Best way to try a new build? (how to roll back)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GCCRacer, Mar 3, 2014.

1. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Hi Guys

If I want to try B494 with the ability to move back onto 300 (because 342 gave me really bad performance), then I suppose copying the CORE folder and maybe .plr file will do?

regards

Helmut

2. smithaz

smithaz Registered

I think basically the user data folder and plugins folder is what I tend to save. I think you can have 2 installations of rF at the same time, I have done it in the past for unstable builds.

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Just simply create a folder "rf2B494" or what ever in where ever you want and install to that,
    Just use the .exe in that new folder once installed& setup options/controller again in that new build to be super super safe safe -that your not conflicting anything in the old build with the new build

Worked fine for me

P.s obviously copy the packages (cars/tracks from original installation) to the new installation & use that mod manager to activate them

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  4. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Thanks guys!

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If you want to maintain two installations, it's really not that hard. If you install using the installer, install core for build 1 to something like program files/rfactor2382, and the data to documents/rfactor2382, then you can use the installer (lite) to simply install, changing the paths for the second installation. The core points at whichever data dir it is told to in the data.path file, which can be opened in notepad. When I am updating the servers, I overwrite the core with the lite installer in each directory, and let the data overwrite a data directory path i'm not using. Then I manually edit the data.path files for each core. There's a few ways to do it.

6. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Thanks. That also sounds to me like if I want to keep the data files, then I just backup the Core Folder and run the installer. But for example the .plr file is in DATA and still might get irreversible changed by an upgrade?

7. 88mphTim

I don't think the installer installs a plr file... I thin kthe software just reads and writes to it. Creating it when it doesn't yet exist.

8. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Yes that is true, I'm just not sure if a newer version PLR might have entries overwritten or new value ranges that would crash an older version.

So maybe that's the one thing from the DATA part that's good to keep.

9. 88mphTim

AFAIK it shouldn't overwrite settings unless we tell it to, which would be rare. I think we alter the multiplayer.ini setting to us ethe old collision code with B494.

10. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Sounds like good design/programming to me... so basically the CORE folder does the update, the DATA folder stays. Simple enough really... thanks for the clarifications.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I haven't tested whether it replaces, but I think this was done the 'other' way: the parameter is now "New_Prediction_Algorithm" instead of "New Prediction Algorithm", so the previous parameter is just ignored.

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

When dealing with more than one installation of rF2 you need to watch out when installing or uninstalling content. There are two directory settings. One for the packages and one for the installed content.

The packages one is by default in the data folder of each installation. However it is cleaner to have one common folder in an independent installation which I tipycally name without the build number and where I also keep plugins or settings I want to ba maintaining the typical rf2 folder structure.

For the content folder, the data folder of each installation should be selected. This is done by default after installimg each build and opening mod manager from launcher. However, if you later open another installation launcher and click on manage mods, the content folder will be the one of the last time you used modmanager, not necessarily the one of the install you launched it from.

CONCLUSION: Check the content folder when you use mod manager. If you see something weird is because it is probably looking for installed content somewhere else than you might expect.

BTW I have perceived weird behaviour in new mod manager as I posted in bug report section.

enviado mediante tapatalk

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Best way to try a new build

1. Rename you rFactor2 folder to rFactor2 whatever

2. Create a new folder rFactor2 manually ie: before install

3. Install Lite build of choice point to the rFactor2 folder

4. Redo all settings as you would your very first install ie: no backups

Make any install correspond with the original folder location, not the other way around ?

That way any predefined shortcuts will work as normal and it uses same registry.

To swap builds change 2 folder names and boot from same shortcuts as always.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
  14. mavericckk

mavericckk Registered

well, i'm just copy my old build folder to other place and install the new build. and I play one or the other without problems.
    but I see that the servers don't want roll back. the way is to stay hurting and waiting for a new build .i haven't CTDs running the new build .its good.

15. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Sorry to bring this topic up one last time...

Am I right to assume that the DATA folder is a good backup of all mods?

I'm pretty anal about keeping the RFCMP files for the good stuff I use regulary, but I also do a once-a-month full image of my Solid State Disk.

So I suppose one could do a LITE installer install, and then copy the data folder over from a disk image/other backup of the installed game folder?