Black screen for 5 sec in race

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by vittorio, May 8, 2012.

1. Digi Lauda

Digi Lauda Registered

Any News on this matter....niko....... Gary.........?
    Solved with 296.10?

digi

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

it seems problem gone for me digi with 296.10. Perhaps try it?

cheers nikos
    (thnx for calling me the proper way i.e. niko)

3. Digi Lauda

Digi Lauda Registered

296.10 i s currently installed and the problem is not solved for me :-(

The strange thing is that i never had a problem like this before. My system in it´s core is a bit old but has been always rockstable.
    At the Moment i´m playing Risen 2 which i think is even more demanding to the Graphicscard and it shows no problems with stability.
    I´ve also made some testings for stability with several tools, messed with clocksettings and even voltages on my graphics card and can´t find any hint on faulty hardware, overheating or something like that.
    In short, there is a lot of room for hope :-(

digi

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

only thing i can suggest is wait for next rf2 update.
    as i can understand it ll be a big improovement and its coming next or the other week.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Been getting intermittent 5-10 sec blackscreens for the last 5 years with rFactor, had a couple in rF2 with not much running as well. So obviously that covers a whole lot of different nvidia driver versions plus 4 different cards, WinXP, Vista, and Win7. (and that's just for me - I personally know a number of people with similar histories, and there's not a lot of common cards in that mix)

Ultimately it's impossible to know exactly how related these things are to each other (a blackscreen looks like a blackscreen... even if they do have different underlying causes), but I think it's a pretty widespread issue and one that hasn't been conclusively tracked down. You'll usually find someone saying that xyz has fixed it for them, but others don't have the same luck (and often the person with the fix comes back later and says they had another blackscreen anyway).

For what it's worth ATI users seem to avoid blackscreens for the most part (again, some probably get an occasional one, but it comes back to whether it's the 'same' issue or not), but I know a couple who just get a screenfreeze instead. And for most of us this is a rF/rF2 thing... very very rarely, if ever, get this sort of thing in other games.

Yet I'm sure there are people who have never had a blackscreen or freeze. I'm sure ISI would like it to be a more consistent issue as well, so they could track it down and fix it.

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

just wait for a couple of weeks and we ll see...
    next thing to do is post at main forum and wait for ISI to respond.
    Either theyr taking notice and fixing it or theyr just too busy with update.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

You should not have to use NV Inspector at all for rF2

I don't and have perfect graphics, no stutter lag or black screens. I use FXAA/HDR and Vsync

Flickering lines ?

Not much use when ISI does not answer all the MatchMaker not connecting problems.

8. GaryS

GaryS Registered

After updating to 296.10 the problem reappeared for me, at the time I was getting 30+FPS. I tweaked down the settings a little and then got about 40FPS. I have done a couple of offline races and it didnt crash the graphics card.

I cannot remember what exactly I modified apart from turning down the shadows and it is far from conclusive as I have only done a couple of 5 lap races since.

9. Digi Lauda

Digi Lauda Registered

@niko(s) and Gary again,

have you selected "off" for the shadows?

Today i´ve tried this and got no more error since that.
    I know it is a little too early for a final conclusion, but i had the error very often in the last days so i see a little light at the end of the tunnel............and if we have narrowed it down to this setting ISi can have a look into it.

digi

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

yes I have shadows off nowdays cause Monaco was undrivable and it seems it was at that time black screen doesnt happen no more. Im having quite long racing time with no problems. Happy it works for you too.