Blinkers and rFactor2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by demik, Dec 30, 2013.

1. demik

demik Registered

Hello,

One of the features I liked the most in LFS was blinker lights. It's very useful when you are racing in multi class races to tell the faster class than "it's ok I saw you, you can overtake now", or when you are slower than expected (with hazards), for example because of broken parts on the car.

The idea is that the slower car indicate the side of the track they will stay on with their blinkers.

Also, in some series it's not allowed to talk during races, leaving with no way to communicate with other drivers. Saturday they was a 5 cars pileup during an one hour race, because drivers of different classes didn't understand each other.

In my local auto club, we do like this during track days, some people do it on Nürburgring too.

Heck, I'm even doing this on road when a crazy biker want to overtake like a madman and most of them seems to understand the meaning.

Is this planed at some point (low priority I presume) ?

2. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Hold your line. ;)

3. cubbi

cubbi Registered

Would be a great feature for races at the Nordschleife (VLN does this in real life) but I doubt it's a priority for ISI at all :D

Would something like this be moddable? (If so the next step would be to persuade modders to include such a feature, which will be difficult unless they do a streetcar or VLN mod)

4. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

i already dont have enought of buttons on my Driving Force pro, dont miss indicators :)

5. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Hmm... Seems kind of weird to me. Which vehicles (if any) in RF2 should have blinkers? I agree it might be relevant since stock street cars have them, but do any real race cars have blinkers?

6. demik

demik Registered

I agree with you, however some drivers interprets that as not respecting blue flag... I guess you can't please everybody.

7. demik

demik Registered

Well that depends on which series you race I guess :) I mostly run touring cars, so it isn't that weird :)

That aside, you raise a good question :confused:
    Of course it's only relevant to cars that have them in real life !

Some series requires that the car should be street legal so they have them. For example, most Group N rally cars have them. Lots of GT cars have stock head/tail lights, but as the interior is stripped out, they don't have the blinkers switches anymore.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

BTCC, DTM, V8Supercars, Clios, Porsche Carrera Cup.......the list is endless really!

9. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Use of indicators (blinkers) is different in the BTCC isn't it? I believe drivers indicate in the direction they want the following car to pass them, so indicate right means pass me on the right.

Hope I haven't just made that up!

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah and Entering Pits too, was just stating that lots of race series have indicators/blinkers but dont think many of them have the rule they MUST be used for overtaking for example, maybe Class racing might but if anything they're used in the ones I mentioned as a forewarning or whatever.

11. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I've seen it in real life too (Blancpain Endurance Series, spa 24h). Only GT3 cars, and at least in 2012 there was a ferrari that had it's indicator broken I think: it was on both during qually, and race.

Also, I've seen multiple times with endurance races (mainly 'le mans' and 'petit le mans') where stranded cars put their danger lights on, so that other cars could see them. I believe I've seen a retired car on the mulsanne straight (long straight at le mans) had it's light on when the car retired, just so other drivers could see it in advance.

So yes, also in GT (and prototype as well I think, not sure about that one though) you have them :)

12. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Pretty much any GT car has indicators / signals / blinkers / whateveryoucalltheminyourregion. Seems like every year at Le Mans someone drives around for a stint with their turn signal on. lol

13. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

+1 for blinkers!!!

14. coops

coops Banned

load of crap its racing not bloody driving

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

tell the real life racing drivers that then :rolleyes:

16. coops

coops Banned

V8 supercars actually use them when and where ?
    they may have them but don't use them, there is a difference.

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

you've obviously not watched them as much as I have then, again they dont HAVE to use them but they are there to be used if needed.

18. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

Oooh, now that you mention it, I do believe I recall the use of blinkers in SuperGT.

19. Murtaya

Murtaya Registered

You can program in a pass on left/right to your quick chat. Currently the light behaviour is horrible inside the cockpit during the day, last thing we need is the whole cabin lighting up orange as well as bright white when someone has their lights on in the day, even if they are miles behind you.