Best shaders for typical materials (and reasons)

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by SPASKIS, Apr 20, 2014.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I open this thread in order to put some light in the tunnel of track modding for rF2. I understand that each type of material (grass, asphalt, concrete, fences, bricks, sand, gravel, trees, wood, metal, glass, rocks, etc) would be best represented by a specific shader within the available ones. For sure there could be several approaches for some of the mentioned materials with some advantages and disadvantages. However, I would think that for others a main baseline will be generally accepted and for the "tough" ones the different approaches could be well described in order to have sufficient info to decide which fits best for each specific case.

I will edit this second post (which I will reserve right after posting) regularly trying to update it with the info that is posted within the thread by the real experts of track modding among which I do not include myself, just in case someone wonders...

enviado mediante tapatalk

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Reserved for future updates

3. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Gravel trap shader: for decals, walls, curbs, Road-grass decal transition.

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

5. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I understand that for transparent transitions on the road, the shader you propose works good. However, I will update the second post in the opposite way: material->shader.
    It seems clear that painted decals can be considered a material itself.

What I do not understand very well is the term "wall" since it is "too generic". A wall can be made from many materials and I do not agree that the shame shader will fit all.

What I do not like from all this shader thing is that it seems to depend on things as transparency or reflections to select one or other shader. Alpha channel should be left for what it is and not mix it with different purposes such as reflections. It should be thought in a more general way thinking about materials and transitions. I think it is a constant build up maintaining old fashioned shaders that should never be used in modern tracks. Maybe it is my ignorance but it seems completely illogic to me actual system.

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Nice to have that link. I'll check when I get home from easter break. The mobile phone is definitely no the best tool to check it :).

The idea of this thread is more theoretical.

The best way IMO to put in into practice would be a scn file which would contain a great variety of textures and objects. It would be huge to load but it could be a great reference for modders. The landscape would be real. Maybe the recreation of a real location with a great variety of roads grasses trees objects could be build within the community divided into several independent regions that would be stuck together later.

I would propose a place close to the sea, to a small city and to the mountains. It would be nice if it was real but I think the for practical reasons it is better if it was fictional to avoid difficulties and to let each one do whatever he wants. Of course all of the parts should be driveable by themselves. In order to do that a rough general sketch of how the whole scn will be divided should be agreed between people willing to contribute to it.

7. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Check the video in my thread... it is an example of what I hope to achieve.