Better game hosting in rFactor 2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jordan3878, Jul 28, 2011.

1. jordan3878

jordan3878 Registered

Hi, i was wandering.. in rFactor 2 will there will be easy ways to host a sever. and not have to go through firewalls to make ports to play, which is way difficult for some players to do. Why can't you just start a dedicated server and make it start an official server? instead of having to mess around with ports etc.

Please reply, thanks

jordan3878

2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

There is no other way due to how (inter)net works.
    Until user has no public IP - he will always face port forwarding issues if wants to be a game host.
    Since a lot of people (private networks or provider networks) fight against attempts of unauthorized access, some client users will have to setup firewalls allowing to pass game communication data.
    Note also, that real time communication must be done using UDP protocol, which is not such common as tcp being sometimes blocked by providers too, because of popular approach: deny all, accept some.

Believe me - there is nothing to do to make it better. It doesn't depends on game type or something. It is just consequence of networking technology

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2011
  3. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

I "wander" a lot too....;)

4. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Registered

Arrr...I wander too...especially if I have a couple of wobblies... ;)

5. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Well, MaXyM is right that you simply have to open the right ports to make a server work. The only thing that might help is to provide a utility that can talk UPnP to your router and do the configuration for you. That assumes two things:
    a) your router can be configured by UPnP
    b) you did not turn that off (some people are concerned about the security risks of allowing applications to open up ports by themselves).

6. Graag

Graag Registered

Configure your router to bridged mode, and the server will get public ip-address from your ISP.

7. Tripp

Tripp Registered

I host my server this way then servers just can be joined from lobby list not by rfactor spy or mutil or direct ip i like that the ip can still be seen on rfactor spy but i have done this way anyway so i can host so many servers i want not need open new ports for every new server i wanna start. o not rent servers i host them on my pc2 also i use edited files so server works better no delay in race starts and i can add so many drivers i want in every mod http://tripp.team-forum.net/t18-fibersserversettingsv10

the limit is just how much upload speed you have