoFur

ZeMangoFur Registered

I am but as i said when i press save it doesn't save neither of those it just reverts back and i can confirm that by looking in the config file that it didn't save anything