Belgium 1966 BrabhamBT20

Discussion in 'Online Racing Discussion' started by mancslo, Oct 1, 2017.

1. mancslo

mancslo Registered

vegaguy5555, Alexandr Meshkov and Jon like this.
  2. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Cool. Look forward to trying it when it goes up.

vegaguy5555 and Jon like this.
  3. Jon

Jon Registered

Had great fun on Sunday on that server, best combo that exists in any sim in my opinion.

The result of Sunday's practice sessions can be found here:
    http://mancslo.liveracers.com/Results

Looking forward to next Sunday, hopefully some more guys will join.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  4. Alexandr Meshkov

Alexandr Meshkov Registered

Any schedule?

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  5. Jon

Jon Registered

I normally see it up on Sundays, roughly about GMT time in the late morning until late afternoon. Just type in 'Belgium" on Sunday on the server screen and you should see it. Not sure if he puts it up any other day.

vegaguy5555 and Alexandr Meshkov like this.
  6. mancslo

mancslo Registered

Great news there.
    24/7 is coming. Stay in touch...

7. Jon

Jon Registered

Great to hear! The only Brabham BT20 server is about to become 24/7 :)

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  8. mancslo

mancslo Registered

Now its on for today...

9. Jon

Jon Registered

Great news. But I have to work today but will be on tomorrow for sure. Cheers for doing that, much appreciated :)

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  10. Christopher Snow

I was wondering how I missed it Sunday (and just now again, it seems), but knowing the relative time explains it (I'm GMT -7). Will remain on the lookout for it "down the road."

11. Jon

Jon Registered

I got the impression from his penultimate post that it's soon to be 24/7. Not sure if he's still using his own server or is switching to a third-party host. Just type in "Belgium" on the server screen whenever you're online and it might pop up.

12. Christopher Snow

I did find it and was just on for a bit. Really haven't run the Brabham anywhere, so there is a fairly steep learning/wrenching curve. The servername I saw was: slo-racing.com BrabhamBT20

As it happens my league guys are running an Assetto Corsa '67 GPL type Fun race at Fuji '68 this week too (Lotus 49, and the new Ferrari 312), and even though I have a lot of GPL seat time back in the day, I'm quite new to all three of these cars in these sims, so it's pretty interesting. Plus there is the 917K at a surprisingly accurate version of Osterreichring* (rF2) over at SR4L, so I'm getting a very good dose of "throwback" these days. :D What's not to like?

[* That version does have the Hella Light/Hella Licht chicane, which isn't "period" for the 917, but the rest of it seems as good as any version I've seen anywhere--it's called "Spielberg Historic" I think (and Race Department has it I do believe).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    vegaguy5555, jimagn and Jon like this.
  13. jimagn

jimagn Registered

Hope to join you on track soon, Christopher. The BT20 is probably my favorite sim vehicle of all time.

14. mancslo

mancslo Registered

Yea, slo-racing will be in the future. That server set for us sir Božo :). Yust wait to setup liveracers acount.

Jon likes this.
  15. Jon

Jon Registered

I've just been on the server as a quick test and it's running well. If you'd appreciate a donation in regard to any setup costs please let me know your PayPal account and I'll send you a "gift" transfer. Not sure how much the total cost is, but I was thinking of a donation of $5 a month, at least while it's using the Brabham BT20 on an historical circuit. If a few regulars make a similar contribution it should cover all the costs.

Hopefully in the future we can get some organised half or full distance races (14 or 28 laps) with variable weather conditions going. Although until then it's best to stick with 5 lap races to encourage participation.

There seems to be some pretty competent drivers (the fastest I saw was 3.38) but the language barrier could cause a problem in organising the races.

16. Christopher Snow

I was off and on last night over the course of several hours, but didn't see anyone else. May try again tonight (I'm GMT-7) unless our guys get together for Fuji practice.

I took a fair number of screenshots to compare the view from the Brabham to the one I'm seeing in the AC L49/F312's, trying to get them the same, and each is helping a bit with the other, but I'll need to reconfigure again once I remount my projector higher up (hopefully before the weekend). My cockpit is loosely dimensioned after the Lotus 49, which happens to be close too to the 917 (my favorite car), so getting the view right for one should help with both (and the other F1 cars too). I'm built like Dan Gurney*, and lining up the instruments to be seen through the wheel, but not blocked by the shadow of my head is a chore at the moment.

[* which means I probably would never fit inside a 917 coupe--as if there were a chance anyway...<sigh>]

I did notice that if you camber the [front] wheels in fully with the Brabham it's actually quite clear visually (you can lean them inward more than 3 degrees with the BT20). If I had ever seen that before with any car, I don't remember it.

17. Jon

Jon Registered

It's exactly details like this that make the Brabham BT20 the perfect sim example of a sixties F1 car. It may not be the perfect replica of the BT20 (the wheels are noticeably larger for instance), but I believe it handles and behaves pretty much exactly as the cars of that decade did.

Normally the servers are busier at weekend; I've got to work during the week so haven't got much free time :( May pop on tonight if I get a chance though.

18. Christopher Snow

It does seem to be better than a lot of others (which means "slower," too), at least on first impression. I have managed just two timed laps @3:44/3:45, but was off on a bumpy-ride-through-the-Ardennes on both. 3:38 seems quite fast from where I am at the moment.

FWIW, the car DOES seem to demand something realistic in the differential area (unlike many others), so I'm currently set at 75/75/3...and it's not swapping ends suddenly. Also set up for pretty much maximum push to combat the same tendency. In that regard the combination of track grip (which seems to be considerably reduced in areas where the pavement is badly broken up) and the tire model grip are giving a laptime which is at least in the ballpark for similar cars of the 3 liter era...as best I remember at the moment, anyway. So I don't think I'll be surpassing Gurney's '67 Eagle pole-time in this '66 Brabham anytime soon. :D

Jon likes this.
  19. Christopher Snow

Ran some with Jon (and ran into the back of him too...twice! :-( ) and it seems I missed Santiago while afk. Going back in for a bit more now.

Best of 3:38.3, and I think it'll go 35 when the fuel load is down (and it's warmed up).

20. Christopher Snow

In case anyone is struggling, I'm attaching the fastest setup I've built so far. Haven't got 'round in 35 with it, but it did go 3:37.3

Attached Files:

Alexandr Meshkov and Jon like this.