Better upgrade for Rfactor2, cpu or gpu

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by savedByYehoshua, Sep 30, 2013.

1. savedByYehoshua

savedByYehoshua Registered

Hello,

I had posted this in hardware section but thought I may get more views/response here (hope that is ok).

First, I am new to rfactor,rfactor2. Running a build PC about 3-4 years old mainly for flight sim cockpit that I have now made dual use: left seat for racing with Fanatec wheel and pedals, and right seat for flying (as first officer). Asus PQ5 turbo mb with Intel Core Duo E8600 wolfdale oc'd to 4.00 ghz. Egva GTX 260 896GB DDR3.

I have rfactor 2 running in 1600x1200 at AA level 2 using an overhead projector (if i go over level 2 AA at this res with 30 cars on track I get slideshow at some points on a track). I'd like to increase AA and other graphic settings.

Upgrading CPU on motherboard is not an option as CPU is maxed out for the socket type. So I am thinking of upgrading GPU to: EVGAGeForce GTX 660 FTW Signature 2 3GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 card for about $220 U.S.

Any opinions as to if I can increase AA and get better texture quality? Or is that GPU overkill for my setup?

Thanks,

Peter

2. Bart S

Bart S Member

I'd say yes GPU first, 4Ghz on an old core 2 is still pretty good or as good as you need for rF2. That card should be good enough for what your asking of it.

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The GTX 660 is a good card. The bigger vram alone should give you some nice improvements. Make sure to download Nvidia Inspector and try "2x Sparse grid Supersampling" on the rF2 profile to get rid of some jaggies.

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

+1

5. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

I upgraded from pentium dual core e6600 3,06GHz to amd fx 6100 (six cores) 3,3GHz and had no advantage in fps so i would go for the graphic card first.

6. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

If your budget allows, I would see if you can get a GTX670. That will give you much better performance.

At least in the UK there have been some great deals on 670s recently. I've seen them on offer for £170-180 which is a steal. Not sure how prices differ in the US.

7. savedByYehoshua

Thanks to all for the replies!

8. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

There have been some good deals on the GTX760 3 GB cards if you want slightly more current hardware than the 600-series. That said, there's nothing wrong with that... I'm still loving my 670 SC.

9. Bart S

Bart S Member

More GFX grunt goes a long way with rFactor2. 2GB is ample if you only intend for that resolution and no 3D. You'd probably hit 1.8GB max on any track. If its a problem i think you can reduce texture quality which really you will not notice any difference.

10. savedByYehoshua

Thanks to all answers... I have ordered EGVA GTX 760 Superclocked with 2GB. I'm still running Win XP btw as my server is also my Flight Sim server running fs9 and fsx and I'm not up to upgrading windows (yet). I'll report back my results with new card in a few days and I get it and install and tweak it.