Best way to package skins for a league?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KingKenny04, Jan 17, 2016.

1. KingKenny04

KingKenny04 Registered

Hey all, having some trouble with skins in rF2. I apologize if it seems this has been asked before, but none of what I've read on these forums answers my questions really.

Me and a few other guys are planning a stock car league in the next few weeks and we'd like to be able to put out a skin pack for everybody to download. At the moment the auto-download feature for multiplayer is kind of unreliable. Quite a few people had custom skins that just would not transfer and download for some reason, or had updated their skins and rfactor 2 refused to overwrite them. In addition, people were getting kicked from the server for their vehicles not passing some server filter, despite the fact that they had created their new drivers off the updated 1.04 version of the stock cars (the 2014-2015 issue with the veh file).

In order to make sure everybody's skins all show up correctly, I'd like to find a way to package up a skin pack for everybody to install but I'm running into some issues. At first I just tried creating new drivers with each of the custom skins sent to me and then renaming the .rcd files to the drivers names. They worked fine on my install, but when others tried to drag and drop these skin folders and .rcds into their UserData/player/settings/ISI_STOCKCAR_2015 folder, some or all of the new drivers would not show up in the car select window. What I'm guessing is happening is that when I create a new driver off an existing skin, some file somewhere is being edited to show that a new car is being added, and because the people who just dragged and dropped this pack did not create the car themselves, whatever file this is on their install was not edited and therefore does not allow the new drivers to show for selection.

Now, I recently ran the Nords24, and what the P1-Simracing guys did is have us send our skins to them, which they then put into a custom "league" mod and had us download and install, so that our skins showed up as default skins part of the mod. I'd like to try this but I have no idea how. I tried extracting the ISI stockcar rfmod with the mas tool but that didn't work. I'm not sure how best to go about packaging these skins.

2. redapg

redapg Registered

You got a PM.

3. KingKenny04

KingKenny04 Registered

Thanks very much, will check it out when I get home :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/27256-Historic-F3-Eve-Community-Pack

Try the pack above out ( Links in Post #1 ) check the packaging, MatF1 in thread be happy to help.

This method works spot-on and was designed specifically to eliminate the need for skin transfers.

Run no transfers, no loose skins, no Virtual Cars or .rcd files

You get no warping when a lot of cars are joining.

You can run Guest cars like the F3-Eve Pack.
    Add new drivers with updates.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2016
  5. KingKenny04

KingKenny04 Registered

THanks for the replies, I got the addon pack to work but I'm having some trouble getting some of the added skins to actually work. The skins all show up in the selection menu just fine, and SOME of the skins show up properly when you select and click "tuning" to see them in the showroom. However, about five or six of the skins I added switch to the Renault Clio when clicking on "tuning". I'm not sure why this is happening. I checked the .veh files that were packaged in the .mas, they're all setup correctly and I don't see anything different between the skins that work and the skins that don't. Anyone recognize this issue?

6. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

What I noticed is that if you create a new team/car and add the new skin there, it won't be transferred to the others some times. Plus, the .rcd files are created with increasing numbers, and could be overwrite with skins downloaded from other drivers.

The best way to do it, is to create a .mas file into an existing car that come with the MOD. The .mas file can't be longer than 12 characters, but you can use longer file names on the .dds into the .mas file. These skins are transferred always without problems and their size is smaller than the .dds.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Like I said..............

DOWNLOAD our mod and test it.

When you work out that our Community pack skins work flawlessly contact MatF1 ..... or not. :)

Listen I not being big headed or silly I HAVE TESTED ALL COMMUNITY SKIN PACKS on and offline

OURS is BEST CONCEPT and METHOD ............full stop , no arguments !@!

Or before anyone argues ............. TEST our MOD. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2016
  8. KingKenny04

KingKenny04 Registered

What I've done is added brand new skins and veh files to a .mas file and packaged that .mas file into an rfcmp that installs as an "update" to the ISI StockCars mod. Some of the skins are working but some skins just switch to the Renault Clio when selected.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get me to do. I downloaded your mod and its fine for a mod I guess, but it doesn't tell me anything about your "method" or how you got your addon skins to work.

9. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

For online racing:

You don't need to make a new package. You just need to create a .mas file with the .dds files into it. Then, go offline, select a car, press "tunning button", and then "create directory". Go to the directory you created and copy the .mas you made. After this, you could select the new skin as an alternative skin of the car which you created the directory.

For offline racing, to see cars using the new skins, you will need to create new cars as you descrived. in the first post.

10. KingKenny04

KingKenny04 Registered

As I said in the first post, the reason we're making a new package is that the method you're describing doesn't work. Only about half the skins created this way actually show up in game. Some of them result in the server kicking for "wrong filter" or something, some of them just will not download for the other players so we end up running a race with about half the field in plain white cars.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

True enough.

But that is without seeing the advantage to making a "closed no transfer pack" that you obviously have never tested online.

Do the tests and get some facts. ;)

12. KingKenny04

KingKenny04 Registered

Mate you're not getting this. I get that you're really excited about your pack, but you can't just say "download it" and expect me to magically understand how you made it. I HAVE downloaded it, its a fine mod, but unless you explain how you made it, its just another mod as far as I can tell.

13. KingKenny04

KingKenny04 Registered

Okay I figured out the issue. I guess rF2 doesn't really like it when the veh file has ".DDS" in all caps and the skin itself has ".dds" all lowercase. All skins work now.

Huge thanks to redapg for his method!