Bloom effect

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mikeyk1985, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Hi all,

Haven't had chance to try out the new build of rF2, so my question is does the bloom effect look good? It looks amazing in Flight Simulator X when you tilt the wings the sun glints off the wings. Do we have a similar effect?

2. baked bean

baked bean Registered

I think its only on in dev mode mate.

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Sorry to interrupt, but I see a lot of "bloom"questions lately and ask myself; what IS bloom?? :)

4. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Thanks for the explanation.
    Thought the demoed was just for developers and I am not (no knowledge whatsoever there :) ) but I will try it out, just curious.

6. Cristian Why

Cristian Why Registered

i tried the bloom in dev mode but i dont see anything , someone should make a screenshot with and without bloom

7. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Yeah that would be good Christian. I look forward to it in game for real so to speak ;)

8. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Just a little example, using 4 different bloom offset settings (right click open for full res image);

[​IMG]

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

impressive!!!

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm sure it worked befor build 90

....it's been switched off (or only dev mode) untill another build"

11. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

Tuttle - try turning Offset (bad name, should be 'Intensity') up to about 2.0, then dial up the Threshold to about 3.0 - 4.0 until just the sun is bloomed. It punches through little openings in trees and fences quite nicely.

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

bloom is impressive, what happened to monaco tunnel?
    As much I thought it was exxagereted its the opposite now :(

13. Tuttle

Yeah I know! But you need to turn down the White Point in the HDR near to 2.0 to avoid the range cut in the low/highlight knee.

BTW...I'll make some shots with your settings too...;)

14. blanes

blanes Registered

Can we try that in game ? pls tell how to get to that screen that Tuttles is operating. thanks :)

15. Tuttle

Here we go;

HDR White point turned down to 2.52 to avoid the hard cut between low/highlight.

[​IMG]

BTW there are a lot of possibilities, using different HDR settings and a correct time to time setup in the HDR profile (where you can set up a specif Bloom setting per every time of the day)...

So...you can get just the sun punch for 8AM/7PM...and a clean HDR (with no bloom or almost zero) for the rest of the day...etc, etc, etc...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012
  16. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Looks good. I presume this will impact on gfx performance?

17. magog

magog Registered

Please Tuttle,could you explain,how can I create my own hdr profile? I can set all postFX in devmode,but when i click on "save profile"...nothing happen. I cannot find any *.hdp file in my comp. Thanks

18. Tuttle

Well..first of all, consider that ISIs is still working hard on that area...so do not spend to much energies on this as you can get huge differences in next future builds..:)

BTW, open a new text file and save it into your main track folder (the same with SCN, GDB etc...) with the .HDP extension. The name should be a stuff like this (for sunny weather) YOURTRACKNAMEREALISTIC_CLEAR.HDP

Open the devmode and from the postfx menu load your empty profile. DO NOT run the profile, as you have to save your elements into your file...and if you are working in "ON" mode the file will be locked in Ready Mode only.

Now the best thing to do is to setup an element for every time of the daylight zone but to understand how it works I suggest you to start with 3/4 elements like this;

0 - 8AM
    1 - 13PM
    2 - 8PM

So change your daytime at 8:00AM and set your values. When you're happy press "save current" and "save profile".

Now press ADD ELEMENT (should be change in "1") and move your daytime to 13:00PM. Set your values....save current and save profile.

Same stuff for the next element at 8:00PM.

Now, after you saved your profile, try to open it with the Notepad (I suggest you to use Notepad ++) and take a look at the file. You've to find 3 elements with your settings. If it is...you've understood how to proceed with basics...and now you've just to work with HDR parameters a little bit to find the right way to proceed...

Remember you've to re-load the profile and press "ON" every time you start the track into devmode...'cause at this moment the track do not auto-load its own standard profile.

Test your profile...You've to see time to time values transitions when you're moving throught different times of the day (elements values linear interpolation)

So the main basic rules are;

Load the profile;
    OFF status for edit the profile (Write mode)
    On status for read/use/test the profile (Read mode)

Take attention when you edit your elements. Make a backup of your HDP everytime you're working on it..:)

Good Luck! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2012
  19. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Level 1 good
    Level 2 better
    Level 3 WOW very good, infact awesome
    Level 4 Annnnd everything goes to ****s as the game looks like your in a magical dream with everything glowing lol

20. Tuttle

I'm not a big fan of the Bloom FX, no...not at all...but using very very very VERY small values just for some parts of the day could be a fine touch..:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.