Been debating purchasing rf2, few questions *Purchased*

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShuhDonk, Apr 12, 2015.

1. ShuhDonk

ShuhDonk Registered

Hey all, one thing I remember about rfactor 1 (have not played it in years and years, got it when first released and played it for a couple years) is content was a pain in the ass to keep straight.. meaning whenever I tried to join an online race I had to get such and such car and track that was the correct version and half the time you ended up not evening getting into a race because it was just a mess of random content and versions and no good organized way of getting it. Is this still an issue with rfactor 2? Its a good thing its open for modding but that also can be a double edged sword without a good way of distributing that content so everyone can easily install and keep up to date with it.

How are online races? At any given time is it pretty easy to hop into an online race? This is what I love about iracing, its so organized, I love how its setup. As far as the sim itself I really like iracing but with having assetto corsa and messing with rf 2 demo I think the physics/ffb may be better with ac and rf2.

The biggest concern for me though is the content and the approach isi took this time around to organize it all. I don't want to go through the frustration of constantly trying to find some random car version and track version just to hop into a race. I know a league would eliminate this issue but I like just randomly jumping into an online session with other racers. I am in a league in iracing and love it, but also love at any given time jumping into a practice sessions or official iracing race with others any time I want and it just works.

Thanks all

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2015
  2. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

ISI has taken steps to minimize the mismatch issue with the package system. It has it's pros and cons, but for joining online races it generally works much better with less issues. The other "upside" is that modding with rF2 hasn't taken off nearly as much as rF1 so there is a lot less content to keep track of anyways. With the updated launcher, it should make keeping content up to speed even easier than what it already is.

Online you are going to want to join a league, pick up racing is "sort of" there if that is your thing. Depends on your time zone, but either way it's far less populated and there are far fewer content options to choose from than either iRacing or AC.

3. msportdan

msportdan Banned

they have taken their sweet time I wont lie about that. but now RF2 is in a position to be finally taken seriously as a pC sim ,and not just some unfinshed beta/alpha/demo, me and others have labelled it before.

I don't play online, so I speak for the AI and its offline content... Theres enough there to keep you occupied until the mods start getting their act together, and realise this is the only decent mod platform worth modding on.!!!

Not to mention it has the best AI in any sim atm.

4. bwana

bwana Registered

Still can be hard to find a server with content you already have get.mod works and saves the searching the net for tracks and cars but depending on your connection and download speed can mean a prolonged wait.. Compared to AC system its much better but not instant. Servers running ISI content only are rare unfortunately but that would make pickup races a sinch. There is a stack of 3rd party content out there of varying quality just as rf1 had and as its an infant by comparison content growth is expanding at a pleasing rate now.

5. Squeeekmo

Squeeekmo Registered

The Junior Rotax Karts Vs AI at Mountain Peak is worth the money alone. Spent about 15 hours over the weekend lapping and tinkering. So realistic and with more setup options to come, should only get better.

6. ShuhDonk

ShuhDonk Registered

Thanks for the reply all, I went ahead and purchased the lifetime option.. hopefully I will like it! :)

7. bwana

bwana Registered

Money well spent.. Remember its getting better every week.

8. P.S.R.

P.S.R. Registered

Grats. Tell us what you think. Understanding your interest in pickup racing, I nonetheless believe you might find the depth of physics alone mesmerizing. My first impression of rF2 even in the early days was that it was so deep, even without all the yummy dynamics, that no two laps were the same and the search for the perfect lap was truly endless :)

9. ShuhDonk

ShuhDonk Registered

Ohh, another question.. my wheel is set at 540 degrees in game with no option to change, even though my wheel is actually set to 900 in the wheel and driver (fanatec clubsport). Ideas on how to fix that?

10. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I set my wheel to be on OFF for rotation and let rF2 adjust my rotation according to that set by the car. If the car is 612º then you'll get that. 540º, 540º. As long as it is on Vehicle Set.

11. ShuhDonk

ShuhDonk Registered

Ahh that makes sense, ok.

So, I go into multi player.. there is not a single thing in the list I can join, says mod not installed. I downloaded everything in the list under content on the rf2 launcher as well. That is a little frustrating.. I don't even know what I need or where to go to get the stuff in order to join any of them. :/

12. bwana

bwana Registered

There is 1 isi server running l think.should be able to join that. 3rd party mods and tracks are popular so you may need to allow getmod to do its thing

13. Minibull

Minibull Member

It should tell you what you need, mine comes up with the components used and let's me know what is present or what is not. Then it gives me a get mod button iirc, and so long as the admin has sorated their stuff out, it dl's the bits needed.

14. ShuhDonk

ShuhDonk Registered

What is getmod?

15. bwana

bwana Registered

It's a game feature. When you click race and the rfmod loads if you need content getmod feature will download it to your game. If server is set up correctly that is.

16. TPG

TPG Registered

If you go into Single Player/Options/Controller, right under Wheel Rotation is Vehicle Set, un-check that and you should be able to set your rotation where you want..Regarding server content, check out the Downloadable Cars/Tracks/Plugins ISI forum section and you'll find a lot of the current content being hosted on servers there, and as mentioned, Servers with GetMod Enabled will let you download their content right there via "Get Missing Components"..granted, depending on how much there is to download will determine how long it will take before you can join, But, once you have it (Mod/Track) you won't have to download it again (unless there's an update..)

Our TPGsimracing.com MWM servers have GetMod Enabled, we're currently hosting the Apex GT3 mod v0.91 (6 Models=approx 670+mb) on the Test server running VLM Sebring v2.0 and our SS15 is running Fuji, Birmingham & Sebring (currently).. I listed the contents to give you an idea of how much you would have to download via Get Missing Components if you joined our server(s) and didn't already have it, another nice thing is the Game will automatically install everything for you once it's finished downloading.

17. ShuhDonk

ShuhDonk Registered

Just spent some time driving the porche gt3 at sebring on TPGsimracing.com server, very nice, a lot of fun!

18. rer8

rer8 Registered

You might also try one of the two "Cactus Racing" servers. The number of racers vary, and "Cactus" does an excellent job of selecting cars and tracks. The getmod feature is generally quick and complete. Hope to cya there. If you select the Down Arrow on the game name, his servers are typically near the top of the first page.

19. Scott Beck

Scott Beck Registered

You made a good choice buying RF2. It's the best sim out there.

20. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Yeah, as far as racing sims go, you won't find anything better than rFactor 2.

Have you had time to try out other combos yet?
    If so please let us know your impressions. :)

Always nice with new users. :)