Black boxes - Really disturbing bug (not seen or reported before)

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by GTrFreak, Dec 4, 2012.

1. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

Hi there guys,

I've seen a lot of bug reports and everytime I discover one, it's already on this forum. Now, it is different.

I installed rF2 b125 two days ago and first the application didn't start at all. I had not driven rF2 in a pretty long time so I did a clean install of b125 and only installed the Skippy. The application started and was working properly until I noticed the flat lighting. I then saw that HDR was turned off so ofcourse that was the reason. So I enabled HDR and went back to a practise session. I drove onto the track when I saw weird black boxes covering up AI cars.

I then tried eliminating this problem by recreating the shaders by changing graphic settings but everything I try, fails to get rid of the problem. I disabled HDR again and gone was the problem, I thought...

Then I discoverd that the lower car-LODS contain a bug. At the left side of every car there's a black face or something (looks like it's maybe inside-out) but with HDR disabled it isn't really disturbing.

When I re-enable HDR those black faces cause big black boxes to appear everywhere on track. I did notice however, they show up when you see the left side of every car. So when you see the right side of the car in front of you, you don't get those boxes.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

My GPU is an ATI HD4850 with 12.6 drivers on it. However, I highly doubt this is hardware related because the bug is so specific.

View attachment 4971 View attachment 4972 View attachment 4973 View attachment 4974

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Set the 'HDR Profile' no 'None' in the settings page, after loading the track.

3. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

Oh wow, I thought I tried every possible combination of settings. Now the black boxes have dissapeared, so that's good.

However, those smaller black faces on the cars are still there. Any idea what's the cause of that problem? Also, does this mean we can't use custom HDR profiles yet?

4. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

You can use custom profiles. It's just that the combination of Realtime Environment Reflections and Bloom (stored in the HDR Profile) cause these black boxes right now. Both the Realistic Clear and Dramatic Clear profiles at Lime Rock include some Bloom. Reverting to the default (None) takes bloom out of the equation.