Basic modding of car properties (Skippy)

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by GCCRacer, Mar 12, 2014.

1. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Hi all,

First off, I'm a totally newbie to RF2 modding. I've done a tiny bit with NFS Shift, so in theory I know how to unpack, change stuff, repack.

For strictly offline use (no cheating anyone ;) ) I want to change the Skippy to run default on NATIONAL tires. Because I created a bunch of "virtual vehicles" with custom skins to race against, but they are using "default tuning" and that means regional tires.

I figured I could just fool around with the upgrades.ini file in the car MAS, but seems to me any edit on the MAS renders the whole mod inactive because of a checksum in the MFT file.

So the question is twofold:

1) Which is the easiest way to change Skippy default tires?
    2) Do I really need to create a custom "mod", .rfcmp everything or how do I regenerate the MFT file?

2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

You have to extract the MAS, edit the file and then repack the rfcmp with the updated MAS. The other option is to install devmode and then extract the car there. Then changes work more like they did in rf1. You simply change the loose file and the restart rf2.

I am on my phone right now but when I get back to a computer I will give you a simple guide on the first option. I actually wrote I little utility that automates a lot of the packaging process.

3. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Noel, appreciate any pointers, but I actually found some... so I guess I have to use the C button on the MAS tool.

It's going to suck a little for testing because I'm not sure what exactly to change in the INI for the tires, so it'll be trial and error... maybe I should look into devmode but that seems a lot of overhead for a single change (I don't plan on doing this often).

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Getting a car in devmode isn't that difficult. If you has to do a bunch of trial and error that is the way to go. I will do a little write up on that for you.

5. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Hi, thanks, I think I got it now. It's ugly but hopefully works.

I modified the upgrades.ini

UpgradeClass="Skip_Barber_Regional"
    {
    AIList
    {
    Series=1
    }
    }

UpgradeClass="Skip_Barber_National"
    {
    AIList
    {
    Series=0
    }
    }

Series 0 has the treaded tire and Series 1 the slick.

So basically just swapped Series 0 and 1 around. Does this seem like it does the trick to you??? - besides the Regional and National naming now being off.
    It seems the AI is using National tires by default, so Virtual Vehicles created from the Skippy use the Slicks.

I then packaged the three MAS in a single component file and installed successful.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  6. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Hmm, spoke to early.

Obviously it's not enough to repack the three MAS files, I would also need to include the sound and talent folders - but they are referenced as Skip Barber and not with the new mod name.

Damn, this is just too complicated.

7. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Okay, got it done. But while it works if I create and install three separate components (talent, sound, car) it doesn't work if I create a Multi component (it installs fine but is not visible in the car selection screen...)