Bodnar SimSteering2 Problem

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by peanutslab, Apr 21, 2021.

1. peanutslab

peanutslab Registered

Hi all,

I have a new Leo Bodnar SS2 Ultimate, and I can't get it working in RF2. I use the preset for the wheel in RF2 and when the track launches, the wheel aggressively moves to centre, and it's then practically impossible to turn. I've also tried other wheel types and can't get it to stop it doing it. Tried, Wheel, Joystick etc, all the settings in RF2 and nothing, just locks up hard during load and cannot turn the wheel. Wheel works fine on all my other titles. Any ideas?

I have the Bodnar driver (3.9) set as per all the other sims, 1080 wheel angle, All effects 100%.

Thanks

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

In the calibration screen, if you move the wheel from lock to lock does the steering graph show that movement properly?

Can you show a screenshot of the controls settings in rF2?

3. peanutslab

peanutslab Registered

Yes I can see the steering move fine. upload_2021-4-21_22-7-5.png
    upload_2021-4-21_22-7-18.png

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@peanutslab Force feedback type joystick? Can you change that to wheel?

5. peanutslab

peanutslab Registered

Already tried that, none of the settings make any difference to the wheel locking up solid when you load the track.

6. peanutslab

peanutslab Registered

The SimSteering2 profile sets it that way btw

7. rand777

rand777 Registered

I have a Bodnar SS2 that I've been using with RF2 since last year. I seem to recall there was a PDF file on the Bodnar website that had recommended settings for RF2 which I used. I calibrated the wheel using their SS2 software first and in RF2 clicked on Wheel/Left & Wheel/Right under controls and turned the wheel full left and right respectively. Check in the Bodnar driver software if the wheel moves as expected on screen. Lastly, once that all worked I remember having to edit the config file to get the onscreen wheel to move at the same rate as the wheel based on a thread from either here or racedepartment. Hope that helps!

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry, didn't spot you mentioning that in the first post.

Is it possible the force is simply stronger than you're expecting? Have you tried getting the car moving to reduce the force required to turn the wheel?

I'm not sure what you're used to, but my T500 with 4Nm peak can seem hard to turn at rest on a 0.70 FFB Mult. Your 26Nm and 0.36 Mult will be much, much harder.

(Note there's a controller.json setting to adjust the at-rest FFB, I tend to turn mine up since I have a relatively weak wheel, if applicable you may want to turn yours down...)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  9. peanutslab

peanutslab Registered

Hi, firstly the wheel moves totally normally in the setup screens and is adjusted correctly. When you start a race, the wheel locks, hard, and the you cannot move it. This isn't a case of the steering is too heavy, this is that the wheel is imposible to move more than 2-3 degrees at most. There is no way anyone could turn this wheel. It is possible that it could be applying full torque, and that's why I think there's possibly a bug somewhere. I see there is a new patch for the firmware so will give that a go and try the controller.json and post back if that doesn't fix the problem. Thanks for the help both!

10. peanutslab

peanutslab Registered

Ok I've got it working, basically the All effects scale in the Bodnar driver needs to be c. 50-60 pc rather that the 100 pc other games run at. I messed around with the Json and nothing seemed to make any effect on the wheel. Even the FFB strength is set at 2.5nm in the json but the wheel is 26nm. The rest of the settings are per the Bodnar PDF on iRacing. No reference files on the Bodnar site for RF2.

So what was happening I think is that the wheel went to full 26nm in the game. 50 pc I assume is therefore 13nm. I've only tried this on the pro-sim karts and set wheel rotation at 186 degrees. Will give it a try with some other cars tomorrow but is feeling pretty good. I'm running 53 pc at the moment. Feedback itself isn't super detailed but feels fluid and accurate.

11. peanutslab

peanutslab Registered

My Bodnar driver

upload_2021-4-22_22-30-31.png

12. peanutslab

peanutslab Registered

RF2 settings for KartSim Pro

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-22 at 21.33.09.jpeg

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Set the JSON to 26. Then the game will automatically reduce the force for cars that produce lower forces.

14. peanutslab

peanutslab Registered

I did and it doesn't work, none of the changes in the JSON alter the FFB. Basically I have to change each car via the Bodnar driver to make anything happen, I tried a different car and it was unplayable set the same as the Kart (obv changed the steering angles). Looking at the file it appears generic not tailored to SimSteering2 despite being named that. The only thing I feel an effect from is the Car specific multiplier in the RF2 interface. Certainly can't hop from one car to another.

15. peanutslab

peanutslab Registered

As an example any minor change I make to FFB in Dirt Rally 2 is immediately noticeable in the FFB on the Bodnar wheel.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@peanutslab I think you might be editing the wrong file. It can be confusing.

Many people save a custom profile, edit that, and load it in the game afterwards. You should only need to load it once after making changes. If you make later changes within the game you'll need to save to that profile again I think.

When doing this, the "current" settings are in the controller.json in the player folder.

So your other option is to only edit that controller.json file, and don't load or save profiles in the game. Simpler, but on the downside you don't have a custom file with all your settings if the game's json files get corrupted (does sometimes happen...).

Setting the wheel strength to something ridiculous like 150Nm in the file will make all cars feel weak so that's an option to check if it's working.

It can take some figuring out to get rF2 working right, but you definitely should be able to get it scaling forces down to suit the current car, and have the steering lock also auto adjusting. Until then it will be a bit messy...

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I have a bodnar S2
    Was happy to see it in the Rfactor2 options but incredibly did not work

had to manually calibrate & rf2 only picked it up in the very last mm of rotation

my pal has a OSW which also wouldn’t work (after simply selecting in options ) & he just have up on Rfactor2 all together & re-subbed to iracing

wish all this would get sorted

Lazza likes this.
  18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

When you do get it working try
    turn off damping , all the effects
    Power at 90%. Then adjust in the sim accordantly

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The wheel profiles are almost like false advertising - nothing else in rF2 happens automatically, and often even the wheel profiles themselves don't work correctly :p

A hardcore sim should have a feature like the wheel strength setting (which is a definite feature, when set correctly) exposed in the UI. Along with many other things. A range of wheels and different best use settings can hardly be a surprise.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  20. rand777

rand777 Registered

I'll post a screenshot of my settings when I'm on my rig next time. I set All Effects to 100% and then in RF2 generally set the FFB multiplier for a car to between 0.35 to 0.65 depending on the car which adjusts the strength accordingly. Once I set it for a car RF2 remembers it via its config file and I've never had to adjust it further since I first setup the game.