Blocky shadows

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by SCampbell, Dec 29, 2012.

1. SCampbell

SCampbell Registered

This may be something that was previously mentioned, but sometimes I'm noticing that the shadows appear like rectangles when cast onto objects such as armco barriers.

Anyone else notice this or have a remedy?

2. SCampbell

SCampbell Registered

Seems to be better when I turn the shadow blur up from fast to quality. Another thing I'm noticing is that it seems that objects drawn in the distance are quite blurry, and there usually is a clear dividing line which you can notice where things become sharp versus fuzzy. You can follow the armco and see a line where it goes from being fuzzy to being crisp. I really didn't notice that as much in rF1.

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Do you have these blocky shadows on all tracks?

Maybe it helps when you delete the contents of the shader cache. Go to "rFactor2DataFolder\UserData\Log\Shaders" and delete all files. If that doesn't help go to "F:\rFactor2Data\UserData\Log\CBash" and delete all files.

I had those shadows during my toban test after the installation of a new version and one of the above "solutions" (tried both at same time) fixed the problem for me.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Does this sound like texture filtering? Bilinear/trilinear filtering tends to produce 'bands' of varying fuzziness. I'd check your filtering setting, 16x anisotropic is the max I believe, usually little/no performance degradation. Also check your texture quality, though not sure that would give the effect you've described.