Big gaps in AI performace

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kronzky, Feb 10, 2024.

1. Kronzky

Kronzky Registered

I noticed that there are some AI drivers that have exceptional times, even though the rest of the pack sticks pretty close together.
    e.g. on the historical Spa course most AIs are in the 3:20-3:22 range, but there's always one or two that are like 8-9 seconds ahead of everyone else (see scoreboard below). AI limiter & errors are set to 0, so I don't quite understand what's going on. Is it supposed to be like that?

[​IMG]

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Can't say for rF2, but in GTR2 we found an improperly formatted driver file would negate any values in that file. Thus the sim would ignore the limitations placed upon the car/driver by that (.rcd???) file(sorry memory is shot). So Jim & Moises may have either missing or a file that has some value(s) outside the range rF2 expects.

3. 8Ball

8Ball Registered

You would have to ask the mod maker.
    Wonder why they made 100% strength so fast ?
    Default is mid 3:30s
    Except for Jim Clark and Chris Amon all cars qualified over 3:30 in 1967-1968

The default 3 Eve F1 all lap similar, normal spread for historics 2-3 seconds, no bugs, 3:30's

Maybe the mod affects the cars that use the 3 default slots.

P.S. Default Alien ( 120% and 80% ) they do 3:23-3:26 same 3 second spread

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  4. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

The Lotus is always at least 3-4-secs faster than all the other cars on all tracks. I personally repacked the mod without the Lotus, it's the only way to have a decent race with this mod. I did post that the Lotus was a lot faster than all the other cars on the thread for the mod. If you don't want to repack the mod the easiest way is to boot the Lotus cars in the session controls when you get to the track.

DJCruicky, atomed and redapg like this.
  5. Kronzky

Kronzky Registered

LOL — yeah, I didn't even realize that it's always the Lotuses that outrun everybody. I just looked at the numbers, and they just didn't make sense.
    Oh well, guess I'll have to learn how to mod mods...

But you're saying that you have decent racing if you remove the Lotus?
    I don't have any luck racing against the AI. They constantly take me out as if I didn't exist (see here or here). Especially the 2nd example is pretty worrying. Even though the AI had hit me already, he keeps pushing me, as if he didn't realized I'm there.

6. Highlandwalker

In the oponent settings set the aggresion level to about 5-10%, high settings do not work well with some car mods. Adjust the oponent level so that they are no faster than 0.5 sec faster than your fastest lap, may take some experimenting to get this setting. Hope this is helpful.

7. Kronzky

Kronzky Registered

Thanks for all the tips!
    But I'm still struggling with the AI. (I went back to the "EVE" cars, since the Lotuses were way too fast — they were able to corner at roughly 1.7Gs, as opposed to about 1.1 for the EVEs, so it wasn't surprising that they were so fast.)
    I disabled the blocking, and now I can pass them without being taken out, so that's at least something.
    But when I adjust their performance to be close to mine, I end up with either one of two bad situations:
    a) I start at the front of the pack, and everybody's trying to pass me, leading to crashes. (AI seem to start on warm tires, as they have way more traction than I do at the start.)
    b) I start in the rear, but with their starting advantage and equal performance I can hardly ever catch up to them, and even if I do, I often end up rear-ending them as they often slow down waaay too early before a turn, or even brake in the middle of it.
    (I'm at 10% aggression & 0.0 for limiter/errors)

8. Highlandwalker

If your racing at Historic Spa there are two corners that the AI is very slow. Try setting aggression to 5% also try some different tracks, I would suggest Silverstone 75, Kyalami Historic and Spielberg Historic all are available on Steam. On these three tracks the AI is more consistent so you should be able to have a better race.

9. Kronzky

Kronzky Registered

Thanks again! I will try those tracks.
    (For now I stayed with just one track/one car, as I'm still very new to rFactor, and I wanted to keep the variables to a minimum. But perhaps I started out with an unfortunate combination, and thus the frustration.)