Bottoming out - sound effect or something?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Digi Lauda, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Digi Lauda

Digi Lauda Registered

Maybe that´s a nooby question, because i´m not really much experienced in real simracing. But i remember, many years ago i had a F1 Game where i could clearly hear when the bottom plate was scratching over the tarmac, so i knew at once that i have to increase ride height, stiffen the springs or something.
    In rf2 FISI there seem to be effects in the FFB when the suspension or car is bottoming out, but not really something that makes me feel i can adjust my ride height to the optimum.
    Is the soundeffect simply missing in this state of the game or do i have to use other indicators?

thx
    digi

2. Digi Lauda

Digi Lauda Registered

Hi again,

yesterday i have installed this Motec thing to optimize my Formula ISI Car and again it is the rideheight where i found something strange.

Seems like the higher the rideheight is set in the cars setup the lower it will be at high speed at the rear of the car.
    See attached motec screenie! The coloured lines show the rideheight when set to max in Setup and black ones at minmum value.
    The Packers are the same btw.
    I´m not sure if there is something wrong, maybe someone can explain this behavior.........

[​IMG]

Oh, the picture hoster is german, click on "Vergrössern"! :)

digi

3. canastos

canastos Registered

About the first post, I think it's not yet done that sound

And about the second, I see something strange (even when I haven't tried FISI so much), and it's the values for rear height, negative?
    With min values, you seem to be scratching the ground when at high speed, but with the "max values", it's like you're digging a hole with that rear :eek:

byyyyyyyyye

4. Digi Lauda

Digi Lauda Registered

I´ve read somewhere that small negative values for ride height in motec can be normal due to predictive calculations or something.
    Dont know if -6 is too much......
    But anyway, i can solve this by renaming my nick to Digger Lauda :rolleyes:

digi

5. canastos

canastos Registered

All right then, Digger Lauda ;)

byyyyyyyyye

PS: let's wait someone else gives us a clue about that Motec's height graphics

6. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I'd really like a loud sound when the car bottoms out. I don't know if in a real car they can hear it, but they damn sure can feel it but since we can't feel it, to be able to hear it would really help with car setup. Sometimes a tiny bit of realism has to be sacrificed for the game and our limitations on the this side of the monitor.

7. osella

osella Registered

Agree, that's also why I prefer very loud tire sounds on all cars, it is not realistic say on modern GTs where the tyres are generally quiet but it helps me tremendously to feel the limit, in real cars they feel it with their butts which is even better than sound so why not.
    I almost can't drive a car with no tyre sounds in sim.

8. Digi Lauda

Digi Lauda Registered

Just to remind you, i also want to know if the behaviour of the ride height ist normal ( higher in Setup = lower on Track at high Speeds)!
    I´m aware that this is a Beta and it´s ok when there is a Bug, i just want to know!

thx

digi

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2012
  9. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Lack of sound when bottoming out is a bit of a pain, especially when in replays you also can't tell about bottoming out.