Beta impressions.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sofo, May 22, 2013.

1. Armando

Armando Registered

This is only possible in Dev Mode, manually adjusting different settings.
    You cannot do this in offline or online "normal" modes, but it shows what the graphics engine is capable of.

2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ohhhhhh I thought u could save all these settings as an HDR profile and then apply them :(.

Clearly this shows the beauty of what RFactor 2's graphics engine is capable of, even at this early moment in it's development.

Also don't forget, a few months back ISI decided to completely re-write a bunch of graphics coding stuff. This was probably not in their original plans, and probably set them back quite a bit in their graphics development progression.

3. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

The big question is when RF2 will look like that though. That sort of graphical tweaking doesn't seem to be high on the priority list.

4. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Why should be?

5. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I must confess I am still in the "graphics are secondary to physics" camp but holy crap are those screenies of Tosch's luscious. First graphic AI have ever made my wallpaper. Stunning.

6. coops

coops Banned

y shouldn't it be ?

7. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Why dont we get this in the normal game now? why's it only confided to Devmode? #Confused

8. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Absolutely. Get a few screenshots of this quality out into the wild and this game will get a bit more attention, I'm sure of that.

9. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

One for the Q&A?

10. kotakotakota

kotakotakota Registered

ISI also keeps showing us things like this so I'm really hoping that means they are pulling it into the normal game soon. :D
    Physics is a greater priority for me as well but with these graphical improvements feeling so close, I can't help but really want them to come soon. Still wouldn't mind seeing some clutch improvements first though ;)

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Gosh very interesting things tosch, let's do this to all of the tracks !

12. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

If you applied these same changes to other tracks would it work or would it need to be custom? If custom, then would more complexity to HDR profile enable this kind of look to other tracks? Obviously graphics engine changes to eliminate need for this are preferable, but I was just curious.

13. Tosch

Tosch Registered

rF2 is a modding platform. There are already so many tracks with different (adjusted) textures that I believe it is a good addition to have the choice to load a custom hdr profile, but in the end we need some kind of "master profile" from ISI to set a standard for modders and give them a basis to adjust their textures.

14. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Makes sense. Thanks.

15. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Would HDR profiles that yield the beauty of those screen shots have a significant FPS cost? Lord knows I don't need that.

16. oqvist

oqvist Registered

It has an insane performance cost like 100-150 % on my computer at Mid Ohio.

17. stonec

stonec Registered

I'd suggest ISI hires this guy or at least takes a note of what is presented here. Especially the sky turbidity setting seems to make a huge difference for me. Secondly, the default daytime (e.g. 12 am) shaders are too dull. In the morning the road and cars reflect nicely, but not in daytime. This was better in the first rFactor2 build I re-tested some time ago (see difference between View attachment 8016 and View attachment 8017 ). As 90% of people won't bother to use other than the default HDR profile, these changes to the core are absolutely essential in my opinion.

18. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

What's going on with that reflection?

19. rss334

rss334 Registered

Just being honest but with HDR on it still does not look as good as project cars.

20. peterchen

peterchen Registered

best comment ever! :rolleyes: