Black and White/Silhouette Screen Anomalies

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by JRS, Aug 18, 2023.

1. JRS

JRS Registered

This was actually part of a car modding post however, it likely is not related to modding and is more likely some kind of technical glitch.

This just recently started happening. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Any car/track combination can trigger it and then it's a crap shoot to get it resolved.

Here's what was done prior to this screenshot;
    Validate files on Steam, clear cbash and shaders folders, let the sim generate a new player file and then used video config utility to setup display.

Load sim, load TA2 mod and NOLA. No problem. Exit that. Load the 1990 Indycar MOD and the newly updated Toban and this black and white glitch again.
    [​IMG]

Then read that adding or removing mod from the workshop can remedy black screens. Not really this issue but did that. Tried and it didn't change anything. Crap shoot of car/track combinations until maybe it loads properly.

Then, re-validated files on steam, clear cbash and shaders folders. Again, read somewhere (RD?), install/reinstall nvidia driver, clean, don't use the nvidia control panel to set any rF2 options.

Reboot system.

Load rF2, and using the purchased DLC BMW GTE M8 and the newly updated Toban, and immediately this.
    [​IMG]

Again a crap shoot of car/track combination until I get a proper display again.

This has happened to me once before, a few years back with the Howston H4.

Just as this time, I changed/did nothing prior to this, and everything was working fine. Of course there were some windows updates and now the August rF2 update but that's it. The issue with the Howston just went away.

This has been 6 days of trying to resolve.
    Yes, I'll gripe. I had time off work, was hoping to indulge and instead this BS.

I certainly cannot be the only one.

Anything that could remedy this?

2. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Do you play other games without problems? Just to rule out a faulty gpu.
    A good clean out of graphics card could help. Air duster etc.
    Check temps.

3. JRS

JRS Registered

System is already kept super clean and it's liquid cooled.

No, nothing else does it.

I figured out what the issue is/was. Upgraded RAM a month ago, which is about when this started becoming persistent. It seems a number of auto detections in the BIOS pushed a setting higher than rF2 seems to like. Like I said, nothing else triggers it.

AMS2, RRE, iracing, AC, Squad, and a handful of flight sims and nothing else triggers this.

Based on what resolved the problem, it seems that rF2 may have some kind of issue as to how it uses cpu cache. Last time it happened, there too, was nothing obvious that caused it, and last time I did nothing and it went away with whatever updates.

Thanks